Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Housetraining your pup or older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by CarolineH, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I'm a bit puzzled by her need to drink lots of water because she doesn't pant, is this a medical issue and vet advice, I've not heard of this condition before?
    Weeing in the bed without her realising it and a desparate need to drink I would have thought meant a UTI, so a visit to the vet with a wee sample might be a good idea just to check her waterworks are ok.
    She is too young to reliably indicate her need to go outside to toilet, many adult dogs dont 'tell' their owners this, so expecting a puppy to do this is a bit much I think. Best practice would be to take her out at regular intervals rather then only when she rings the bell or whatever. Young puppies don't have much time Inbetween realising they need to go and actually going, so it would be better all round if you take her out to toilet rather then wait for her to indicate a need.

kimthecat likes this.
  2. SarahandBuffy

SarahandBuffy PetForums Newbie

That has all been checked out and ruled out. I was told some dogs just do not pant and her way of coping with it is to drink lots. She's done it since we've had her.

I do take her out every hour anyway but she'll ring a bell when she wants to go out in between those times. 9 times out of 10 it's all good. Like I said she's almost there.

The main problem is the night time. As she just always needs to drink obviously she always needs to pee and again most nights it's fine, she'll have a drink at 9 ish and settle down for the night and we'll wake her ever hour before we go to bed and there's normally no accidents

But then you get a night like last night where she wouldn't settle and desperately searched for water. So much so she drank from the pond and other places.

The thing is she's never shown any sign of not knowing she's going to pee until last night where she was asleep on her back (and on me) and peed all over us waking both of us up.

3. pa_wallace

pa_wallace PetForums Newbie

I am looking after a 14-month female whippet for an extended period of time and having some problems with her peeing in the house. I wonder if anyone can help.

She is trained to go for a pee in the garden and knows she will get a treat if she does. However, she also seems to think we approve of her peeing in the house. She will stare at us and squat and pee on rug and then run up to us wagging her tail (obviously we do not give her a fuss or reward her after she has gone).

She pees quite a lot during the day but is able to hold it in during the night, so I don't think it is a bladder control issue. It seems to be that she thinks we like her peeing inside and out. Any advice would be gratefully received.

To be clear, she was trained before we received her by someone else so I am not sure how she was trained. She has been with us for a month and is very relaxed and happy.

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

It does rather sound as if she hasn’t been totally toilet trained as she doesn’t appear to have got the concept of only peeing when outside. The fact that she looks for a treat proves the point as she thinks she will get a treat just for peeing not for peeing in the right place.
    I don’t know how long you will be looking after her, but I suggest you go right back to basics and take her outside at regular intervals, don’t wait for her to ask or stand at a door, but maybe take her out hourly to start with. Perhaps keep her on the lead initially and take her to a suitable spot and wait for her to go. If after a while she doesn’t go, take her in and try again shortly afterwards. When she is in the state of peeing, say a cue word several times like ‘busy, busy’ or ‘go wees’ or whatever suits you to say. When she has finished reward her with fuss and a treat, don’t call her to you, but go to her so she knows why she is being treated. Eventually she will realise that she is being rewarded for peeing outside and getting her to know the cue word for doing a pee then you can take her out and tell her to pee whenever necessary. Peeing on command takes time so don’t expect results straight away.

5. pa_wallace

pa_wallace PetForums Newbie

Thank you, that is very helpful concrete advice. We will give it ago and see how it goes.

Siskin likes this.
  6. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

Alena has dumped this exact link on another post with no explanation.

I would advise everyone NOT to click on this link until Alena provides a bit more detail. It looks suspicious to me.

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Spam removed.

kimthecat likes this.
  8. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

“Just found out there is an online course for train dogs. Belonged to people who are they need to train dogs and teach good behaviors. You mihgt find your answer from here. Send me msg I will give you link if you want.”

Looks like potential spam to me.

kimthecat likes this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

New members can't post links until they've made 25+ posts. But I agree.

kimthecat likes this.
  10. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

Oh, I see. That explains what happened to me! Very wise, anyway.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  11. bestdogtrainingebooks.com

bestdogtrainingebooks.com PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your Advice and wish you all Happy New Year :)

12. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

Interesting name! o_O

13. tommy0144

tommy0144 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

We are having trouble house training our dog. She is a bichon x Yorkie and we adopted her at the end of November last year when she was 7 months old. We have since found out we are her 4th owners already!!!
    We are struggling because she will go to the back door and we will let her out (this can be 5 or 6 times) and then she will come back in and do it in the house.
    Any help will be massively appreciated as we don’t know what to do for the best!!

14. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF,:)
    Whats your dogs a name ?
    Will your dog toilet when she's on a walk?
    Do you go outside in the garden with her ?

15. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

deleted

16. tommy0144

tommy0144 PetForums Newbie

Thank you, her name is Nancy.
    Yes she will toilet when we’re out walking. No we don’t go outside with her most of the time.

kimthecat likes this.
  17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want her to not be in a position where she needs to toilet before you have her outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible, there will be accidents! So set her up to succeed by taking her out even more than she needs; for example every hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. When she toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward her with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make her come to you for the treat so she is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. That means you dont just let her out, you take her and wait with her. The idea is that she wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until she is outside. If she has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed she may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if she needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at them toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken her outside in time. Not when she is there though in case you scare her. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract her back to the spot. As she is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words she can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when she is reliably trained you can use these to tell her when you want her to toilet.

Indoors if you see her circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get her out fast.

kimthecat likes this.
  18. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Thats good Nancy will toilet outside.
    She may have got into the habit of toileting indoors rather than the garden and thinks its the right place to go .
    Sometimes things like the bad weather will put dogs off and they go outside and then rush back in without going or they get distracted.
    If you go outside or watch from the back door at least you will know if she's been to the toilet.
    What you can do is teach her to Do a wee .
    This worked very well with my chi.
    When out on walks , when she is actually in the process of weeing , full stream , say do a wee , good girl . When she has finished you can give her a treat.
    Repeat this a lot until you are sure she has made the connection between your instruction Do a wee and her weeing.

You can then ask her to do a wee in your garden and hopefully she will go.

JoanneF likes this.
  19. Dasha

Dasha PetForums Newbie

very good lesson

20. Anthony12

Anthony12 PetForums Newbie

Can anyone give advice on how to teach a dog not to move far from home. I often let go of my jack russell for a walk, but I just can’t train him not to go far from home. Once I even had to look for him. My friends advised me a wireless fance, but I'm not sure if it works. Has anyone tried using such a device?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice