Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How are your dogs coping with the heat ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jun 30, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Mine are not doing too badly,but are spending most of the day lying somewhere cool,Meg's favourite spot is in front of the fan.Even when lying down in a cool spot they are panting quite alot.

They are having plenty of water with ice cubes,and it's changed every few hours to make sure it's cold.

So how are your's doing ?

2. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

despite mine having loads of coat they cope really well, my veteran bitch sunbathes lol

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Maya-not the best, kinda hard to walk her as she has started laying down part way and refusing to move and she's not a dog I can force to get up either, I end up falling over :001_tt2:

Barney-dosen't bother him much at all, he gets worn out quicker but that's about it

Bear-Heat? what heat? this nutter still runs about like a loony :rolleyes:

4. Mine have been coping real well! The eldest one's likes to do a spot of sun bathing!!! Darn't give the ice myself as had read of associations with bloat (do not know whether this has been studied and the reliability of the source so going see what I can find out) but know many who do give it!
    lol
    DT

ps - how are you getting on with the food sallyanne??

5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

My 2 are coping ok,Kai is the one thats not too keen on the hot weather but he usualy goes into the front room or lays under the fan in the kitchen.Mia doesn't mind sun bathing, but the only down side to that is, it brings out the brown in her coat.:D:D

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Alfie is coping fine. I just have to stop him from sunbathing to prevent burning. He's a sun worshipper.

Oscar is feeling it a little more, but has a fan on him constantly.

7. rona

rona Guest

Mine are ok as long as they stay still, any movement starts the panting.
    Have persuaded OH to leave his at home with me today, he's usually in a kennel under an oak tree during the day but has to get into an horrendously hot car to come home

8. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

What heat??? I live in the north of england and am waiting for the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

Max is loving it :p:p Molly is hating it, and not wanting to feed the pups as much :( even the pups are getting hot & bothered x x x

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Mine are fine, like dt i don't give mine ice either:D

11. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

My two HATE it! they don't move all day and sound as if they are having an ashma attack if they do :(

However, as soon as it cools down in the evening they are rolling around and running like loonies!!!

12. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Mine ain't doing too badly, keep trying to go and lay outside then I send hubby out to fetch them in :D

Mine love the sun but it's just too hot.

13. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I've also heard that you shouldnt give ice cubes because of bloat but to be honest in this weather they dont last long enough, it melts within minutes!

Cola is quite annoying in the heat as it doesnt bother her at all! lol I took her out yesterday afternoon at 3pm just for 20 minutes because it was so hot but she didnt want to come home! Another walk at 9pm and this morning I took her for 90 minutes cos its just too hot for our usual afternoon run (well for me anyway!) so will be her only run today (maybe!) her energy is tiring!

14. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Mine are fine, luckily my house is stone built and has slate tiles over the ground floor so it's lovely and cool inside, they lay out on their duvet for a bit..potter inside panting, cool down on the tiles and then go back outside!!

I put a paddling pool up but Cooper killed it (staffy jaw's of death strike again!!:D) so they now have bowls of water and a sun shade!!!:rolleyes:

Me I'm sat in a boil hot office earning the money to pay for my dogs to have sun shades and paddling pools!!!:001_tt2:

15. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

lol made me laugh .... I was thinking of getting a paddling pool for Cola but I know she would sink her razor teeth into it in no time :(

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive tried a paddling pool with mine. Alfie hates water, so that was an instant no. Oscar got in, peed, got out, then refused to go near it again, even when i cleaned it out. Its strnage, as he loves to lie down in the streams.

17. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

lol Yeah Cola loves to lie in the streams where we walk so I thought she might like a pool however I can see her just going in for a pee and out again!

This morning she came out of the river with a HUGE dead fish in her mouth which she then started rolling over it - the smell was intoxicating on the way home! eww lol

Needless to say she had a full bath when we got home in the garden!

Sorry went off topic there!

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

sounds like something mine would do.

I often wonder if its the freshness of the water thats the issue. I have a huge bucket outside for my dogs to drink from, yet Alfie will still make the effort to drink from the Belfast sink i have as a small pond. He climbs over things just to get to it, even though the bucket is right next to him. Maybe tap water smells too chemically for them.

19. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

simba stuggling.... finally started to eat... but was sick this morning....
    yesterday we went for a walk in the forest which was nice and cool... played with a few dogs the just lay there... we called... but he didnt move... didnt want to get in the car.... just wanted to lay in the grass... proper goofball

20. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I've often wondered this too, I get concerned at times because Cola doesnt drink much at all during the day unless we are out and she will drink filthy puddles or from the river which I dont mind but rarely drinks at home. I change her water all through the day so maybe I should just leave it? the dirtier the better! she never drinks a full bowl though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice