Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Household Items & Plants etc. Harmful To Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dally Banjo, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mum

Mum PetForums Member

Thanks for making this thread (and I hope its okay to bump this?) as trying to find cat safe indoor and outdoor plants that won't harm our upcoming new kitten has been quite difficult but I love having oxygenating plants in my house and a bit of colour in my garden.

I bought some sage seeds for my herb patch but a friend recently told me sage is actually toxic to cats? I was not aware of this (it is also absent from your list) so I'm not sure if this is simply a myth but there is very little information on the packaging.

Also does anyone know if lupins are okay? As I have quite a country cottage type garden with lots of catnip, lavender, lemongrass, thyme and a few apple trees. As far as I'm aware everything on that list bar the lupins which I still have a question mark over are cat safe.

I'm also unsure whether or not to keep my indoor chilli plant and christmas catcus?

2. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

You are so right. This plant thing is a bit OTT. I have had cats forever and only recently have I heard about plants being poisonous to cats. Its a wonder any of mine lived seeing as I have tons of the aforementioned plants n my garden.My 20 year old has been sleeping in a bed of lavender for years, its permanently squashed, it hasn't done her any harm. I think you only need to worry about it for house cats. For example I would never have lillies in my house cause the 20 yr old spends most of her time their, You are so right, we have enough to worry about!

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You take from the list what you want to believe.The plants on the list may not all be dangerous but they have obviously been put on there for a reason.
    To say it should only be relevant to house cats is being a bit naïve , daffodils , tulips and many lillies (common in many gardens)to name but a few are grown outdoors .

tincan likes this.
  4. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

Ok will do. I am just saying that I have many of the plants on that list in my garden including daffs and tulips and my cats have never come to harm. I don't think its naive to believe that a house cat will be in far more danger cause they are in a confined space with the said plant.Its a real shame if people go and panic and dig up any plant that could possibly be a slight problem.Its a good idea to make a list and be aware when buying new plants but its also helpful to remember that cats are clever creatures and don't tend to sit in the garden eating a tulip for dinner. Mine go for the grass and the catnip. Straw poll.. how many people know a cat that died of poisoning due to chewing on a plant in the garden? I don't know any but it could be me? I would seriously be interested if this is something that I should be taking more seriously?

5. simon89

simon89 PetForums Newbie

I agree. My cats get tuna every sunday. Tuna especially for cats as you said.

6. simon89

simon89 PetForums Newbie

I agree. As I ran over the list I was wondering whether it is all correct. For example concerning the tulips, they've never harmed any of my cats...

7. eggyteapot

eggyteapot PetForums Member

yes the link i sent dosent seem to have it anymore heres another link to some 100% tuna meat no nonsence

Thrive Complete: Thrive Complete Cat Food 6 x 75g

8. Kazbosh

Kazbosh PetForums Member

Very good idea to to find out what's harmful to your animals :) x

9. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

11. ForeverHome

ForeverHome PetForums VIP

Mine only go for the plants when their tray of grass is getting tired but thanks for the list it's a long one!

Aren't ALL bulb plants toxic? And all lilies and onion/garlic types?

12. dormouse

dormouse PetForums Junior

I checked the list and wonder about the dracena palm.. I've had one for six years or so, and my cat often munched on the leaves, but it did not seem to do her any harm... The plant started to look quite sad, though, so I put it away on a shelf, but I wonder if I should put it somewhere completely inaccessible?
    I also have an Uzambar violet, Echinacea and Christmas cactus which do not appear in the list and also a small soft cactus-like plant that I do not know the name of... perhaps someone does know? I am attaching a picture here.

Attached Files:

13. gatsby

gatsby PetForums Senior

I found out that tea tree oil is rather toxic to kitties.

Within minutes of getting out of the shower and entering the same room as the cat he hightailed it out of there and started coughing up a lung, i was so worried but he just kept running away from me, after five minutes he was fine. It didn't click it was anything to do with me until i washed my hair again today with the same shampoo/conditioner and exactly the same thing happened. A quick google told me it was the tea tree oil that is toxic to cats.
    I am kind of so happy i found this out now as i was going to use tea tree oil to prepare my floors.

If the smell alone has this effect on the little mite, i hate to think what it would be like if he ingested it.

14. lazydays

lazydays PetForums VIP

Just saw a cat on Bondi Vet a few nights ago who died after having paracetamol. It was a frightening reminder :(

15. Nourhan

Nourhan PetForums Newbie

Dally Banjo is a good answer!

16. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

:confused: :confused: :confused:

17. Britt

Britt Pooh’s slave

Some of these plants are in my garden or should I say in my land lady's garden. I'm not supposed to get rid of them. What can I do? Is Pooh gonna eat them? :eek:

18. Britt

Britt Pooh’s slave

Maybe I could cover up the potentially harmful plants?:confused:

19. nightkitten

nightkitten PetForums VIP

I would say it depends on what type of plants they are. If they are lillies then get rid of them no matter what your landlady might think.

But some of the plants on the list are only harmful if they e.g. eat the root. I would check what type of plants they are and then google what part of it is actually harmful to cats before you take any action.

20. Britt

Britt Pooh’s slave

Holly :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice