Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Housetraining your pup or older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by CarolineH, Dec 7, 2009.

1. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Whatever you do, never ever tell your pup off for toileting in the house in front of you, no matter how tempting that might be. Doing so just tells him that he mustn't let you see him do it so he won't go if you stand outside with him either but rather wait until he is back indoors and your attention is taken by something else!

• Take pup outside when he wakes up, after he has eaten and also every hour to an hour and a half during the day as well, especially when he is first learning - this amount of time can be lengthened in short increments as he gets better at it. ;)
    • Repeat a word or phrase when he is outside (I use 'Get it done!) and praise hugely when he 'performs'. :D
    • Ignore all mistakes and clean them up without a word - it was a humans fault that it happened as they were not watching for the signs. :rolleyes:
    • If he sneaks off to do it (maybe because of being told off for doing it in front of his owner!) then be aware of that and keep an eye on him. :001_cool:
    • Using paper is up to you but I prefer to teach pups to go outside. :)
    • At night time, it does help if the pup is taken out last thing before you go to bed and then bedded down in a restricted area like a crate or puppy pen. Or you can block off a part of the room with an old fireguard or heavy, large objects etc.
    • In the morning, take the pup outside as soon as you can, ignoring any mess he may have made overnight. I tend not to let my pups go beyond 7 or 8 hours at night.

Housetraining will take far longer if you work or go out a lot as nobody is there to teach him so be aware of that. ;) Some toy breeds are reputed to take longer to train so a little more work and vigilance may be needed with them, bearing in mind that tiny dogs have tiny bladders and bowels so may need to go that bit more often.

Remember, a dogs housetraining may take a backward step if it has been stressed by something, like a move or someone new has joined the household, or indeed someone may have left. Fireworks or thunder may also cause a lapse in cleanliness - when you are stressed or scared do you not want to go to the loo more often? Illness, particularly urine infections can cause temporary incontinence too so if your previously clean dog suddenly becomes dirty it may be wise to get him/her checked out by a vet.

Finally, be prepared! Have a bucket or tub somewhere handy with kitchen towel, cloths, disinfectant and a carpet cleaning spray in it along with plastic bags to put the soiled kitchen roll or cloths into. Clear up the mess first and then wash the area thoroughly with a fluid designed to get rid of smells at source rather than one that just masks them. I personally use Odor-Kill, both in my yard and in the house if ever an accident occurs. :)

Mods? Do you think this topic might be 'pinned' please? TIA!

2. krismtl

krismtl PetForums Junior

It was relatively easy to housetrain our rescues - and now we rarely have any problems...have a funny story on this though...

Not too long ago was watching a movie (trying to finish it even though I knew the dogs probably needed to go out for a wee) and when it was done I went to the kitchen and saw Nero sitting in the corner with his ears back the way he does when I'm angry about something...very strange as as far as I knew he hadn't done anything wrong!

I looked around to see if there was a mess around or anything he might have done and nothing. Strange. I kept walking and checked the bathroom. Nothing. Very strange. Just as I was about to leave the bathroom I moved the shower curtain back and sure enough there was a clear trail of pee in the bathtub!! Have apparently inadvertently trained my dog to pee in the shower if he needs to go in the house!!

Crazy dogs they really do the funniest things sometimes:)

3. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Sorry krismtl, I completely missed your reply yesterday!

Yes that is amusing and just shows that dogs do work things out for themselves sometimes! My cat has the run of the house at night but his cat litter box is in the spare room? If the spare room door is accidently shut, he will go to the toilet in my bath over the plug hole! I like to think that's because he knows I can then scoop it up, pop it in the toilet and then wash the bath out afterwards. :cool:

4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Thread is really good hon :)

I might just add that i wish someone would've told me about the small dog thing BEFORE we got Mika. That being said though, this boy is a year old and he still fails to stay dry overnight! my patience is wearing thin. I'm almost tempted to build him a little house, buy him the warmest jumper ever to keep him warm overnight and just leave him outside lol! (I wouldn't really do that) So if anyone can give me ideas on how to stop this dog peeing in my house overnight it would really help. He's fine being left alone during the day he doesn't do any business in the house then. Its night time/early morning before we wake up that we have a problem with!

wooden top likes this.
  5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i meant to highlight the toy breed sentence lol!

6. leashedForLife

hey, addy! :--)

i am not doubting the frustration or hassle, :( but has he had a THORO vet-check?
    anatomical problems can cause urinary issues, not addressable by B-Mod; a dog whose bladder adheres to the abdominal-wall
    cannot compensate for that abnormality. illness is another possibility, a low-grade chronic bladder-infection is difficult
    to Dx. an occult urine-spec, CULTURED - not just peeked-at under a scope - may find hidden-nasties lurking... :eek6:

Q #1 - is he desexed?
    if not, i would snip him ASAP; if he is already, then skip it, :lol:

is he living with chronic stress? noisy or unpredictable environs, changing cast of characters, recent House-Move!,
    new family member, fave-person left for college, other new/disturbing circs... ?

can U crate him? IOW is he crate-trained + comfy in a solid-walled, preferably airline-approved shipping crate?
    a soft-sided bag will not work; he will chew-out or if he pees, :rolleyes: it goes thru the bag to carpet, anyway. ;)

also, is he leg-lifting or does he leak?
    dogs / pups with urinary incompetence will dribble while sleeping, or even while walking from point to point...
    this can be a UTI, attached / tilted bladder, stress-induced (excitement, anx...), or several other things.
    medication for urine-leaks while sleeping, or even for stress-triggered leaks, is very inexpensive to try, and often solves
    the problem.
    stress-induced (fear) or excitement-triggered leaks, are often best tackled by both: meds to reduce the size
    of the problem (the emotional spike), and B-Mod to change the dogs emotional response from stress/upset/arousal,
    to tolerance or even pleasure.
    these meds may be temp: antibiotics for a bladder or kidney infection, etc; or lifelong - lack of muscle-tone
    in the sphincter and overnite leaks while sleeping, and so on. :thumbsup: the chronic-condition meds are not costly.

if he has had a really-thoro vet exam and is supposedly perfectly healthy + normal,
    then i would go with one of Two barrier-methods:
    crate the dog at night, or belly-band him At All Times when unsupervised.
    either an airline-approved shipping crate, or an all-cotton, washable belly band... :thumbup1:
    if U opt for belly-bands, i would get (or make! ;)) Two - one is in-use, one clean + dry spare. a cheap UNscented
    NO-deodorant panty-liner/pad is EZ, peel + stick, belly-band on dog, only remove it *after* hes OUTSIDE the house...
    On-leash, please - taking-off whilst wearing it means he will not leak, :yikes: he will DRAIN * HIS * BLADDER
    into the pad/belly-band... :( which can urine-scald the poor tyke. :crying:
    waah-haaa-waaa...

if he has emotional issues - readily stressed, easily excited, reactive, etc -
    DAP pump spray can be a terrific help.
    so can Rescue-Remedy LIQUID - i personally now use BOTH at the same time; they each address separate
    emotional areas, and there is zero interaction or overdose... :thumbup: :)

re Rescue-Remedy ** Pastilles ** (pills) - WARNING
    the candies contain Xylitol - an increasingly Common! fake-sugar which can kill dogs; blood-sugar values plummet,
    + they can be comatose in minutes - their kidneys can fail. :yikes: Tic-Tacs have KILLED more dogs via Xylitol
    than any other item. Toothpaste + Chewing-gum are other risks...
    Read * Ingredients! on ANYTHING that
    U give to the dog, this %$#@! is showing up in more + more items, every day - :mad: from salad-dressing to muffins...
    cheap @#!$%!* non-food #@$@!... :mad2:
    that it was safe last-week, does not mean that it still is, this week... :(

all my best,
    --- terry

7. Dougal

Dougal PetForums Member

Dougal is 5 months old next week and accidents are very rare now (touch wood!). He wasn't crate trained and living in a flat made things a bit tricky, but I just took him out as much as possible and - if I caught him in the act - I did tell him off.

He used to sleep in the kitchen, and would pee overnight on a puppy pad - now he sleeps in my bedroom he goes through the night - or makes it clear he needs to go out.

It's not just he knows he's supposed to go outside (I think!) - he's grown a lot in the last month and seems to have much better control now. Peeing on the carpet the moment he stops playing hasn't happened for a while :eek:

8. leashedForLife

excellent - Good puppy! > click! < and a treat...

Good owner! humans have to make the opp to do-Right happen! :thumbup:
    a 2# box of virtual-chocs for U...
    :laugh:
    any puppy-pics?

wistfully,
    --- terry

9. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

cant we just go and buy some pampers and cut a tail hole in???:rolleyes::lol::lol:save the time and trouble!!!!!!!!!!

10. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

LOL You're naughty!;)

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

PMSL. Shouted at Luna one day (long day, lots of family stress) and all she did was half hour later, bold as brass squatted and peed right in front of me without a care in the world.

Almost peed myself laughing :D

Marilla and Hanna/lana like this.
  12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'll be needing to go back over this now lol. Because she's so small when we're up with the babies during the night I'm going to take her out as well but apparently she's at least partly housetrained.

BenMac likes this.
  13. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i so wish my oh had seen this before telling muffin off :mad: she`s too scared to go in front of us now regardless of how long we stay outside so we`re having to hire someone to train her and part of me thinks she`ll never be trained. i wish he had listened to me in the first place instead of claiming he knew best as he always does :mad::mad:

you1ve wrote a really good guide for new owners :)

14. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i wonder if closing of this room where mika pees in would help in stopping him wee in the same place every day - or at least wee inside full stop at night?

What do you lot think? If i closed off the conservatory area you reckon it would stop him messing?

15. marcbuck

marcbuck PetForums Newbie

Hi - hoping you might help?

My 3 year old Boxer has recently (a month ago) had an operation on her bladder, as she has congenital defects which were causing her to wet the bed. We still give her propanol to help her bladder sphincter at night, and it seems the bed wetting has stopped!

However, despite daily walks and regularly letting her out (including just before bed for a good 5 minutes), she is unable to control herself overnight. Not only does she wee, but also messes during the night too - and some nights it is either one and not the other.

The vet said that it is likely she is having to re-learn what it feels like to need the loo, and that this has caused her to take a big step backwards in her housetraining. She also said that as dogs don't differentiate between one kind of toilet mess and another, this may have caused the messing too. This has led to some frustration in the family, as we have small children and cannot easily tolerate a dog which cannot keep clean in the house.

I understand it is not the dog's 'fault' - blame is of no interest to me. We absolutely have to prioritise the children, and so the reasons for the incontinence is valid only as part of the process of solving the problem. Ultimately, coping with incontinence that cannot be cured is not an option, so I hope we can do something with this to solve it once and for all.

Any ideas, please?

16. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Go right back to teaching basic housetraining as if she were a puppy using the guidelines as set out in my original post. I am afraid that there is no other quick fix and in as much you would have to be patient and tolerant of an older child who reverted to bed wetting, you will have to grit your teeth and tell yourself that accidents will happen and that they clean up. Have a cleaning kit to hand, bucket, disinfectatnt, kitchen roll etc and do your best for your girl. This is not her fault after all. It's hard I know but there's no other way of doing it bar inserting corks and that just is not going to happen. ;) Stay in touch with your vet and get her checked regularly too so that he/she can detect any setback problems early and deal with them.

17. marcbuck

Thank you! Advice all received and will follow.

Happy New Year to you all :smile5:

Liza Connie likes this.
  18. leashedForLife

why not crate her at nights?
    if she does spring a leak, at least it is contained, not all over the floor. ;)
    --- terry

19. marcbuck

The whole point of the surgery was to stop her wetting the bed - if we put her in the crate (again - we trained with it as a pup), we won't know if it is the older problem or the new one.

Thanks for the input :)

20. StBernardMummy

StBernardMummy PetForums Member

Fantastic thread! :thumbup1:

Come at a perfect time for me and as a new puppy owner I think this is some of the best advice I've read on puppy house training. I think it should be "pinned". Really pleased to have read this too.

I don't tell Murphy off for having accidents in the house and tend to ignore it completely and clean it up straight away. Must warn though you use A LOT of carpet cleaner and floor cleaner. Paper is ok but for wee's it just seeps through onto the carpet anyway so doesn't really solve anything.

Anyway..GREAT thread :) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice