UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well cats protection has officially released that they are making redundancies. One of the main reasons is because they lost 11 million in the iceland bank collapse.

Now they have said they want to make 4 members of staff redundant where my mum is deputy manager. They only have 8 full time staff and one part time. They have also said the dont want care or hygiene standards to slip. How are they thinking they are going to achieve this?? Volunteers. Except its in the middle of no where. There is a bus that goes past, one a week but thats it. So there arent a huge amount of people that dont work but can afford to get to dalbury lees.

The new build they had built is an extra 15 pens, this was done at the beginning of the year. The designers and builders did not listen to the staff and they have ended up with 15 pens and outdoor runs that take 6 hours to clean alone. Then there is isolation that needs to be done by one person a day only for disease control purposes. Nursery also needs doing by one person a day because it is the cats that have been there for less then 2 weeks and they could be harboring anything. Then corridor one, corridor 2 and the feral garden (a small building with just beds, litter trays and a cat proof garden, for long stay residents)

How are they going to do this?? Head office doesnt want care or hygiene to slip but they arent going to have a choice?? Four years ago they knew that they were going to run out of money and yet they did nothing and now they have to deal with the aftermath and the poor cats are going to have less and less human interaction and if volunteers arent found then disease control is going to be non existent. It makes me angry to think that i am hand rearing babies that may have to go there before be rehomed and they are not going to get the care and attention they deserve because head office fudged up :mad: :mad: :mad:

A little bit of a happy note, just spoke to my mum and she said that they had 24 cats reserved over the weekend and 17 that have gone to new homes. This is a mass improvement because lately they going weeks without having any adopted.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh they have also been informed that because of the redundancies they can no longer do home checks, so they are going to be rehoming cats without even knowing where people live

·
Registered
965 Posts
It's frustrating but they have lost a lot of money (at no fault of there own).

A lot of companies to avoid redundancies are making all staff sign up to a pay cut and reduction of hours. Maybe your mother could suggest this to her branch as an alternative?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's frustrating but they have lost a lot of money (at no fault of there own).

A lot of companies to avoid redundancies are making all staff sign up to a pay cut and reduction of hours. Maybe your mother could suggest this to her branch as an alternative?
A pay cut wouldnt work, simply because in a normal average month the vet bill for just the derby centre is £10,000. That is where they are struggling

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
How can you say that the loss of money was through no fault of their own????
The put their money in a bank that had NO international guarantee at an interest rate everyone at that time knew was ridiculously high.
I looked into it for my own private savings and decided aginst it because even I sensed that at an interest that much higher than anyone elses it was BOUND to be high-risk investments.

But the boards of many businesses were blinded by greed, they WANTED to believe you can get something for nothing. It WAS their fault for being utterly stupid and utterly greedy.
If even I, with no banking or investing knowledge, can see it is too much of a risk to take, because the usual security is not given off for this particular bank, why can't they???
Because they REFUSE to use their brains, that's why.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The put their money in a bank that had NO international guarantee at an interest rate everyone at that time knew was ridiculously high.
I looked into it for my own private savings and decided aginst it because even I sensed that at an interest that much higher than anyone elses it was BOUND to be high-risk investments.

But the boards of many businesses were blinded by greed, they WANTED to believe you can get something for nothing. It WAS their fault for being utterly stupid and utterly greedy.
If even I, with no banking or investing knowledge, can see it is too much of a risk to take, because the usual security is not given off for this particular bank, why can't they???
Precisely they got greedy and it blew up in their face, now the 189 cats and kittens in the derby branch have to suffer for it along with the thousands of others across the country

·
Banned
353 Posts

There's no guarantee for any savings or investments for organisations.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Do not talk to me like i am stupid. They knew it was going to happen and still did nothing, i think you are going to be the first ever person on my ignore list, well done to you.
How do you know that they did nothing? It sounds to me as if you're more bothered about your mother than the animals' welfare.

And I asked you what you suggest they do - not what you suggest they did.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you know that they did nothing? It sounds to me as if you're more bothered about your mother than the animals' welfare.

And I asked you what you suggest they do - not what you suggest they did.:rolleyes:
Because up until 4 months ago i worked for them, that is how i know they did nothing. My mums business is her own, not mine. I am very very 'bothered' about their welfare, seeing as i am currently hand rearing 4 kittens for them and i know that when they go back to the centre they are not going to receive the standard of care which they should be.

What i suggest they do is stop building more centres, which they are currently building 2 more, and concentrate on the ones they already have. I suggest they start appealing to vets and see if employing their own vet at centres would be cheaper then using others. I suggest they stop giving staff uniform allowances and buy there own, that way they can claim tax from them. I suggest they try making redundancies in head office, especially when senior employees are sitting on a chushy £30,000 a year wage.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Because up until 4 months ago i worked for them, that is how i know they did nothing.
So you worked at their head office and had access to all meetings and were privy to all the legal action going on? No? Didn't think so.

My mums business is her own, not mine.
So why bring it up?:confused:

I am very very 'bothered' about their welfare, seeing as i am currently hand rearing 4 kittens for them and i know that when they go back to the centre they are not going to receive the standard of care which they should be.
But that didn't seem to be your main concern.

What i suggest they do is stop building more centres, which they are currently building 2 more, and concentrate on the ones they already have.
Have you made this suggestion to them? Do you know the ins and outs of all the information so you can make such a suggestion from a place of knowledge?

I suggest they start appealing to vets and see if employing their own vet at centres would be cheaper then using others.
Perhaps they have done, but you are not aware of it? But, again, have you made this suggestion?

I suggest they stop giving staff uniform allowances and buy there own, that way they can claim tax from them.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Could you clarify?

I suggest they try making redundancies in head office, especially when senior employees are sitting on a chushy £30,000 a year wage.
If a senior employee is only making slightly above the average wage then that is not 'chushy'. Unless 'chushy' means quite low.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have all the emails they sent to my work email, outlining everything in their meetings. In my first post i stated that my main concern was the animals welfare, well thats what i read when wrote. I can bring what ever i want up in my own post. They asked for suggestions on how to save money, about 8 months ago, right before they started building the new buildings. They have not looked into employing their own vets, this was suggested in the how to save money. The stated they were going to look at other means first.

They give staff a yearly uniform allowance. The uniform is jeans ect. If the bulk bought specific uniform for staff they could claim tax back on it.

Its chushy compared to cat care assistants £12,000

·
Banned
353 Posts
I have all the emails they sent to my work email, outlining everything in their meetings.
So you don't know everything. You had (I do hope it's had, because I don't think it's quite on for you to have potentially confidential documents related to a previous employer).

In my first post i stated that my main concern was the animals welfare, well thats what i read when wrote.
I don't know what you're trying to say.

I can bring what ever i want up in my own post.
You can also run around bare-arsed screaming for attention if you want to - but you run the risk of looking and sounding like a petulant teenager.;)

They asked for suggestions on how to save money, about 8 months ago, right before they started building the new buildings.
People don't just pick up a brick and start building. The planning process alone can take years.

They have not looked into employing their own vets, this was suggested in the how to save money. The stated they were going to look at other means first.
So they're looking at other ways (that is what I presume you mean) so what's the problem?

They give staff a yearly uniform allowance. The uniform is jeans ect. If the bulk bought specific uniform for staff they could claim tax back on it.
It'd be a staffing expense - not something that tax could be claimed upon. Maybe VAT. The admin/organisation/staffing costs could easily wipe out any perceived savings.

Its chushy compared to cat care assistants £12,000
Again - I don't know what 'chushy' means. Is it slang? Or do you mean 'cushy'?

A cat care assistant is hardly a skilled job requiring special skills - so obviously it'll be lower paid as more people can do it. That's why, in the real world, surgeons are paid more than cleaners.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
There's no guarantee for any savings or investments for organisations.
But there is for private persons. And if the national and international monetary organisations refuse to give off a guarantee for private savings for a particular bank, it says it all, really. THEIR reasoning can only be: high risk, we do not want to burn our fingers on this one.

It takes 30 seconds with google to find this information, and 2 seconds to make the only possible deduction.

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
Writerc.......you seem to be some what stirred by this thread. I read the op as worried about the cuts and how it would affect the animals welfare....or are you bit bored tonight ?

·
Banned
353 Posts
But there is for private persons. And if the national and international monetary organisations refuse to give off a guarantee for private savings for a particular bank, it says it all, really. THEIR reasoning can only be: high risk, we do not want to burn our fingers on this one.

It takes 30 seconds with google to find this information, and 2 seconds to make the only possible deduction.
It really doesn't say it all.

You're absolutely right - it does take 30 seconds with Google. And if you had bothered to do that you'd know that the UK Government covered the Icesave losses for individuals up to the (then maximum) of £35,000.

So the guarantees were applicable, which renders your entire argument, null and void.:)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They are bored every night, every post they put seems to antagonize and inflame people. Obviously doesnt have a very fulfilling life or they wouldnt be on here trying their hardest to provoke people :rolleyes:

Ohh and i have emails, not had

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.