Hi Just read this on the internet and thought I would post it. I wasn't aware that things like Dettol were dangerous to cats so will look for something that doesn't contain the dangerous chemicals listed in this article Sharon x A WORTHY MEMORIAL FOR HARRY The death of her much-loved cat prompted Frances Green to campaign successfully for warning labels to be included on one of Britain 's best known household disinfectants. Mrs Green, from Welwyn Garden City, lost Harry in July 2002 but it was not until a year later when she watched a television programme on household cleaning that she discovered some disinfectants can be dangerous to cats. Coincidentally that information had been given to the programme by FAB. Having used Dettol throughout Harry's illness and around her home for many years previously, Mrs Green was concerned that her attempts to maximise hygiene may in fact have had an adverse effect on Harry. Disinfectants containing phenols those that turn cloudy when mixed with water - are of particular concern because cats are unable to eliminate the toxins following ingestion. A cat may swallow the product by licking his paws after they have come into contact with it. Last summer Frances launched a one-woman campaign to have a warning included on every bottle of Dettol. Supported by the vet who had treated Harry and by her local MP, she contacted Reckitt Benckiser, the manufacturers of Dettol and outlined her concerns. In October she heard that her lobbying has been successful and the company promised that warning labels would be included within six months'. Frances hopes that Reckitt Benckiser's positive attitude will also be adopted by other manufacturers of products containing phenols. Frances said: Any positive eventual outcomes are a memorial to Harry, a very special cat.' Alex Campbell of the Veterinary Poisons Information Service commented: We very much welcome the news about additional label information for these products. Phenol and some phenolic compounds and coal-tar acid derivatives used in some disinfectants, specialist soaps and wood treatments, such as creosote, are potentially problematic in many animals especially if the exposure is significant. Cats, birds and some reptiles are known to have a particular sensitivity to these compounds. As acid derivatives phenolic compounds are potentially corrosive and prolonged skin exposures can cause severe skin irritation or burns. If the animals ingest or groom material off contaminated skin they may develop irritation or burns of the mouth and tongue as well. They may therefore vomit or salivate excessively. In severe exposures such substances could be absorbed across damaged skin and cause systemic signs such as breathing difficulties, hyperthermia or even shock. Luckily severe cases are very rare, but so are animal specific warnings on such products and therefore this commitment by a major manufacturer like Reckitt Benckiser is most laudable.'