Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Household Items & Plants etc. Harmful To Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dally Banjo, Mar 31, 2010.

1. negative creep

negative creep PetForums Senior

Can anyone recommend an indoor plant that's good for him to chew on and hopefully reduce vomiting. I know absolutely nothing about plants so it needs to be cheap and idiot proof!

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Cats sometimes vomit because they have a furball, and sometimes it won't pass through ( either end ) but at your fellas age I would get him a checkup at the vet to be sure. Grass or cat grass is very good for getting hairballs up and my Max get very constipated when he has a furball and I now get him some whiskas anti hairball treats they are £1 at the moment in Asda and they do help Max, especially as all the hairball pastes I have bought Max just fights me at I get more over me than in him. He takes the whiskas treats easily.

Viv xx

3. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

I agree with Viv, if the vomiting is regular then it would be worth a check at the vet.

I have heard that cats like parsley (and so I grew some) but my cats ignored it, but they are strange and to try would only cost £1 :)

4. Mistyweather123

Mistyweather123 PetForums Member

Too tiny for me to read on the can but how about Airwick Automatic air freshener? We have 3 lavender ones on the go all of the time. It has never bothered the dog.

5. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

You have to have disinfectants, especially with kittens, but a good/safe one is Zoflora AS LONG AS CORRECTLY DILUTED AND SURFACES ARE DRY BEFORE CATS HAVE CONTACT(hope I'm allowed to mention brands, other brands do exist etc as they say on the radio!). I like this one because 1)It's fairly safe
    2) smells quite nice, I'm on cinnamon at the moment as it's Christmas
    3) it's a concentrate, so as long as you have a squirty spray bottle you can make up your own and save a fortune, most of the spray disinfectants you buy ready to squirt are water.

6. purplecupcake

purplecupcake PetForums Junior

Is washing up liquid okay? And detol? Air freshener?
    Is my deodorant okay as long as I spray it on while they're out of the room?

Great post by the way

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Dettol is definitely toxic,airfreshener etc to be avoided if possible ,as are diffusers unless of course they are the pet remedy/feliway ones ;)

8. krissycat

krissycat PetForums Newbie

Wow :eek:hmy: I think I have a peace lily on my bedroom window sill. That said my cat has never tried to digest any bit of it. If so much is poisonous to cats they must be good at knowing about it.

My parents cat did have a good go at eating the plant i got my mum for christmas though :/

9. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

Just wanted to add some info about secondary poisoning. I know rat poison is dangerous to cats and had some securely housed. My cat ate part of a mouse that had eaten poison I put down for a rat infestation.

For more info, see this thead http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/395708-ziggy-vets.html

10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Does anyone know how easily lilies spread? One appeared in my front garden over the winter and I was only able to ID (either arum or calla, people are debating) it last week. I've completely dug it up now, so that particular plant won't be an issue. However I've no idea how it got there? Or whether it's likely that more will emerge or not?

11. Catmomdo

Catmomdo PetForums Newbie

I looked into this before I got the kittens, as I have a lot of house plants and remembered that especially kittens are into everything. Our old cat didn't bother with plants other than his cat gras and papyrus plants. According to my research all but one and a few over which there seems to be some controversy in the online advice, are ok.

So ok are my Orchids (Phaleanopsis), Bamboos, Spider Plants, Christmas Cactii, Money Plant.

My Anthurium will need to get re-homed.

Controversy I found regarding Ficus Benjamin and Lemon Trees (all citrus trees, really). The old cat nibbled on both and was fine.

One of the little ones actually loves cuddling up inside the large pot of the Ficus Benjamin for a bijou snoozette, every so often. So far neither of them have nibbled any plants yet, but they can't jump on the window sills yet ;-)

I have started growing a few colonies of catgrass and will buy more papyrus plants. In general, when it comes buying house plants, I only buy what I can identify. No matter how good a plants looks, if the description only says "Foliage Plant", the store can keep it. With my luck I'd bring home an Oleander, only to go to sleep and never up again :)

12. Suzi Sheldon

Suzi Sheldon PetForums Newbie

I just got a kitten and I have lillys in my kitchen and two indoor plants should I remove these asap? Even if he cant get up on the counters yet?

13. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

14. Suzi Sheldon

Oh okay they have been removed to the outside bin!

15. Suzi Sheldon

Is a Bromeliad guzmania plant ok?

I also have a parlour palm which I think is on the list so thats in the bin now also

16. emotink

emotink PetForums Newbie

Gutted! It looks like I'm going to have to bin all my aloe Vera plants ... they're the only plant I don't seem to kill. Luckily Harper can't reach them yet

17. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Some of those plants are deadly to cats, I think we all know about the Lily, Belladona , deadly nightshade etc but you have included many plants that are mildly toxic. My cat is indoor only and i dont allow any plants in my home with the exception of cat grass and cat nip

18. Pollypudding

Pollypudding PetForums Newbie

I have absolutely no plants in my house or my garden,for the risk of poisoning to my cat.

19. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

There’s actually a few hardy plants you can have that are suitable for UK homes and won’t harm your cat. Garden centres and plant shops aren’t very knowledgeable though so best you do your research first.

Plants below that are safe are usually readily available online or in shops here. I would always look for the full botanical name to be certain, always two but perhaps three names

Chlorophytum comosum (spider plant - although I understand some cats like to chew these like cat grass so they might not live anyway)
    Pilea peperomioides (missionary plant/chinese money plant)
    Peperomia genus
    Ceropegia woodii (chain of hearts)
    Sedum morganianum (burros tail)
    Echeveria succulents
    Hoya genus
    Aspidistra elatior (cast iron plant)
    Fatsia japonica (false aralia)

These plants are low maintenance and small probably best put up high so less tempting anyway.

It’s possible to also have mint, basil, thyme and rosemary if you have the sunlight and the inclination to look after them.

True ferns (check as the so called asparagus fern is not!) are safe as well but I feel they require too much humidity. I found a fern called Pteris ensiformis (swordbrake fern) which can cope with less humidity and watering.

I have a chamaedorea seifrizii (bamboo palm), impatiens velvetia, tradescantia fluminensis but these are less commonly sold. There are other similar sounding plants that are poisonous so my approach is find plants that are safe by full botanical name, plants suitable for the environment (mine is cold and average humidity) and low maintenance. I want them to be hardy against pests and to water them weekly or less :Happy

As you see it’s not impossible to have plants but whether it suits your lifestyle and survives the cat is another thing.

My cat loves the plants, she never chews them but likes to sniff them when she walks around so I think that contributes to her wellbeing as she chooses to be an indoor cat.

20. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

Ceropegia woodii (chain of hearts) is usually available around this time of year as it’s commonly sold as a valentine gift. The variegated versions of these plants are very nice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice