Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how can i stop her chewing

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lizd4688, Feb 17, 2008.

1. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

my black lab has gone on a chewing spree.
    for some reason she has started to chew everything she can see.
    she is 14 months old.
    its like she has gone back to being a puppy.
    have used anti chew spray but that didnt work.
    any ideas
    liz

2. garryd

garryd Guest

How much are you walking her ???? most dogs chew when they dont get walked enough , Get her some pigs ears to chew that might help;) that stoped my bull terriers from chewing !

3. lizd4688

she gets walked 2-3 times a day.
    she knows she is doing wrong . i think she is just showing her pup what to do in a garden....lol

4. lizd4688

plus she is in season so she is being naughty because i wont let her go and play with the male dog.

5. claire

claire Guest

my parents owned labradors untill recently and years ago they breed them too and every labrador they have ever had has chewed i think its just something they do! they got better as they got older but even when they were older they still chewed there baskets they never fully stopped it

6. lizd4688

my male dog was terrible as a puppy...lol
    but he is 2 1/2 now and has calmed down....mind you we did replace all the fencing in the garden...lol

7. RachaelKeisha

RachaelKeisha PetForums Newbie

when dogs chew its can be because they are feeling anxouis or stressed, chewing releases endorphins which help to calm and sooth a dog down, a dog will chew to help itself relax the same as a dog will eat grass, when its got a upset stomach, to make it sick.
    What I do with my dog is to fill a empty lamb shank bone (quite large) with a bit of meat in the middle then her dog meal biscuits followed by normal dog meat at each end to pack it all in. I completey blank my dog for about ten minutes before I leave (if you make a fuss about leaving your dog then your dog will think that they is something to be worried about) then just put down her bone and walk out without saying a thing.
    I find that because she wants the meat she will spend a good 20 minutes or so chewing on the bone (as long as the bone is well packed) that by the time she has relised I have gone she is already relaxed from chewing and settles down with no problems.

Pets at home do Lamb shank bones which are perfect for this little trick.

8. lizd4688

thanks for the replys i will give hem a go

9. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

it may help to put mustard/lemon juice on places that have been chewed:confused:

10. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

Hi,

Has she always chewed things, or is it a recent problem? Does she do this when you're there or generally when left alone?

I have a Lab and when he was a similar age he loved to try and chew everything he came across! However she doesn't know she's doing wrong, dogs don't really think like that. If she appears 'remorseful' she's picking up on your body language, rather than her knowing that chewing=unacceptable.

At the moment it could be more boredom/frustration if her exercise etc is restricted as she's in season. We used a large Kong for our Lab, he's 13 now and still loves this toy. You can put treats in there too so they'll spend ages trying to chew it (meant to be indestructable but not for all dogs!) and get the food out. Try doing some other mind games with her to take her attention away from getting up to mischief. If she's distressed (for instance when left alone), a DAP pheramone diffuser may help to reduce anxiety and reduce the need to chew. Hopefully its more an adolescent type behaviour however which in young Labradors it often is!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice