Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Housetraining your pup or older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by CarolineH, Dec 7, 2009.

1. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

I'm having issues toilet training star. I take her out regularly to wee and shes ok apart from the odd accident indoors but I can't work out her poo schedule at all. I take her out straight away after eating but I can stand out there for 30 mins and nothing. Then an hour later she will poo in the house. She poos between 4 and 6 times a day and there's no routine at all it's totally random. Also her tell tale sign is that she sprints about when she needs a poo but then sometimes she's just playing, so when I take her out she'll just sit there.

2. benfalkner11

benfalkner11 "Life will be more happy"

thanks very helpful. new owner here

3. Flo's Dad

Flo's Dad PetForums Newbie

Hello all.
    We have two JRT's, two sisters 20 weeks old. They are the most delightful dogs you could wish for, so full of life and love, energy and.............pee.

Despite the fact they have open access to huge garden they prefer to poo and pee indoors. We can play outside for an hour or more, but the moment they go back indoors they'll pee. There fast at it too, too fast for us to catch them!

The pee'ing is completely random, never in the same place. They have been known to pee the moment they've stepped over the threshold, most frustrating.

They are crated overnight and they are both happy with that. I still get them up at midnight for a pee and that was working great, until the last week or so. Now they are not interested, I put them on the lawn and they both just amble back to their crate whilst giving me that 'really' look!!

They are now dry overnight, before they would pee their own bed but not now. We take them out first thing in the morning, and at bedtime which is 9.30pm and usually get a result. But in the day when there's a lot of traffic and there in and out constantly is where the main problem is.

Martini girls, anytime, any place, anywhere!

There great round the park, fine off lead, come when called, great with other dogs, even pee here and there, but not poo, they like to save that till they get home.

The worst occurrence was the other day. My wife had been with them outside all morning, she came in for some lunch, the dogs followed her and settled on the sofa with her. The one got straight back up again and pee'd over the arm of the sofa, and then settled back down again. They had only just come in!! Very frustrating.

They don't seem to follow the rule book. They have fouled they own bed and quite often. They do not have a favourite place, they never got the puppy pad idea.

A friend has a 4 year old JRT and she is still pretty bad, but he puts up with it, we would rather not.

Anybody got any idea's?

Many thanks

4. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

spamvicious said,

... She poos between 4 and 6 times a day, and there's no routine at all, it's totally random.
    Also her tell tale sign is that she sprints about when she needs a poo -- but then sometimes, she's just playing, so when I take her out, she'll just sit there.

HOW old is she?!!? ... 4 to 6 times in every 24-hours is
    not normal. // Has she seen a vet?
    Is the stool formed, loose, soft, or firm? // Is she gaining & growing? // When was she last weighed?

5. MelodyM

MelodyM PetForums Junior

Hello! My pup is nine weeks old (so I know it's very early days!). But I'm just wondering if I am going about toilet training the right way. I take her outside very frequently through the day and praise and reward her for weeing or pooing outside. Although poos have been mainly outside (yay!) she seems to wee indiscriminately anywhere. In particular going through spells when she seems to make constant little puddles all over the place. Is that normal? I just quietly clean it up.

Funny thing is she is brilliant at night, loves her crate and hasn't had an accident in there since day one. I usually take her out once during the night but last night I accidentally slept through for six hours and she was still dry.

6. Flo's Dad

This is much the same as our experience. The little puddles are most likely marking, there's something there that either she doesn't like or is not sure about. She will grow out of it once she realises there's nothing there or there is no threat.
    You're doing the right thing, especially the cleaning up quietly. Just be patient, keep doing what you are doing and all will come with time. We were told our JRT's could take up to 12 months as they're known to be stubborn, but the one is doing ok, as for the other, oh dear.........MORE TRAINING REQUIRED!!!!

#406 Flo's Dad, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    MelodyM likes this.
  7. MelodyM

MelodyM PetForums Junior

Thanks - I hadn't thought about the marking thing. She only seems to do it at certain times of the day - so I don't know what's going on in her little furry head :/

I think I could be going about things wrong in one respect - as the weather has been fine I have been keeping the back door open a lot of the time and she goes in and out into the garden (under supervision of course). However I think this may not be helping her learn the difference between indoors and out in terms of toileting? - she doesn't seem to discriminate between indoors and out, and when I praise and reward her for weeing outside I don't think she makes the connection why I'm doing that (i.e. rewarding her for where she's doing it rather than just for doing it at all!).

Would it be better to stay inside at the moment and take her out regularly rather than going in and out all the time?

Any help appreciated.... thanks!

8. Flo's Dad

Unfortunately we're both here for the same reason, and we can't work it out either! We have also left our back door open in the good weather and with exactly the same result that you have. We've given up with the rewarding because, as you have found, there's no connection. We have saved the rewards for recall when we are out, we like to let them run and they know that if we call then there's food involved, and they always come back, but as for toileting it doesn't seem to work, they have not, or can't, make the connection.

We have two, they are sisters and twins but are completely different characters, the one is quick to learn, the other isn't. You would think that as the one hooked her head around the stairgate to open it the other would follow, but she didn't, and still doesn't.

Our two were born, spent the first 8 weeks of their life and toileted on hard surface, as it was, laminate. They still, were ever possible, toilet on a hard surface, i can only assume it's familiarity that's driving this, so it's a behavioral thing. They will if the door is open, come back in to toilet, unless we're outside as well then they'll go outside.

All i can say is that i'm working on it, and if find something i'll post. But they are both the most joyful and loving creatures we've had the pleasure to keep, i'm sure there's a solution, we've just not found it yet.

But to answer your question, we have also done the 'taking out regularly to toilet' only to find they go as soon as they go back indoors. There's clearly an issue but i've yet to understand what it is, but we're working on it.

9. springerpoo

springerpoo PetForums Newbie

We have recently acquired a puppy who is now 19 weeks old and we have various issues with him, and whilst doing some research I came across this forum, and this thread.
    Although, as I mentioned, he has a number of issues which we need to address, 2 may be related and are relevant to this thread.

During the day he will go outside for the toilet, and in the couple of weeks we have had him he has never soiled in the house during the day - we have the patio doors in the kitchen open a lot of the time and the rest of the time we notice him pacing if he needs the loo.

During the night he is left in the utility room and sleeps in a cage - the cage door is left open so it is probably seen as more of a bed than an enclosure (he is not fully cage trained, but more of that later - subject to another thread I think), and this is when we have the problem.

When we let him out in the morning, there is always a puddle on the floor. In the beginning we would normally find a poo too, but in the last week or so the poo has stopped and he goes outside within about 10 minutes of being released from the utility room for it, normally after having devoured his breakfast.

So the nightly puddle is the first issue.

The second issue is that every morning, after having been quiet all night, he will start to bark and yelp at the same time each morning - around 6.30 - 6.45am.

Now I these two issues may be related because there were 2 mornings when he did not start to bark and when I came down at 7.30 - 8.00 there was no puddle.
    So could it be that he barks because he has made a mess on the utility room floor??

Without installing a camera there is no way to tell, but what do others think, and if this is the case - what can/should we do.

10. kidd.92

kidd.92 PetForums Newbie

Hello All,

I'm afraid to say - I'm one of those people who has used the forum for quite some time now for various 'tips and tricks' but never actually posted! With that said, our housetraining problem has now come to a point where we don't know which way to turn so I'm hoping some of you may be able to offer tailored advice on our situation. So here goes..

We own a delightful Rottweiler/Staffy cross (Rescue) who is 15months who is full of life and love to give. Having both owned rescue dogs of various breeds in the past, we are no strangers to the problems likely encountered by rescuing. However, we have really been struggling with housetraining since taking ownership 6months ago. We were told by the rescue centre that she was housetrained (amongst many other things) but soon realised that wasn't the case.

With that said, here's to the point of what we've encountered and tried so far - roughly 5 nights out of 7, she will either poo, wee or do both overnight (she is confined to the kitchen), I take her out for a 2.5 mile off-lead walk every morning and eveing at approx. 6am/6pm where she will happily do her own thing and relieve herself when needed. Id leave in the morning around 8am but even when my partner was returning home around 3pm, she was finding mess in the kitchen. From what we can understand, there isn't any schedule to her needing to go - it can even be when we are there but be it, in another room. She doesn't tell us she needs to go, nor hide where she does it so we cannot simply understand why this is happening!?

We have tried all the usual - Not telling her off, putting her in another room, cleaning it with enzyme spray, tried puppy pads, taking her out every half hour before bed, providing chew toys/thing to occupy her, putting her in a crate (she hates this and we thought may have some relation to her previous life as it ultimately resulted in her continuously messing in her own bed), taken her to the vets (no problems found), changed her food, changed when she's fed. etc.. No result. Recently, I've employed the help of a dog walker to see if that helps short term but even when she arrive around 11am, there is often mess to be cleaned.

Its worth noting at this point that she's happy to go in the garden and we give her plenty of opportunity to do so. As mentioned, we are 6 months into ownership now and unfortunately, there has been zero progress so both my partner and I are at a loss. is there something we are missing? Having spoken to our local 'professional' - the only advice was to put her in an outdoor kennel with run so "at least the mess isn't in the house" but for obvious reasons, we want to see this through.

We would greatly appreciate some advice on this so hoping some of your may be able to help!

11. Marino Tilatti

Marino Tilatti PetForums Newbie

If you stick closely to the following routine, you should be able to housetrain an adult dog within a week, or less.
    • Take time off to housetrain your dog properly.
    • Start using a crate the day you bring your pup home.
    • Give your dog at least six bathroom breaks daily.
    • Shower him with praise when he does a good job.

12. Felths

Felths PetForums Newbie

I'm struggling at mo it's still early days I know but we r not scolding just placing pup straight outside when he has an accident (usually wee) every time he wanders to kitchen or door we take him outside he is getting there the occasional poop in the house but starting to tell us when he needs to go which he gets loads if praise for and is fantastic.

At night is where the problems are.... he is now going in his crate well and without fuss I always say it's bed time so he gets used to it the first night he cried (we ignored) and he has got loads better the problem now comes in the early hours 2-3 he starts crying we have been going down to let him out as it starts similar to the whine he makes when he needs to go when we get down there he has usually had one or two poops which I ignore take him straight outside and ask him to wee then I clear up mess and tell him it's bed time put him back in the crate and the world ends!!! Crying and yelping night before last hubby went down to him last night we ignored and he did quieten eventually

Should I be going down when he first starts knowing he gas pooped or leave him is he being noisy as knows we will go down at that time??? We are absolutely exhausted up and down during the day training him is not a problem but during the night is killing us what with family life and stuff (at mo I am off work till schools go back and it's hard when I go back!!!) (yes he will be checked and let out fed during the day lol) hubby is even on about calling it a day but we owe it to him to work this through I know it won't be forever

Any ideas and recommendations on the night time routine please and also trying to prevent any crying when he us left for a little while in crate during the day please

13. pewe

pewe PetForums Newbie

We had almost the exact same scenario which started on day one when we got our pup, and no one could come up with an answer that worked - and due to my wife's health at the time we could not get up regularly in the night to let him out.

From day one he was left in the utility room at night and we would get up in the morning to find one puddle and one pile (sometimes there might even be 2 of each) on the floor.
    So we went out and bought some cheap vinyl flooring to cover the slates in the room and left him to it.
    We go down first thing and would say good morning to him, let him out of his room and play with him then let him outside and clean the mess up.
    At all other times if we saw him do his business outside we would praise him.

The morning presents continued until he was four months old then suddenly they stopped and he would even wait until after his morning greeting before he went out for his first motion of the day.

I am told by a dog behaviouralist that in his case the mess was purely because he could not hold it as he was very young and his bowl/bladder was still developing, but as he developed, and because he knew the toilet was outside and not in his room, he taught himself to wait.

At times we wondered if he would ever stop or if he would begin to think it was normal to mess the utility room at night, but we are glad we just tolerated the frustration as it worked out in the end.

NB:
    Now before anyone criticises me for giving inappropriate advise let me say that I am not giving advise, I am simply relaying our experience with a similar issue to the OP's which worked for us.

14. PupPupDog54

PupPupDog54 PetForums Newbie

Have you thought of taking her to a puppy trainer? They may be able to help.

15. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I adopt ex puppy farm dogs 5years old to 8years old and they have never been trained just did it in the confines of there cages, my latest is Cassie who I have had for a week and she is almost trained ( couple of accidents) she is taken out every 2 hours with me armed with pieces of sausage she gets a reward every time she goes, I think I have spent more time sitting in my garden this week than doing anything else, and also you need a name when they go so that they learn to connect that word with going, don't ask me why but I say " poodle poodle" my neighbours must think I have finally lost the plot standing there clapping and saying poodle poodle. x

16. Katytosh

Katytosh PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have a 17 week old pup who is doing really well with house training (only the odd accident in the house). But my mum looks after him sometimes at her house and he seems to pee in the same spot near the door, regardless if hes been outside or not. We take him out every hour at her house but he still runs in and pees/ poops. We haven't ever told him off for this so I'm not sure what I can do to stop it? My mum also mentioned it's when she walks out of the room he goes and does it or whilst she's in the other room? Please can anyone help?

17. bonnie1

bonnie1 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and glad I found it! I have an 11 week old lab/shepard puppy named Lucy that has rock eating issues and it's hard to potty train her. If I could just open the door and let her out to potty, I would, however I have to take her out on a leash every time so she doesn't eat rocks. She also has to pee and poo a couple times in the middle of the night. Is that normal? She (and her siblings) were fostered for 1.5 months before I adopted her. Her foster mother told me that she had a "designated" spot in her yard that she let the dogs dig, and she would give them "sticks" to chew on! Lucy will also pick up wood chips along with the rocks and chew it till I can get it out of her mouth. She already has a broken fang on her lower jaw. I think she learned bad habits while living with her foster mother and it's hard to break her of it. The day I picked her up, (she was 9 weeks old then), she had been spayed that same day by the Humane Society. I really need suggestions on what to do with this rock chewing/wood eating issue! Thanks in advance!

18. Cookie’s Mum

Cookie’s Mum PetForums Newbie

I’m afraid I am also having issues with my 8month old mixed breed. I’ve read and implemented advice I’ve read on forums. She is fed at regular times ( 7am and 6pm), she is taken outside throughout the day and praised and rewarded when she toilets outside. She’s walked everyday ( she goes to the toilet when walked) and I also make sure I take her out about 10pm but I’m still cleaning up wee and poo. I clean up with non ammonia cleaner and have even tried vinegar and baking powder.

The problem at the moment is mainly at night. I attempted to use a cage next to my bed when we first brought her home but she got so distressed she weed and pooed in there! I left it open during the day with toys and her bed but she went in there to toilet so I packed it away. I’ve read on so many forums that dogs do not toilet in their beds but she regularly does (even if the bed is new).

She is capable of going through the night and has done so for about 10 days in a row but she will revert back to overnight toileting. She not alone at night as I have another dog so I don’t think it’s anxiety.

I dread getting up in the morning and my house stinks. I no longer feel I can invite people in because I’m embarrassed.

I intend to try the crate again tonight but if that doesn’t work I don’t know what I will do. Will she ever stop? I’m beginning to lose hope.

I would be grateful for any other suggestions.

19. Flo's Dad

If your dog is soiling her crate then her crate is too large. It needs to be big enough to walk into and turn round, no more. Think more den, less bedroom. We cover ours with a blanket as well. Ours soiled their crate as well, we bought one half the size and the two of them could barely get in and turn round, but they still use it and they don't soil it any more.
    As for general soiling, ours are 13 months and still wee indoors if we're not watching them. They are not allowed upstairs and are limited to the conservatory and the kitchen when we're in, although we always sit with them. If we go out there back in their crate and there quite happy with that.

They do not let us know when they want the loo, they just wonder off and we have to follow them, and put them outside. If you havnt noticed they have gone then we're going to find a puddle, they still do that now.

But they no longer foul their crate, so as soon as we open the crate it's straight outside for a wee.

There a lot better now but we still have to watch them, and we still put them outside every hour or so, and we still don't let them upstairs on their own.

20. Flo's Dad

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice