Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Marty333, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Marty333

Marty333 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I’m having some issues with house training my 10 week old Japanese Spitz. I will try to explain my situation. I will apologize now if I have put in too much information.

I bought him home at 6 weeks of age; he seemed to settle in very well and didn’t miss his mum or the breeder. As I had 5 weeks off work I figured this was a great time to get a dog. I started off buy putting him in the corner of the living room where he could see everything that was going on, he had a cage about 4 square meters in size and had all required thing in there with him, basket, food, water, toys etc. Initially I put paper on the bottom and a couple of soft towels.

For the first 2 weeks I took him outside as much as possible, every time he did his business outside I would praise him. Then he would come back in side and go in his cage. When he got to 8 weeks of age I took him to puppy school and found out that he should be getting a treat every time he does his business outside. Therefore from this point forward he got a treat every time he did outside.

Obviously he had accidents inside, in his pen and around the house when he was let out. Occasionally he would start to walk towards the door, or even on a couple of occasions bark at the door, I would let him out and after a few minutes of sniffing around he would do what he needed to do and would get praise and a treat for it. I’ve made a concerted effort to always give him a treat for doing his business outside.

The problem is that he still seems to do stuff inside the house. Today I took him outside as soon as he woke up, he did some stuff outside for which he got a treat and praised for then we went back inside. 2 minutes later he had pooed inside over the floor! He seems to be showing signes that he knows he needs to do it outside however allot of the time he just goes where he stands.

To make it even more difficult I’ve gone back to work now so he is locked up in the dining room all day as you can imagine when I get home there is a fair bit of cleaning that needs to occur.

I’m really hoping someone can tell when where I’m going wrong, please help.

Kind regards
    Marten

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

HI. Welcome to the forum.

How long are you leaving the pup for?

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Please can i just say your baby is still a baby and is bound to make mistakes for a while as he can't hold his bladder for that long.

What's his 'toilet' routine? how often do you take him out in the garden for a wee?

4. Marty333

Hi goodvic2, at the present he is being left at home between the hours of 7:30am and 5:00pm, all of last week and up until today i've been paying him a visit at lunch. I take him outside for 45 min or so then i duck back off to work.

5. Marty333

Hi ad 1980,

That thought was in the back of my mind. I remember reading that puppy's dont get bladder control to about 16 weeks of age, i'm hopeing that it's simply accidents. When im at home his current routine is to be taken out after drinking, eating, playing and at other times that i think he may need to go. Most of the time we go outside he does something.

What im having troubles understanding is that I'm sure he knows he gets a treat every time he goes outside to the toilet..... I've taught him how to sit using treats as well and he picked this up in a matter of days!

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

What you need to do, is when you are home let him out like regularly, like every 15-20 mins and after every nap and feed.

He actually should get the hang of puppy training from 5-6 months but yeah if you do what i suggest regularly and praise him every time he does business outside (and let him out before you go to bed at night) you shouldn't have a problem. He should get the hang of things.

Pups aren't going to learn if they aren't shown where to do things.

Also be patient with him, he's still a baby :)

Glad your'e doing your reading.

Oh just answer one question - please tell me you are NOT taking him for a walk for 45 mins?!

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It is a very long time for a puppy to be left and not to expect any mess is not been very realistic.45 minutes out of been left for 10+ hours is nothing.
    I wouldn't expect my two to hold on that long and they are fully grown adult dogs,mine would have already been out 3 times by lunchtime.

Some puppies don't have any control and be reliable until 8/9 months of age,he might know where to go but has no control therefore goes where he is.
    I would suggest you go right back to basic's and out every 20/30 mins,praise reward,I would imagine that this will be difficult though with your current working hours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice