Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how can i stop my kitten from going into neighbours garden who has dogs

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by browniecat, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browniecat

browniecat PetForums Newbie

I have a 7 month old kitten who likes to go out into our garden, she’s starting to explore outside of our garden too. I don’t mind her going into the gardens on the right side of ours but on the left side, my neighbours have a lot of dogs and i’m afraid they’ll attack my cat. In the past i had a cat who would often go near their garden and dogs would run out of the house into the garden and start barking at him, i would have to climb up the fence and get my cat to come down. To be completely honest those dogs look vicious and im just worried about my kitten going anywhere near that garden. Today we let her out and she nearly went towards their garden rather than the right hand side, how can i stop her from doing this? i know my previous cat eventually realised not to go into the garden with the dogs but i’m still worried.

thanks

2. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Unless you put up a physical barrier, you can't stop her.

I used to find my cats were pretty good at avoiding going into dogs' gardens, presumably partly because it smells of dog, but also because dogs will bark as they approach. But of course, you could be unlucky, and a 7 month old kitten has a lot less 'street smarts' than a fully grown cat. One of my cats was attacked by next door's dog last year - it got into our garden and attacked her as she was trying to get back in through the cat flap. You really don't want your kitten having an encounter with a dog, she may not survive it.

I'm sorry that sounds negative, but if she free-roams there is not much you can do other than rely on her to avoid that garden. Have you thought about cat-proofing your boundaries so your kitten stays safely in your garden? That's what I've done now. There is lots of advice on here if you want to do that.

Calvine, sandy-cat and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Cat proof your garden. Get an enclosure. There is a sticky at the top of the page.

Don't let her out.

Cats are in danger from a lot of other things too. Being picked up from the street and stolen, to be eaten (more common now there are people here who have no money or respect for animals) being shot, poisoned, people letting dogs loose on purpose to kill them, having bleach, acid etc. thrown on them, having fur ripped off, dog baiting, sold on or just tortured. People deliberately running them over these days too.

Rufus15, lorilu, Soozi and 2 others like this.
  4. browniecat

i guess i’ll just have to watch her for now. What’s the best way to cat proof my garden? i don’t know much about it

5. browniecat

i can’t really stop her from going out otherwise she starts crying. I don’t wanna keep her in all day otherwise she’ll get bored. It seems like you’re a bit too paranoid about letting your own cat out. All of the other cats in my area have been fine. i just wanna make sure she is too.

6. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

There are various ways - you can build a 'cat run' or you can cat proof your existing fencing.
    I got ideas from this thread

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

I used these people (but you can also do DIY inexpensive cat proofing)

https://protectapet.com/

I did it because of the dog incident (my cat was seriously injured) but also because I'd had two cats run over. So in my case not paranoia, just reality. Before that I'd had cats all my life and always let them roam - I wish I still could.

Treaclesmum, sandy-cat, Soozi and 2 others like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @maisiecat cat proof your garden that way your cat will not be able to enter your neighbours garden or any other one for that matter.
    Its not a case of being paranoid its more a safety issue.
    It used to be frowned on not to allow cats to free roam but many owners are realising that it is no longer safe to allow this or fair on others who don't share our love of cats.
    At 7 months your kitten is a bit too young to be going out unsupervised anyway as she is not yet physically or mentally strong enough to deal with the dangers

8. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Assume you are in the UK? Perhaps read about the UK Cat Killer and look at some of the groups on Facebook, there are many for lost and stolen pets. I have friends that run rescues and sanctuaries and some of the things that happen to cats are horrendous. One lady took a cat from someone to stop her from being eaten. One person has several of her cats die from being poisoned by brake fluid that had leaked from a workman's truck while they were doing work on her property. Only a couple of weeks ago there was a beautiful cat lying at the side of the road, after being hit by a vehicle.

You need to be aware of what can happen before you decide to let your cat roam. I had someone try to steal my cat. I have had an enclosure for several years. I have also had outdoor cats and I know the risks, as do you or you wouldn't be asking about the neighbours dogs.

And as I said, there is a Sticky at the top of the page for cat proofing gardens and enclosures if you would care to look at that. You can't miss it.

Rufus15 likes this.
  9. browniecat

ok it’s not letting me reply to anyone’s posts. I’ll try to get a cat fence fixed so my cat doesn’t leave the garden. The only reason i’m not as worried about my cat going out is because the area i live in has many cats who i’ve seen around for a long time, so it’s quite safe. Still i live near a busy car park so i’ll definitely look into the cat fence. Thanks for the help guys

sandy-cat likes this.
  10. browniecat

cats can go outside from 6 months old

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

They can go out at any age that doesn't mean they should be allowed to .
    At 6 months they are still kittens .

Polly G, Soozi, Kittynanna and 2 others like this.
  12. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I confess I used to let my cats out at 6 months and none of them came to any harm as kittens, I let them out a few weeks after they were neutered. Whether you let them roam or not (and the huge majority of UK owners do let their cats roam) depends on where you live and how safe it is, we all make that judgment from our own experience. As you've identified the potential risk from the neighbours dogs I think it would give you peace of mind @browniecat, so it's worth looking into cat-proof fencing.

Gallifreyangirl, TriTri, Orla and 2 others like this.
  13. browniecat

i’m back again, i’ve decided i think i’ll keep my cat inside as it’s stressing me out how much danger she’s in by going out. The thing is she’s always meowing at the door for me to let her out and i alwahs give in and open the door. If i stop letting her out do you think she’ll eventuslly stop crying at the door?

14. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

They do get used to it, but can't you get an enclosure? Or a harness and take her out in the garden.

15. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

This is the thread for cat proof gardens and enclosures, it might help. https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

Mine is made of aviary panels fixed together with bits of wire, I change the size of it according to where we live, how much space there is and how old the cat is. First lot of panels were bought brand new from a place that made aviaries, the next lot when we extended it were 2nd hand on Ebay. You can cover the top and any gaps with chicken wire which is available from garden centres.

I have little wooden house and a childs plastic table in mine, and at one time had a tree trunk and a bench, another time a chair, gives them something to sit on/under and I could sit with them.

Lurcherlad and browniecat like this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm glad you are keeping her inside. A run or cat enclosure can give her some safe outdoor time.

You need to provide your kitten with a proper inside environment. Play with her, make sure she has enough cat trees (and/or shelves on the wall) for climbing and jumping and being elevated, a box fort or two, and scratchers and activities to keep her active and interested. Kittens need a lot of interactive play time. This is supposed to be fun for everyone, what's the point of a kitten if you don't play with her? :)

Is she spayed?

17. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

You do need to do something to stop your cat getting into that garden. Such dogs can & do kill cats. The owners don't care. I've known a dog owner who simply gave a grimace & said yes, their dogs had killed more than one cat. You need, at the least, a tall fence on that side that a cat cannot climb. If you look online or here you will find advice & instructions. Or make a decent enclosure. Lots of videos online showing cats living happily in appropriately constructed & furnished enclosures - they are essential in countries where the wildlife would kill cats.

browniecat likes this.
  18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

What makes you think that dog owners don't care :confused:
    I used to have dogs who had free run in their own garden and would ,I'm sure , if they found a cat in the garden have chase it.
    I would have been deeply upset if they had harmed one (never did) but if a free roaming cat got into the garden and I missed it before letting the dogs out "in their garden" whose fault was that......... not mine.
    I'm thoroughly sick of dogs always being the "bad guys"

lullabydream and O2.0 like this.
  19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I think it's a little more complicated than that. My cats go out and we live in a country where the wildlife can kill them. Coyotes are rampant around here among other predators.
    I allow my cats outside because I know they're predator savvy and there are multiple safe hidey-holes and escape routes around the house where they hang out. An enclosure can act as a trap where cats are stuck and the predator could get in, or at the very least highly stress the cats. I much prefer for them to be able to escape and hide. Obviously a well-built enclosure could also include hiding spots, but not everyone will know how or what to include.

If my cats were not predator savvy I would not let them out. And as they age and are less able to fend for themselves, I restrict their outside time or revoke it altogether.

lullabydream likes this.
  20. browniecat

i’m thinking of getting a catio but my mum doesn’t seem to keen on it:Banghead
    i’m gonna speak to my dad because i think he’d be ok with getting one. Might get a harness too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice