Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How can I stop new Burmese kittens favouriting a partner?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Podcat, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Podcat

Podcat PetForums Newbie

Hi there. Would love some advice from somebody

We recently got brother and sister Burmese, they're 4 months old and very affectionate. We're finding that they will generally always seek affection/follow and cuddle up with me over my partner and it's becoming a bit upsetting for her. My partner is pregnant and when we first got them she was feeling a little under the weather and wasnt able to feed or give them as much affection as she'd have liked, I also work from home most days so I am around when they are most chilled during the day so they see me much more. I'm tryign to avoid feeding them as much as I can but that doesnt seem to be helping much

Does anyone have any advice or know of a way of reversing this behavior? We dont really want it to be like this for the next 15 or so years!

Many thanks

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Cats will seek out their favourite person and there’s not a lot you can do about it. Your partner can try to win them by feeding them and playing with them as often as possible. But in the end the cats decide whom they like best.

Saffy Cat, lorilu and chillminx like this.
  3. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

They will also be picking up on the fact that she's pregnant. My cats are my babies, they'll always come to me for loves first, but through each of my pregnancies they avoided me like the plague

Podcat likes this.
  4. Podcat

Podcat PetForums Newbie

that's encouraging to hear, thanks

5. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

But they are happy choosing their favourite person, to try to reverse that will just upset and confuse them and maybe make them think that loving you is wrong. What happens if the baby ends up being a daddy's girl / boy, will that be wrong too? Be happy that the cats have somebody to love and let them turn to your partner in their own time if they choose to

Saffy Cat, lorilu and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice