Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How big will she get?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

My puppy is a female labrador cross poodle/terrier. She is 8 weeks old and weighs 7 pounds. How much do you think she will weigh when she is fully grown? Thanks

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

What kind of poodle I'm guessing probably standard or mini if it's mixed with a lab. Could get up to 60-70 lbs from the lab but she's probably going to be smaller with the terrier in there.

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

The poodle terrier is stray so we do not know. I was more wondering if the weight of 7 pounds at 8 weeks is a helpful clue.... For example, how muchw ould a 70 pound adult dog weigh at 8 weeks? Thanks for your reply!

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Labradors are about that weight and are generally 11-17 lbs at 8 weeks. Thats just one example but I'd say she'd be smaller but females are always slightly smaller anyway.

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks. I am hoping she will be on the smaller side.
    I am posting a pisture of her too so u can meet her. Her name is Maya.

[​IMG]

2 months ago we lost our beloved boy Nelson and I will never ever get over him. He was the worlds best dog, my best friend and he is in my heart forever. The house just wasnt right without a dog though, so we got a puppy last weekend. I do not want to replace Nelson as this is impossible, neither do I want to forget him ever ever ever - I am just honouring his memory with a new girl as he taught us how amazing life is with a dog by your side, to play with, to watch tv with him by your side, the long walks, the car rides...everything, and of course above all to love and to be loved unconditionally...life is not complete with a dog.
    Here is a picture of my angel Nelson. I miss my baby so much:(
    [​IMG]

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

She's adorable. I'm sorry about Nelson he sounds like he was a great dog.

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks, Nelson was more than great - he was perfect:)

I will keep u updated on our new family member:)

8. rona

rona Guest

I find it so hard getting another dog when that special long term friend has gone, but I always do in the end.
    Your new baby looks amazing.
    As you get to know us on the forum, you will realize that I am not usually the type to compliment puppies, but yours is truly a stunner

9. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Hi
    I am sorry to hear about Nelson.
    I have a Labradoodle - Lab/poodle cross. She is about 32kg (not sure what that is in old money as the vet scales only do metric!) and is 27 inches to the shoulder at 18 months. Her dad was a standard poodle, mum a Labradoodle, so there are some differences and yours sounds like she will be smaller, just warning you as to how big they can be! She looks beautiful though. Love the colour. :)

10. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Maya is gorgeous, love her name too, i have a Maya! I think she will probably be as tall as lab, but lighter boned. Thats my guess :) Impossible to tell though.

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Its impossiable to tell My pup was around 3.4kg at 10ish Hes now a monster 30kg+ at nearly 8 months old. :)

You pup is gorgeous and nelson sounded like a great family member xx

12. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for your condolences for my Nelson.

I prefer kilos - i had to convert in order to do pounds.So she is just over 3kg now.

So I guess we just have to wait and see. Either way, she has her home and will be loved to pieces:)

I was wondering when would be ok to leave her alone at home for the first time (no mroe than 30 mins). I do not use a crate and she has the run of the house, but we have arrangement to close off the kitchen and small living room area when we are not here (which has been puppy proofed). Of course I will leave her with all her toys etc, and make sure she has been played with and fed and taken out do her business before we leave her...

Nelson was never left alone for more than 3-4 hrs at a time, but it's been so long since I had a puppy I can't remember how we started off!

13. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Maya is gorgeous. Nelson was a stunner too, did he have any schnauzer in him?
    :)

14. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

At 8 weeks my golden retriever weighed 13 lbs and at 11months is about 65lbs, he will probably reach about 75lbs when fully grown according to the vet.

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

16. frankie7

frankie7 PetForums Newbie

aww she is lovely! does she have big paws?

We did not use a crate for our dog when we had her as a puppy (she did not stop crying when she was in it and was quite out of it so gave up) just make sure there is noting at all she can eat, it is amaizing how hight they can reach when they want to be naughty!

17. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thank you for your useful comments and links.

But above all I have to say thank for complimenting my Nelson- he was my pride and my joy...and dare I say my life. Nobody who knew me didn't know Nelson, and I went nowhere without him - he was so well behaved he never needed a leash and came everywhere with me: restaurants, cafes, shops, and fo course all the doggy things like parks, beaches...he came with me when i visisted friends, when I dropped off mys sister ehre and there to keep me company in the car. It's really hard coming to terms with the fact that he isn't here anymore. I have only had Maya 3 days so Nelly (Nelson) is of course my true baby and I think the most beautiful dog ever - inside and out. Nelson was the result of a stray mating (big problem where we live) so we can only guess as to what breeds he had in him. I think he definitely had some schnauzer in him. He had poodle in him and terrier. I miss him so much - I still cry so much about the fact that he (to cut a long story short) was ill for a while until it got the point he couldnt breathe properly or walk when we decided to put him to sleep. I was with him for the whole of this and we have the kindest greatest vet and all I can say is Nelson did go with his dignity, which is the most important thing for me.

We went to 3 vets in Cyprus, and sent his results to vets in 2 other countries, but we were doing all we could already with out current vet (no new suggestions from abroad). Nelson was 8 years 10 months and 21 days when he left us. There will never ever be another Nelson for me. Oh, he really is stealing Maya's thunder in this post, but he deserves it and more. I will send a few more pictures of him

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *I miss you my little angel

18. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

im so sorry you lost your lovely Nelson he was Gorgeous:(

Maya is a Beautiful puppy i hope she brings you lots of happiness xx

19. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Hi
    I think if you get Maya into a routine of being left on her own for a while - for a few minutes at a time, she will soon get used to it and won't worry if she is left alone for longer. I'm sure it will all come back to you soon :) You sound like you did a marvelous job with Nelson and I'm sure you will do the same with Maya. Good luck. :)

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi your puppy is lovely :)
    Sorry for the tragic loss of nelson he sounds fantastic!

I would say its impossible to tell... My pup is a colle x staff/lab.
    He is already taller than his dad the collie, and is about the height of his mum at only 6months old he is heavier than his mum she was 26kg he is 28.6 he still has massive feet!

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice