Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How clumsy should a young puppy be?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IncaThePup, Nov 23, 2012.

1. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

How well co-ordinated or clumsy would a 2 month puppy be?

JJ's legs seems to go from under him sometimes I thought it was just my vinyl flooring but he's done it on the rug too.

He's scratching alot at minute I'm hoping he just needs frontline or something as he has a long coat, maybe a bath would help till I see vet on Tuesday for some puppy frontline?

I think I'm worried after also researching small breeds and particularly SM in cavaliers. Is this something Border Collies can get?

Lastly can their colouring change? Here's his original breeders pics:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/109157332091727887225/albums/5805483449820399297?banner=pwa

the first close up I took of his face after he arrived he now has 3 black spots on his nose and I'm not sure if its me but his white stripe that goes back over his head seems alot narrower and more black as he looked more like a panda in the face originally!

He is showing signs of been bright, he took his little ball up the slope and pushed it down with his nose which made me laugh and he can already pull the velcro back on my trainers.

He's still gets a bit obsessed with nipping at feet which makes it tricky with me been in wheelchair he's nearly been run over a few times. I'm hoping its just cos he's teething and stage will pass when he gets his adult teeth (can someone remind me when that is?..can't remember from Inca).

Am I just been paranoid or is it something as simple as him needing a bath and some frontline and his coat changing as he loses his puppy coat and adult one comes in?

2. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

I forgot to upload the pic I took..lol! Here it is:

Attached Files:

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Rudi is massively clumsy and uncoordinated and Kilo was too!

Could the scratching be anything to do with getting used to wearing a collar? Is it just a new collar being scratched?

4. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

If you look closely at the pics in your link you can see a couple of the tiny black spots :thumbup: xx

5. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

with my Border collie pup her markings didn't change as such but she has two white stripes on the back of her neck they were really close together but as she has been growing they have gone further apart. :)

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ive found that alot of markings change either colour or size as they age. Its probably just more noticeable with white bits! Adam pretty much lost the white tip to his tail when he grew up and Heidi went from having a black and tan head to a tan head with black edges!
    All puppies are really clumsy too. But then when you think how fast they are growing its not surprising really.;)

7. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

Someone has told me about 'mottling' and that her pup's eyes changed colour 3 times.

He hasn't got a collar yet I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I might try giving him a bath in the kitchen sink tomorrow with Inca's dog shampoo and see if that helps till we can get some Frontline on Tuesday.

He has got a longer coat than Inca and hasn't had a brush yet. I've just been letting him get settled and with Inca been funny with him I completely forgot about brushing him!

It has hard enough for him staying still long enough for me to get tape around him to measure for his harness..lol!

He's scratching with back legs against tummy and back of his head. I'll see if it improves after a bath tomorrow and Frontline next Tuesday.

I've never had a dog this young so wasn't sure if them being very clumsy was normal for his age. He has started exploring the slope in my back garden whereas when he first came he wouldn't go up.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think some pups are quite clumsy. I had 2 standard poodle pups, one was very elegant and gracious in her movement and the other one was still tripping over her feet and totally uncoordinated at 4 months.

9. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

You need to check if the dog shampoo is ok for young puppies as some aren't also when you go to the vets ask for stronghold as frontline is no longer effective especially if he has fleas.

It does sound like he might have fleas from where he is scratching and if he does then you will need to treat Inca and the house as well.

HTH

10. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Puppies can be very clumsy Sam is still all legs when he runs now. He was teething at around 5 months if I remember rightly and now at eight months has started chewing things again which I think is due to his teeth settling into place.

Agree with Kittenfostermummy I would get something from the vets to flea him with as frontline can be a bit hit and miss. Did the breeder tell you when they had been flead and wormed? Do you have a flea comb that you can go over him with while you wait for some treatment.

11. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

The shampoo I have is Bob Martins Flea Shampoo and says for Dogs and Puppies from 12 weeks. He was born 23rd September so think that makes him 8-9 weeks? (my maths is terrible!)

Maybe just a bath in warm water in the washing up sink will help and giving him a brush?

Any recommendations for flea stuff for the house or what I can buy for him? it probably be cheaper from somewhere like vet-medic than from the vets.

I'm already have to pay full cost of home visit cos they say appointment will be longer as they have to examine him and then cost of vaccinations course which is not covered by insurance either so I'm probably looking at about £200 by time I got something like Frontline too. They usually only charge me half for cost of home visit cos the village surgery is not wheelchair accessible at all. (converted semi detached house all treatment rooms are upstairs)

I have got a £10 for Amazon maybe they got some Flea treatments I'll have a look.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice