Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How can people say they are real animal lovers when they eat meat?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by My lil Babies, Apr 10, 2011.

1. ...............................

#1 My lil Babies, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

If I had to kill chickens myself.. i wouldn't eat them.. or any other form of meat that may pass my lips.

The fact I buy chicken breast skinned and boned and I am telling myself it something else.. goes a long way for me to eat it..

If I had to go out into the garden and choose a chuck.. I would have a garden full of chucks..

3. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Human beings have been given teeth which are designed for tearing up meat and masticating our food. If we were not intended to be meat eaters, we would not have the teeth to eat it.

Plus, eating meat gives us some essential minerals etc which cannot be easily obtained from vegetables unless we eat those vegetables in huge quantities daily. Many vegetarians eat a diet poor in all the essential nutrients people need and as a consequence can become anaemic due in particular, to a shortage of iron.

Whilst I love animals, I also accept that for my survival, I need to consume them. Just as any other carnivorous animal consumes animal flesh.

If someone chooses to go against what is innately human, that is there choice. However, I can love animals and not wish to bring about unnecessary suffering and still accept that eating animals is essential to remain healthy.

At the end of the day, the survival of our own species is paramount.

4. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I grew up on a farm and I loved all the animals. Take the chickens, I gave them names fed them every day, but I would still help pluck them and eat them. I'd help my dad with gutting and skinning rabbits from when I could walk so it just seems normal to me.

I never felt like that about fox hunting because that's for sport and that's different.

I don't think eating an animal is cruelty, so long as it is killed humanely. I know a lot of people don't share this opinion but that's up to them.

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

To be lazy, combine momentofmadness and Sacremists statements and you've got mine :thumbup:

Chuck in metaldogs aswell.

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Personally, I felt like a hypocrite eating meat, even though it was always free range etc. I've not been vegetarian for that long, but before I was getting to the point were I just couldn't bear to eat meat. Bit gross, but things like gristle and veins in meat just made it even worse. I would only eat mince and finely diced chicken. I don't like the thoughts of animals being killed for food, especially when I have other options. It makes me feel sick when I see people gorging on cheap meat with every mealtime. I remember growing up it wasn't so much a 'treat' but I think people consume a lot more meat these days...

7. momentofmadness

mmm How many horses do you know that are meat eaters .. I know of none.. they have so many teeth.. :rolleyes:

8. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I think she means our canine teeth :D

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

If the animals are raised ethically I see no problem with eating meat it's called nature. I would love to be able to raise my own meat so I could ensure it's welfare until that's possible I'll buy from the best sources I can. Animals eat each other and as much as we would like to pretend we're not humans are animals and are omnivores we are designed to eat meat.

I don't agree with battery/factory farming. The sight of pigs in those tiny pens disgusts me and I would never eat veal because of what they're doing to the calves now :( but I would eat ethically raised meat. I prefer eating hunted meat as it's the best way to ensure they live good lives. I actually don't understand when people say they don't like to think of it as chickens/cows etc. Surely it's much worse to be thinking this food just comes in packets rather than it was a living animal

#9 Nicky10, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I do find it slightly odd that people say they're real animal lovers but eat meat, but I've been vegetarian since I was three.

I think if you're going to do it you have to do it whole heartedly and not be hypocritical - for example, not eating meat but still using normal toothpaste or normal washing up liquid.

On the other hand, I was just talking via pm and we were talking about vegetarian food for cats and dogs. We both agree that's just hugely out of order to alter someone or something elses diet.

I still get meat for my cats and for Bumby, but I make sure it's the highest welfare standard I can find and such

Em
    xx

11. Sacremist

It's not how many teeth you have that is relevant but what type of teeth you have. A horses teeth are different to humans. They do not have teeth design in shape to tear up meat.

12. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Like someone else said when I see a chicken breast I dont really picture a chicken.

I dont get much say in what meat we buy as my mom does the grocery shopping. If I did the shopping Id buy the best meat I could but I could not give it up completely.

Roast dinner with carrots peas and mashed Potato with gravy mhmmmm :drool:

Im picky about my meat tho, I prefer beef then pork then chicken and not anywhere near a huge fan of fish

13. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

I don't eat meat!! :p:p :D haven't since i was about 16yrs old...but i have NO problem what so ever with people who do! and i cook it for Mum and family. :D

PS! i lied :eek: i do eat spam! :eek: :D

Oh! pleazzzzzzze dont tell me whats in it

14. momentofmadness

It was what you originally put that made me question..

And to be honest.. Horses could tear meat and chew it.. with the teeth they have. :)

15. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Possibly badger, from the look of it :lol: :yikes: It bounces and everything :lol: No food should bounce :blink: xxxxxxxx

16. Sacremist

I clearly worded it badly. But I still think a horse would struggle to tear up meat as easily as an animal whose teeth are designed for the job. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

17. momentofmadness

Having had to study the movement of jaw and how a horse takes food.. I know thdey can manage it.. But horses are not meat eaters.. :)

Stallions kill each other by ripping each others throats out.. :(

18. I have basically said the same things to her like most of you have said and she said she still doesn't understand and she has seen videos etc and that the animals are scared and do know that they are going to be killed when they are in the line up. I saw one of the video's she was on about and I admit the cow did look scared but I don't believe it was because it thought it was going to be killed. More so that it was scared of being put into a confined space apon entering the slaughter house. I told her I totally don't agree with battery farming etc and always choose free range but she said I still just don't understand how you can say that way is ok but still eat it. I guess I'll never be able to make her understand my way of thinking.

#18 My lil Babies, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  19. Sacremist

I'm sure anything with teeth can do a certain amount of damage at the end of the day.

However, you would be hard pushed to find a doctor, dietician or any such like, who would tell you a vegetarian diet is healthy for a human being.

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Is that the one where they tried to say the cow wet itself because it knew it was going to die? I doubt a cow would know that but I'm guessing it would have been stressed out. As long as the animals are looked after properly before they're killed I don't really see the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice