Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House Training with a Pup That Won't "Go" Outside

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SiksiMiksi, Mar 10, 2017.

1. SiksiMiksi

SiksiMiksi PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have questions and problems relating to house training my 3 month old puppy. I have had her since she was two months old and was told by the vet not to take her outside until after her third vaccine. She completed this recently and so I began taking her out. She loves walking. She loves being outside. And there's no problem with that particular aspect. However, she just will not pee or poop outside. Granted, I've only been taking her out for the past three days, but not once has she even tried to do anything. I've checked for solutions online and tried everything possible:

• I took her outside as soon as I got up in the morning, as well as after every structured meal and whenever she woke up from a long nap. I took her outside before going to sleep, still nothing.
    • I work from home so I keep an eye on her at all times, and when she's started sniffing around the floor/squatting/looking like she wants to go, I scoop her up and take her outside. Nothing.
    • I've taken some of her "accidents" outside with us and placed them in the location that I want her to go in. She's sniffed them a little and still nothing.
    • I've tried running a bit with her and playing with her while outside. Tried massaging her stomach. Again, nothing.
    • If there has been an "accident" inside, or the start of such, I've taken her out without talking to her and placed her in the location that I want her to go in. Nothing.
    • I've let her off the lead once or twice to see if she will go around a corner when I'm not directly looking (although, I've crept around to see if she is doing it so I can praise her) and nothing.
    My friend tells me that the reason she won't go outside right now is because the past three/four days have been rainy and its wet and muddy outside. I don't know if this is an actual factor or not. I've had her out for varying time periods. Last night before bed time, I had her out for 50 minutes so that she could do something (She hadn't pooped the entire day because every time I caught her squatting or readying herself, I'd stop her and take her out). Instead, she sniffed around and then got so agitated because we weren't moving and I wasn't talking to her or engaging her, that she began whining and trying to drag herself from being tethered to the lead. Then, we got back inside, and within five minutes she just pooped right next to me.

It's so exhausting to do. I live in a high rise block of flats, so I don't have direct access to a garden. I have to take the lift down to the ground floor before we can get out. She hasn't done her business outside once yet (except when she got very excited that another person was around and she started wagging her tail and peed out of excitement). She hasn't even looked like she was going to try and do it outside. So, I've never been able to reward her or praise her since starting to take her out. Is it normal for a puppy not to do this in the first few days? I've had an adult dog before, but this is my first puppy, so I'm a little confused and really have no idea what to do to try and get her to go outside.

2. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Are you using puppy pads indoors? Or were you before her jabs?

Because if you were, the simplest solution may be too take the pad outside where you want her to go and of course don;t put them down indoors anymore.

3. SiksiMiksi

I was using them before we started going outside, yes. However, she was using them mainly for peeing on. Only about 10% of the time would she go and poop on one of them.

4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

The weather may well play a factor - some dogs and puppies don't like to "go" when it's windy or raining. When I first started walking my girl after her second jab she refused to toilet on walks and would only go in the garden where she was used to going - nothing like your own toilet eh?

I would do as Muttly suggested and take the pad outside and stop putting them down inside. Otherwise I think it's just a case of patience. If you wait outside long enough then puppy will have no choice but to go and when that happens make sure you have a treat handy and lots of praise. I know it's a nuisance having to wait outside, particularly if it's cold or raining. The other thing you could do is just keep taking her out at very regular intervals and watch her like a hawk when inside. Good luck!

5. SiksiMiksi

I have stopped using the pads inside altogether, so I don't have any of them around anymore at all. However, she did pee on an old towel that I laid down for her earlier, so maybe I'll take that out with me when we next go. Like I say, I have a pocket full of treats ready to give to her. I just haven't been able to do so in the past four days because she's refused to do her business outside.

I've stood around waiting for her to do something for up to an hour and still nothing. I'm just trying to keep positive about it all and hope that things will change. :)

And thank you for the suggestions and information.

6. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

It can take longer than you think. The first time our girl did a wee on a walk was when we were out all day with her on a trip somewhere and she had no choice but to go. You may have more success on a nicer day when you're happy to just be outside with her for a good while.

7. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Hi, your post is a couple of days old so I hope you have made some progress by now. If not...

Maybe having to interrupt her when she begins to "go" indoors has just made her a bit anxious about the whole thing and she doesn't want to do it in front of you at all. What if you try taking her out on a long lead every half hour, and have her tethered closely to you when you are indoors? It sounds hideously intensive and exhausting but hopefully won't go on for too long before she performs for you and you can build on that and leave longer intervals.
    Most advice is to be hugely enthusiastic when they go, but if she's a sensitive girl I'd be concerned about startling and overwhelming her, the opposite of what you want, so maybe just give a high value treat with gentle praise. I'd even aim to feed her only when she toilets outdoors; give her a high incentive to start and then continue.

All this is just a theoretical suggestion, I'm not speaking from experience, but if others disagree, at least I have bumped your thread to the top where it will be seen again :)

8. SiksiMiksi

Hi

Thank you for your suggestions. She doesn't have issues with going in front of me, for sure. Only a couple of hours since, we'd been out for a 45 minute walk, I showered her feet down and dried them (she apparently enjoys running in muddy water) and then she followed me in to the kitchen where she proceeded to poop right in front of me.

I've made some kind of minor progress with things. While she hasn't actually toileted while we've been out on a walk, I do keep moving her to the balcony that I have here. She peed on an old towel a couple of days ago that was on the floor for her to lay on while her bed was being washed. I moved this to the balcony and she has done her business on it two or three times. So, that has been kind of an outdoors experience, which she was treated for. However, she hasn't always done it there. It's just been a couple of select times. I'm hoping that if I can get her used to doing it in the cold, as it's still windy here and quite chilly, that maybe I can take the towel with me when we go down outside for walks and she can sniff it and start doing her business there all the time. So, yes, minor progress, but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

On a side note, I have been in contact with one of the girls who adopted one of the other puppies from this litter and she says that her puppy also hasn't done anything outside yet, either. So, it's a bit of a patience, persistence and waiting game.

applecrumlin likes this.
  9. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Yay, even little steps are good, if they're in the right direction!

If she's small, you might do worse than consider a cat litter tray on your balcony. When she gets older and has better control, and the weather is better, then maybe sprinkle a handful of cat litter outside to encourage her to transition to fully alfresco :).

Good luck, it sounds like things are heading in the right direction, but don't forget that it's often two steps forward and one step back;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice