Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Joanne gilmore, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Joanne gilmore

Joanne gilmore PetForums Newbie

Hi I'd really appreciate any advice. I have a 6 month old chihuahua who I had got to pad toileting in my old house. I've just moved house and he is peeing and pooping anywhere and everywhere. My partner doesn't want him to be allowed upstairs but I also have an 8 yr old chihuahua who has always slept with me. I working from home for the next 5 weeks so can be vigilant with the hourly outside toilet breaks. My question is do I do it with both dogs even though the 8 yr old is already trained. And if I get a stair gate so he has to stay downstairs from now on , does tha rule also have to apply to the 8 year old? Is a stargate a good idea or should I try creating them both at night? Thanks in advance

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

When you say the 8 year old is already trained, do you mean to toilet outside or on pads?

3. Joanne gilmore

Outside :)

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

In that case I'd focus on the younger one - fewer distractions for both of you.

For the crate training, have either used a crate before and if not, what's the reason for wanting to train for one now?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Joanne gilmore

No particular reason just thought for bed time but maybe just a stair gate will suffice

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Crate training is useful, for example if you ever need to have vet treatment the vet might need to keep your dog in a crate. But do take it very slowly, the door shouldn't be shut against the dog's will and if he gets upset, it isn't the happy place you need it to be.

A stair gate will obviously keep him from going upstairs - is your plan to have your older dog still sleep with you and the younger one downstairs alone? That might be ok if he is used to not sleeping with you already. Or do you want to stop the older one from sleeping with you too and have them both downstairs? That might be more difficult if the older one is used to your company.

7. Joanne gilmore

Yea that's the problem I dont want to leave the younger one alone downstairs but the older one is used to be upstairs so I dont know what to do?

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm sorry if I am missing the point but presumably the younger one has been sleeping alone at night up to now so there may not be problem?

9. Joanne gilmore

No they both used to sleep upstairs with me and lots of puppy mats but now we have just moved into a new house with my partner, brand new carpets and he is going anywhere and everywhere. My partner thinks we should keep him downstairs until he is fully house trained

10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Ah, I understand now. Rather than a crate, which would take time to train, what about using a puppy pen to limit where they can go? If I were going to do this I would have that, on an area of hard floor which could be cleaned easily, and use the toilet training techniques like you said - taking him out frequently including overnight. Also I would sleep in the same room to reassure him/them for several nights before gradually moving away.

11. Joanne gilmore

Thanks for that I think I'll give that a go :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice