Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House Training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Joolz1975, May 24, 2010.

1. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

We are getting a Cocker puppy shortly and im well aware that house training can be a struggle and i know that there will be accidents and im prepared for that, what i want to know though is when training can you train a pup to go in a specific area of the garden?

I have a 4 year old daughter and hubby is happy to get a dog but is worried about dog poo! it will obviously be cleared up straight away but i have read that you can train pups to toilet in area of the garden rather than just messing anywhere in it!

Im wondering how easy this is to do and if there are any specific products i could buy to encourage him to go in a area we are happy with!

I know to take him out on his lead and take him to the area and to praise when he has done his business but is there more to it than this??

Thanks for any help!

2. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Hi.

Not really.

The more you enforce and praise the behaviour you want the more the dog will show that behaviour regardless of what it is.

Taking the dog on a lead for the first few months will benefit you greatly as it will restrict the area he can go but be prepared to wait for some time but have some mega treats on hand for when he goes such as cooked chicken pieces.

Great work on getting the rules set out clearly before the dog arrives :thumbup: Things will go a lot smoother if that is the case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice