Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How can I teach my dog to stay within the backyard and not venture out into neighbours or the road?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by cooper12, Mar 28, 2019.

1. cooper12

cooper12 PetForums Newbie

deleted

#1 cooper12, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

For me the only way to be sure our dogs stay in the garden is to have good fencing. So my advice would be to use a long tether line when you can't supervise your Collie in the garden whilst you get round to gradually fixing all the fencing so your area is secure.

I've always found it a matter of luck whether a dog is a wanderer - I have had many dogs who will sit by open doors and never dream of exploring further and others who will spot the tiniest gap under my 6' fencing and be off ....which is what my home loving Cavvie (the smallest of the gang) did recently when she managed to wriggle through a gap in the earth. Luckily she only wandered next door and came round to the back gate when called. But when we went out into the garden later she headed straight to where the hole had been. Which just goes to show that only way to thwart a wanderer is to fix the fencing :D

J

Torin., Sairy, Kim Watcham and 7 others like this.
  3. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Easy fix: until the fencing is repaired and the bottom of the gate blocked off, don’t let him outside alone.

Torin., Kim Watcham, Sarah H and 4 others like this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

As others have said - make your fencing secure. Rolls of sheep/rabbit mesh are relatively cheap and will do the trick. When we moved to our present address 3 years ago the first task was to make the fencing secure and we have 5 acres. Whilst I was out gardening last year, and my 4 collies were running around the garden, I only lost concentration for a couple of minutes (having not properly secured the garden gate) and my two youngest had managed to get out and were across the lane.....!!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I suspect, also, that the key may be to stop him wandering now while he’s young - by rapid repair of the fencing, using a long tether in the meantime and/or supervising him closely when he’s in the yard - so that he doesn’t develop a taste for it. Once he’s decided that the great outdoors is really interesting you might find it more difficult to contain him.
    Training him to stay in an unsecured area would be an interesting challenge and would take a lot if time and effort. It’s possible that - using clicker training, for example - that it may be possible, but it does rather depend on your dogs ability to understand an arbitrary line in the sand (almost literally) and you may find it impossible.
    Not that you’ve suggested you would go to that extreme, but please do not use an electric collar or anything similar. Exploring is a very natural activity so any sort of punishment, yelling at him, etc, may just confuse him and may make him anxious.

Torin., kimthecat and JoanneF like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Fence a small area securely so you know he can’t get out and don’t leave him in the garden alone.

You could find him falling foul of Dog Law if he’s running loose, out of control and especially if he scares or hurts someone or bites another dog (if he isn’t friendly with other dogs that’s a distinct possibility).

If he causes a road accident then you will be liable and, of course, he could be badly injured or killed.

He could also be picked up by some low life too.

Torin., Babyshoes, kimthecat and 2 others like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

^^ this

Babyshoes and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A friend had 'taught' her collie Ruby to stay in her garden area, walled but with an open gateway on to a country road. Ruby was hit by a car and killed pretty well instantly.

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

My neighbour's boxer sits on their unfenced front lawn all day. We live in a cul de sac so very low traffic. He is amazing. The only time he ever leaves that lawn without permission is when i walk by with Tilly in season. If she's not in season, he won't move. He's really been great at confirming my suspicions of her season every time!

I couldn't let either of mine out unfenced. Though murphy would just head straight over to the boxer's! Their door is always open. He has done it before - just runs right into theirs!

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

It is definitely possible with some dogs to teach them to stay within certain boundaries. Emily Larlham has a good boundary training video on her kikopup youtube. Our own dogs have lived on our property without fences without issues.
    However.
    Now that your collie has discovered the joys of exploring, it's very unlikely that you will be able to teach him not to reliably, and as he is escaping on to a road with trucks, I would personally be terrified to risk it. Boundary training is fine when the margin for error is generous, when your margin for error is getting pancaked by a truck? Yeah, that's a nope.

Sure up your fencing and stay out there with him. You can call him back to you if you catch him looking to escape, reward him heavily. You not only want to stop him practicing the escaping behavior, but also distract him from it enough that he stop thinking about escaping and is more interested in what you are doing or might do.

If you can't be out there with him, don't let him out. Simple.
    This is essentially how all of ours learned where they can go, they never went out alone until I was sure they weren't going to roam. A 7 month old teenage dog is not to be trusted under the best of circumstances, one who has already proven he'll try and wander, not at all.

Torin., Sairy, StormyThai and 2 others like this.
  11. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I have a border collie who will jump fences. He came into kennels and got out of the kennel, and when he goes in to kennels if I go away for a few days he will still try to get out and jump the fences. He will get over 7 foot fences to say hi to another dog or come and find someone if he's left alone. However I have never had this issue at home in my garden and fields (although he has hopped over the dog gate once or twice if left alone in the front room). Our garden is not like fort knox whatsoever, we have a couple of 5-bar gates (easily jumped), and the garden and field boundaries are low walls and hedges leading into further countryside. Only once in the 4 months we have had him has he jumped onto a wall leading to the next field, and then he recalled straight away. I have put in lots of work showing him the boundaries and rewarding calling away from the them and heavily rewarding recall. I started off walking him round the fields edge on lead and rewarding coming away from them. We then progressed to off lead and playing away from the edges. He will go into the hedge on our side of the wall but won't go over, even if another dog does decide to chase a rabbit over!
    Unfortunately as you have found out, once he knows he can do it he will! So you need to supervise him when he's outside and recall and reward heavily. And get your fencing up asap to prevent any accidents with those trucks.

O2.0 likes this.
  12. cooper12

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies!

I’ve read through all your thoughts and will be taking each into consideration. I agree the best thing would be to fix the fence asap and keep him secured when Im not watching him. We’ve talked about chicken wire. At the end of the day, a dog will be a dog and if he badly wants to explore then he will.

I dont think I could use harsh methods such as electric collars. I’m a fair sook with animals, when I discipline I try to just be firm and exact to the moment he does the wrong thing. Like with housetraining, and he got the hang of that very quickly. He’s a smart boy and my good pal and though I know some people who have tried the electric shock collars, I really don’t think it would work all that well and I’d feel pretty mean. I really was just wondering if there were particular behavioural training tricks that might work.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. :)

13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Sorry but no - not if you put up fences and keep him on a lead or long line until your fences are in place. And as for a shock collar, yes it would be very cruel to punish him because you haven't secured where he can and cannot go - he won't know he is breaking your "rules".

14. cooper12

Well, I agree. That is quite literally why the fences are going to be fixed quite soon. He is a young dog and very curious, very active and exploring is his new thing right now as this is a new place and he's gaining confidence. And so he is kept on a long lead and supervised. A shock collar was never an option, it was mentioned in a post above so I thought I'd reiterate I was only asking if there were any training tricks that may help aside from fixing the fences.

15. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Glad it's not an option. But in fairness to my reference to it, it was you who mentioned it ...

16. cooper12

I've read my post over a few times but I don't see where I've mentioned it. I don't believe I asked for anything extreme, merely that perhaps there were some tips to teaching him to stay within the yard. I was thinking along the lines of commands and how to execute them. Sorry, I'm new to this.

17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

My apologies, you said you knew people who did but that you weren't considering one. Sorry.

18. cooper12

Oh! I knew there was a misunderstanding, I was concerned I'd worded something badly.
    No worries. Thank you for your input also. :)

19. Zota Laurentiu-Cristian

Zota Laurentiu-Cristian PetForums Newbie

Hei, I have a pitbull and at 7 months he changed very much .. very aggressive, and I and my wife can't control him ... for more research and research I found a course step-by-step what you can do to calm your dog...I see results about 1 month .. and was great I didn't expect that... the results were awesome. If you want to see the course give me a PM to help you with more information!

20. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Please can you share some of the key points from the course? You have recommended it now for two very different issues, it would be interesting to hear what it covers since it seems to have such wide ranging results.

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice