Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how can i stop my dog running away??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by donna81, Aug 18, 2009.

1. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

About 6 months ago we rescued a dog from a local rehoming centre, she was taken there as a stray so we were given no information about her.
    We chose to call her Maddie, and to be honest we think we have been quite lucky with her, she gets on fantastic with our 7 year old son and is great with our 4 cats. She doesnt chew anything thats not hers and is generally a lovely dog who we consider ourselves very lucky to have :001_wub:
    We had a few problems with house training when we first got maddie but we managed to over come these after about 2 months :thumbup:
    But no matter how hard we try we cant stop her running away :nono:
    When she is in the house or garden she behaves brilliantly and listens when we say its time to come in, but if she gets the chance to get out of the front door, shes off! and all of a sudden she doesnt seem to remember her name or recognise us :eek:: as soon as we get anywhere near her she runs. To stop this happening i have put a stair gate on the hall door so she cant get near the front door but it would be nice to solve the problem, it would be lovely to be able to take her for a walk in the park and let her have a run rather than always being on the lead.
    Any ideas??

Attached Files:

2. kelseye

kelseye Banned

until your dog has been properly trained, do not let him run off leash even for a minute! Dogs aren't smart enough to look both ways before crossing the street. They have no idea that cars can kill them. Accidents happen in the briefest of moments and it only takes one mistake to lose your dog forever. If you love him, put his safety first and keep him on his lead!

i would say make it a game ..play hide and seek with him in the house or in a place where its safe then act like he's done the greatest thing in the whole world when hes found you ! Hug him, praise him, pet him, love him and reward him with treats.

hope this helps ..:)

3. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

thats the thing when shes in the house as soon as you shout her she comes running but the 3 times she has got out of the house she runs like shes never going to stop :( ive never tried letting her off the lead while we have been out as i would hate for her to run away i was just wondering if anyone might know why she is so good in the house but not when she is out?

4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I think you'll need to practice recall with her when you take her to the park for a walk, on lead.

Put her on an extendy lead and when the line is really long, call her back to you. If she comes back praise her with a treat.

Then do the same maybe when you're out the front of the house with her....have her on a lead and practice calling her back then...maybe she'll get the message that way.

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

by the way don't worry, you're not the only one who's dealt with a runaway dog. Dante, our Norwegian Elkhound WAS quite the escape artist. Thank god he's matured a bit now lol. He would run out the front door and nearly take himself for a walk and would ignore our call to him. Its Mika, my toy poodle i now have to worry about.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

-Get a longline or an extendy, and practice recall with her in loads and loads of different locations.

-Use a really high value reward (not dinner, or anthing she normally gets) somethin like liver or ham.

-Make a big deal out of her coming back to you so she wants to come back.

-NEVERtell her off or use an unhappy tone for not coming back, use the lead to give her a gentle tug in your direction and keep encouraging her.

-Moving backwards while asking her to come also works.

xx

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

8. rona

rona Guest

9. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Buster used to have a tendency to peg it out the front door, we overcaame it by putting a baby gate on the kitchen and put him behind it everytime we answered the door. We dont have that there anymore but we do have restricted access to the front door so he cant get there. Now he is used to being in the kitchen when he hears the door bell he puts himself there for us hehe. (We still dont let him go to the door even though his recall is 99% now)

Also, I would use a long line until you have recall perfected, so its harder for her to learn ignoring you is OK :) Big rewards and love when she comes back to you, even if it is a bit delayed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice