Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How can I tell which one is the dominant kitten? or is it too early yet?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kezzy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Hi all

Well just a random question out of curiosity, how can I tell which is the more dominant kitten?
    Alfie is 10 weeks and Scampy is 12 weeks. Alfie has been with us for 3 weeks and Scampy for 5 weeks. They have seperate food bowls but are happy to eat out of each others! No disagreements so far with food, both use the same litter trays, we have a few scattered around the house, Alfie will wait for Scampy to finish her business and then will cover it up for her as she's not very good at doing this.

They play fight and both take turns in starting the scraps! They both seem to know when to stop too. They both equally come for cuddles and there seems to be no jealousy!

Is it too early to tell who is more dominant or are they really the best of friends! :D

2. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

Dominant? We ahev 2 cats (2 years old) had them since they were 4-5 weeks old. I would not say either is more dominant. They definately have bvery different personalities. Both love being with eachother, all the time...literally! lol. One is more playful but both are super friendly.

If you really want to know to a harry hill, put them in a ring and yell FIGHT! which ever one wins is more dominant :D

3. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

haha!

I was only curious because I keep reading that there will be one more dominant but I just cant see it! As you say very different personalitys but they just seem to love each other so much!

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Everything you read on cat behaviour and personalities, I find anyway, are usually huge sweeping statements. Every cat is very much an individual and there are no rules.

Even if you did notice that maybe one appeared to be more dominant or rather one more dependant on the other, that would no doubt change depending on the situation and even in the same situation over time. They make up the rules as they go along :biggrin:

5. kelseye

kelseye Banned

lol should you realy be owning cats asking silly questions like that :eek:ut:

6. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

hmm im sorry you think it is a silly question! I think after all the reading i've been doing about kittens and cats that it was not and simply asking out of curiosity!

7. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Thank you Saikou, I totally agree with you.

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I do hope this is an attempt at a joke!

Many cat owners ask 'silly' yet 'useful to know the answer' question and none of us would consider this question silly. Are you such an expert that you know absolutely everything and have never ever needed to know any more?

9. kelseye

kelseye Banned

well in my eyes its silly to ask us as we dont see the cats we dont know the cats and there for would be impossible for anyone to tell you who is more dominant thats my point . so try tellin me im wrong naw

10. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Do you have a cat ? Ever had a cat ?

11. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

Unhelpful, no need for it, thanks for your thoughts!

As mentioned above it was simply curiosity. Every forum i go on there seem to be one or two people sparing for a fight!

12. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Im not asking you to tell me which is the more dominant, no one would ever know without meeting them. I was giving some background info on the kittens and asking for pointers on how i would be able to tell! Kelseye I would appreciate if you wouldn't post if you don't have anything positive to say.

13. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

in my house its the kittens that are the boss and the big cats just laze about and let them get on with it and also let the younger cats feed first as if they are mothering all the young cats he he

14. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Yeah, my bigger/elder one is laid back about it all. Except when it comes to food, she nicks a bit from the kitten's dish too!

15. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i have given up trying to feed them from individual bowls as the kittens just pile on any one and try a bit from here and there and the big cats just sit back so they have a special large tray for their food

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice