Housetraining your pup or older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by CarolineH, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Flo's Dad

Flo's Dad PetForums Newbie

The crate in the kitchen, they usually go to bed about 9.30pm. Up at 6am. Back in if we need to go out, we can't trust them in a room on their own.

2. Flo's Dad

Butter wouldn't melt. Nightmare. 1517396432416843097072.jpg

Cookie’s Mum likes this.
  3. Cookie’s Mum

Cookie’s Mum PetForums Newbie

Thank you for responding. The crate we have Is a similar size to yours so I don’t think it’s too big for her now but it may have been when we first brought her home though. My older dog won’t be using it as he gets too hot when cookie curls up with him. I will certainly try putting the blankets on the top as it does make it look more appealing. Have your dogs always been happy to be shut in the crate? Cookie really didn’t like it even though she had slept in a crate with her litter and mother overnight. I even put a soft toy in with her.

I do limit the area she uses during the day and we have a pet gate on the stairs but she still occasionally manages to toilet behind my back so to speak. She is a lovely affectionate dog but this issue is spoiling our enjoyment of her. That and the chewing ( she got to my post this morning while I was upstairs) but thats another story.

We can only keep trying.

4. Flo's Dad

The one has always been happy on the crate and you can often find her in there during the day, the other we always have to pick up and put in, but she quickly settles down. The blanket stops them seeing what's going on.

The best advise I had was not to humanise your dog. They do not think and they do not reason, but after course, we do. You can't treat them the same.

What we and our dogs do, is routine.

Here in lies your problem.

It is not important to your dog whether she toilets inside or outside, it's important to you but not her and she'll never understand that.
    But she will understand routine. That's the root behind constantly taking them outside, it creates routine. In time she will wee more outside than inside because of the routine. She will slowly prefer to wee outside because that's the routine, just as ours get anxious at exactly the same time when we take them out, that's routine.

Keep at it, and create routine.

5. Cookie’s Mum

Cookie’s Mum PetForums Newbie

Yes good point. I need to think more ‘dog’. We were lulled into a false sense of security by our older dog who was easy to house train. I have noticed that she’s worse at weekends when everyone is home all day so I will have to make sure the routine is kept up.

6. Natalie Smith

Natalie Smith PetForums Newbie

Help needed.

What's the best way to teach our puppy to ask to go toilet outside?

Our puppy doesn't have many accidents as we take her out alot and she likes to go outside but she doesn't ever ask to go.