Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How can I sit in canter on a horse with a dipped back?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by MorganTheDraft, Jul 28, 2019.

1. MorganTheDraft

MorganTheDraft PetForums Newbie

my horse has a dipped back and is therefore very bouncy; i find it very hard to sit in canter with and without stirrups because of this. Any tips? Thanks

2. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Are you tensing and gripping up? I feel your pain - my boy has a back like a hammock and his canter feels like trying to sit on a pogo stick. I try to relax and go with him, wrapping my legs around him but not gripping with my knees. Do you have lessons? If not a good instructor would be able to help.

MorganTheDraft likes this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You're really going to struggle without stirrups.

I was going to suggest lengthening your stirrups a little.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would suggest having some lessons with a good instructor tbh.

Without seeing the dynamics between the two of you, his outline and way of going and your position/seat it would be difficult to suggest anything.

5. MorganTheDraft

MorganTheDraft PetForums Newbie

I do have lessons but I think the problem is that I grip with my knees so my lower legs don’t do much to hold me on, thank you for pointing that out :)

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe some lunge lessons would help?

I found them a great help to deepen the seat and lengthen the leg.

Having the horse controlled from the centre by an instructor enables the rider to truly relax into the saddle - having both hands free to steady themselves using the pommel at first, progressing to exercises with the arms/hands to create a truly independent seat.

Any tension (understandable if the rider doesn’t feel secure) will hinder the rider and horse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice