Housetraining your pup or older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by CarolineH, Dec 7, 2009.

1. patco

patco PetForums Junior

This looks like a serious problem.. Did you manage to leave him and if the dog stays calm alone in the yard for example???

2. Grace_polly

Grace_polly PetForums Newbie

Help, my dog (shih tzu cross Jack Russell/Yorkie)
    Still pees in the house at night.

She's 2. She's been spade. We have a dog flap which is ALWAYS left unlocked.

I take her out last thing at night and first thing in the morning. We also have another dog (5yrs old) and she doesn't pee in the house.

We have a utility room, which the dogs have to go through to use the dog flap.

Very often I'll find a pee puddle in here.
    It's tiles so I scrub most of the floor in case it's run between tiles.

I use an ammonia free floor cleaner or disinfectant.

Can you recommend anything else?

It's not every night but I can't put my finger on what's causing it.

We are moving next month. And most of the flooring is carpeted where they'll be 'hanging out' so, I wAnt to try and combat this ASAP. I've run out of ideas!

3. sarahgabriel

sarahgabriel PetForums Newbie

the training can only be efficient depending the dog 's age and it'(s type ,

4. sidders2

sidders2 PetForums Newbie

When cleaning up accidents indoors, try using biological washing powder in warm water.

The enzymes in the solution work really well on actually breaking down and removing the odours as opposed to masking them, which I think is a key factor in training a dog to go outside.

It took a little over a week to house train our pup. It can be a little 'intensive', but having quick easy access to a large back garden made it so much easier for us.

Good luck to anyone currently toilet training...!

5. Alex Troy

Alex Troy PetForums Newbie

Very informative thread. I especially appreciate CarolineH mentionioning that tell your dog off for pooping when your there will just make them feel like they cant do it infront of you. Sound advice, and will be implementing it. Not sure how I will confine the little one though for the night. Any thoughts on a pet gate?

6. bexh70

bexh70 PetForums Newbie

HELP!!
    Trying to housetrain my puppy but he still keeps weeing and soon as he is in the lounge (sometimes as much as 4 times an hour).
    I started off by taking him outside regularly to show him a toilet spot and rewarding him with that. He started off really positive and crate training him really helped and he can stay dry in his crate for around 4 hours now. He uses outside when we are out there and I take him out after waking and eating etc and he uses the garden - not always the same spot he uses two places.

The lounge is the problem and I don't know what to do I don't tell him off inside but it seems excessive when he is indoors. We spend a lot of time in the garden and I am starting to wonder if he has too much freedom to go out there do I need to keep him in more until he is trained. Any recommendations would be great and I am
    not sure if he is just a little young or if I am doing something wrong. Loki is 13 weeks old I have had him for 2 weeks. I know it doesn't happen over night but the lounge urination seems odd.

7. Su7

Su7 PetForums Newbie

Hi our puppy is 15 weeks old & to be fair he never messes inside,i think that's mainly because we have the doors open all the time but I do watch him a lot & let him out if he is by the door. However we have an issue at night where when we wake up in the morning he has wee'd A LOT & more frequently lately poo'd a lot as well. This is on newspaper not all over the floor (poo seems to go a bit further). We take him out before bed every night & I leave a small amount of water down for him. We have a crate which he sleeps in but coz he is still messing we didn't think we should shut him in there at night. I also read u should until they were 12-14 weeks old. Also we have a 4 year old & I didn't want to disturb her at night.

He sleeps from 10 until around 6-6.30(6.45 if we're lucky) & he's been doing this for about 4-5 weeks. I'm not sure when exactly he is going to the toilet. Any help/advice or pointers (or telling me I'm lucky & expecting too much too soon) is very very welcome xx

8. LadyUkkey

LadyUkkey PetForums Newbie

Hello, we have a problem with our 8 year old Samoyed. She is kept in a kennel outside at night adequate space outside to mess and inside to sleep with a plastic bed and during the summer months she is sleeping in her outside part of the kennel which is fine as its dry and cooler there and her bed is dry but as it gets colder at night she wets her bed in her warm inside part then goes and lies outside as she has wet her bed. We did stop this initially by taking her blankets away but she has started it again as we are heading into cold wether again. I don't want to take everything out of there although the breed is a cold weather dog I don't think it's fair.

She cannot sleep inside as she wets the bed if we leave her in the house alone, she enjoys her kennel, her own space.

We tried not as much water which is okay for winter but it's still warm in the morning at the moement.

She is puppy pad trained we where informed so started putting pads in her outside part of the kennel which worked for maybe 2 nights but she then ended up sleeping on it or the rain got them saturated and she HATES puddles or wet matts.

We don't know how to tackle this she has no health problems the vet has said she is fine. All healthy.

Help.

9. LadyUkkey

LadyUkkey PetForums Newbie

Hello I don't know if this will help. It it will help find out when your dog is going to the toilet wether it's as the same time or not. You can set up one phone or laptop or iPad as a camera which shows you the live stream to your other iPad or phone it's just an app like a baby cam app you can download for free...

10. SiksiMiksi

SiksiMiksi PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have questions and problems relating to house training my 3 month old puppy. I have had her since she was two months old and was told by the vet not to take her outside until after her third vaccine. She completed this recently and so I began taking her out. She loves walking. She loves being outside. And there's no problem with that particular aspect. However, she just will not pee or poop outside. Granted, I've only been taking her out for the past three days, but not once has she even tried to do anything. I've checked for solutions online and tried everything possible:

• I took her outside as soon as I got up in the morning, as well as after every structured meal and whenever she woke up from a long nap. I took her outside before going to sleep, still nothing.
    • I work from home so I keep an eye on her at all times, and when she's started sniffing around the floor/squatting/looking like she wants to go, I scoop her up and take her outside. Nothing.
    • I've taken some of her "accidents" outside with us and placed them in the location that I want her to go in. She's sniffed them a little and still nothing.
    • I've tried running a bit with her and playing with her while outside. Tried massaging her stomach. Again, nothing.
    • If there has been an "accident" inside, or the start of such, I've taken her out without talking to her and placed her in the location that I want her to go in. Nothing.
    • I've let her off the lead once or twice to see if she will go around a corner when I'm not directly looking (although, I've crept around to see if she is doing it so I can praise her) and nothing.
    My friend tells me that the reason she won't go outside right now is because the past three/four days have been rainy and its wet and muddy outside. I don't know if this is an actual factor or not. I've had her out for varying time periods. Last night before bed time, I had her out for 50 minutes so that she could do something (She hadn't pooped the entire day because every time I caught her squatting or readying herself, I'd stop her and take her out). Instead, she sniffed around and then got so agitated because we weren't moving and I wasn't talking to her or engaging her, that she began whining and trying to drag herself from being tethered to the lead. Then, we got back inside, and within five minutes she just pooped right next to me.

It's so exhausting to do. I live in a high rise block of flats, so I don't have direct access to a garden. I have to take the lift down to the ground floor before we can get out. She hasn't done her business outside once yet (except when she got very excited that another person was around and she started wagging her tail and peed out of excitement). She hasn't even looked like she was going to try and do it outside. So, I've never been able to reward her or praise her since starting to take her out. Is it normal for a puppy not to do this in the first few days? I've had an adult dog before, but this is my first puppy, so I'm a little confused and really have no idea what to do to try and get her to go outside.

11. Angie1961

Angie1961 PetForums Newbie

12. Angie1961

Can I ask what you all use as a praise word, I intend to use go pee pee to do the act, but if I say good girl am I setting myself up for disaster indoors? I have a clicker to will cclick and treat

13. Angie1961

Can I ask what you all use as a praise word, I intend to use go pee pee to do the act, but if I say good girl am I setting myself up for disaster indoors? I have a clicker to will cclick and treat

14. Cherrywhite

Cherrywhite PetForums Newbie

Hi I hope this is in the right place and I'm sorry if it isn't. I'm wondering if anyone can help me I am now at my wits end and don't know what to do.
    I have a 8 month old Labrador and I'm having trouble with her toilet training. Since I got her at 10 weeks she has had so many troubles with her insides, it started with a parasite in her poo which she transferred an infection to her urine, this was diagnosed as ecoli and took 3 months of antibiotics to clear up. She also has to be on a special diet for her poo and still has days which are runny.
    I have followed all the ways to toilet train her except a crate but she still pees in the house and occasionally poos. She has gone all night without doing anything but especially during the day she goes more in the house than outside. I let her out every 3 to 4 hours sometimes she goes and then other times she won't and within a few minutes of being in the house she pees again. We have had her checked and there is now nothing wrong with her I just don't know what to do now. I have even tried with food but because of her diet even this didn't work. Can anybody help any advice would be appreciated.

15. Jasper & Ashes

Jasper & Ashes PetForums Junior

Our dog was house trained very quickly. We had her from 10 weeks old and she was house trained in two weeks. The reason for this was she had awful diahorea when we first had her, which turned out to be worms and an allergic reaction to her food. (which is now sorted). Because of this we had to take her outside to do her business every 20-30 mins, by doing this she trained herself very quickly. She used to tap on the back door and bark to be let out, and now to this day (7 Months old now) taps on the cat flap to be let out. Although it was not a very nice experience for her or myself as her toilet was so awful bless her, this constant persistence of taking her outside really worked. She is now completely housetrained as from 12-13 weeks, and has a food that she can now eat. All in all a very happy saluki x Greyhound :)

16. neilo67

neilo67 PetForums Newbie

can you take your puppy into the garden to wee before its 2nd injection ?

17. leashedForLife

@Cherrywhite -
    i'm sorry i didn't see Ur post much sooner, but please don't "let her out" to void; U cannot cheat, she needs an adult human to go out with her, on leash, & monitor. Somebody must witness what she voids [solid or fluid], how much, & where - so that U now know what places she favors, & can take her briskly to a favored toilet spot to do her thing. :)
    Also, the monitor needs to have high-value tidbits, pea-sized to half-pea size, on their person to reward the dog every time she voids outdoors - with warm sincere low-pitched praise accompanying her goody or goodies. Don't be cheap; this is no time for kibble, unless it's meat-based cat kibble & the dog has no food allergies.
    Use such worthy rewards as cubed skinned / boned chicken, lean beef, turkey breast, low-fat low-salt cheeses [Mozz, Provo... ] cubed & frozen so they don't glob together in the bag, & similar. Pouch tuna or canned fish / chicken-breast are also popular.
    A lickable treat can be a big thrill not only for housetraining, but also to teach cued behaviors or in B-Mod. Refillable tubes of food-grade silicone are very handy, come in all sizes, & are top-rack dishwasher safe. Fillings can be low-fat cream cheese AKA Neufchatel, mixed with yer choice of water-packed canned tuna or mackerel or sardines or salmon, or pouch tuna [not bluefin, please; their global popn is in freefall]. About 3 parts Neufchatel to 1 part drained fish is good; mash the fish with a fork, have the cream-cheese soften at room temp in the sealed package, & stir the fish thru it.
    Store the mother-lode in a tightly sealed tub or even a zip-bag in the 'frig or freezer; load the silicone squeeze-tube from the mother lode, & date it on a piece of masking tape. Don't keep it out of the 'frig for more than 2-hrs, extrude a half-inch of goody & WIPE IT OFF the tip to clean the end before putting it in the refrigerator. Discard any leftover portion after 7-days, wash thoroughly & refill / date.
    U can defrost the frozen mother-lode the night before U need it, in the 'frig; scoop out the yummy, refill the tube, immediately re-freeze the mother-lode.
    Lick-it sticks are another option, but they are not very nutritious - they're junk food, so use them sparingly. They either push up like lipstick, or have a roller-ball which the dog licks. I wipe the top of the push-ups, & i wash the roller-ball & the screw threads, plus the inside of the caps, before refrigerating them - & i do not SHARE Lick-it sticks or roller-balls among multiple animals.
    [I'm a trainer, & i don't want to spread anything among my clients' pets or among shelter pets or pets in foster.]
    I can safely share lickable goodies from a squeeze-tube by using disposable gloves - i put a bit on my gloved fingertip, & the dog licks the glove, not the dispenser. When i switch dogs, i put on a new glove. ;)
    I'd also buy an airline-approved shipping crate, & confine her when she cannot be supervised - introduce it with goodies, throw treats inside for her to go in & eat, put nice chewies in the crate & shut the door while she enjoys them [cow hooves, antlers, stuffed marrow bones, stuffed & frozen Kong-toy, etc].
    Shipping crates are the gold standard for transport; WIRE crates are dangerous in transit & should never be used, they collapse in impacts, each wire rod is a potential impaler, they can crush or trap the occupant, or rupture.
    Shipping crates are burst-tested to withstand impact, & the double-ended spring latch makes 'popping the door' impossible.
    To save $$, buy a pre-owned / used crate via an on-line classified - some folks give away their crates once the pup is housetrained, which is a sin. :(
    A shipping crate is for lying down, not pacing or jumping; if the dog can enter, U-turn, & exit, it's big-enuf. // "Try on" a floor model at a pet-supply store to determine the correct size for Ur dog; bigger is not better, U don't want the dog rattling like a single nut in a large tin during an impact accident. :eek:
    She can sleep in the crate at night; if she needs to void overnight, set an alarm for 3-AM [assuming U go to bed about 11 & taker her out as late as possible] - get up, throw a jacket or robe over PJs, slip on shoes, open the crate, leash the dog, lead her out to a favorite spot, & WAIT - don't talk, fuss with a mobile, play, ____ , just wait.
    She pees, REWARD & praise, indoors, dog to crate, leash atop crate, coat / robe off, shoes off, back to bed; 10-mins elapsed time, on average.
    ;)

neilo67 likes this.
  18. neilo67

neilo67 PetForums Newbie

i was planning on keeping her on a lead and take her to her spot in the garden :)
    im just worried that as she wont have had her 2nd injection

19. leashedForLife

QUOTE, neilo67:

i was planning on keeping her on a lead and take her to her spot in the garden :)
    i'm just worried [about] that, as she [has not] had her 2nd injection

/QUOTE
    well, Neil, i'm glad to hear U intend to keep her on-lead for potty trips - that's excellent! :)
    as for risk of exposure, please read -
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/...dogs-vs-risk-of-contagion-cost-benefit.75012/
    How many dogs have *had* regular access to that garden, in the past 18-mos? - Is it shared with neighbors?
    Does it have easy public access, or is it enclosed by a fence or wall?
    It's not other dogs that are a threat to a pup, it's dog WASTE with Parvo virus in it. The poop can be long-gone, & if U haven't had a killing frost, the virus will still be present in soil & on grass, etc, which grows up thru it. // that said, how many dogs or pups actually contract Parvo in Ur home area?
    It's likely to be very low numbers - & lack of socialization / lack of habituation is actually a far-greater risk to the dog than the very unlikely risk of catching Parvo, which - just to ease Ur mind - is not very dangerous to pups 8-WO & up. ;)
    even with 24-7 vet care, 85% of 5-WO pups who develop Parvo, die of it. :( IV-fluids, meds, pro nursing, etc.
    Conversely, 85% of 8-WO pups who develop Parvo, survive - with decent home-nursing, & no vet care.
    The difference? --- The 3-weeks of growth, greater body-wt, more-mature GI tract, slowed growth of GI lining.
    Ur pup, if they are 8-WO or older, is out of the danger zone. // Get her out & meeting new ppl, other dogs, seeing / hearing / experiencing new things. Go to the vet's waiting rm, read a mag, get her on the scale, [with permission] put her on a S/S exam table & give some treats.
    Then go home. // Brief, happy intros to things she will be expected to encounter or cope with - elevators, fire sirens, passing traffic, bikes, shouting kids, _____ .

neilo67 likes this.
  20. neilo67

neilo67 PetForums Newbie

no other dogs at home and the garden is fenced off thank you for your help ..i hear frenchies are had to potty train so id like her getting used to going outside from day one

leashedForLife likes this.