Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House training question

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lisa Hynes, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Lisa Hynes

Lisa Hynes PetForums Newbie

Luna is 5 months old, we have her for 5 weeks now. The house training is going well, she wees on command and rarely has accidents. I stick to a routine and bring her outside every hour. The problem is that when she’s not physically brought outside she does wee and poo inside without making any attempt to get my attention or go outside. Am I doing the right thing by bringing her outside every hour and telling her to wee? Should I be waiting for signs that she needs to go before I bring her outside? I know 5 months is still very young and I shouldn’t expect too much from her but I’d like to get the house training right as quick as possible. If I’m not doing it right I’d like to know now so I can change things! Thanks in advance

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Is your reward for outside toileting generous enough? You really want her to understand that it is well worth the effort of holding her toilet in order to get this fabulous treat. Roast chicken or frankfurter sausage cut into tiny pieces work well and several tiny pieces delivered in quick succession seem to have more value than one piece of equivalent size. Also make sure you reward immediately so it is clear that the reward is for toileting and not for anything else such as coming to you.

Apart from that, yes keep taking her out on a regular schedule. I wouldn't expect her to be able to tell you.

Lisa Hynes and tabelmabel like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes, sounds like Luna is doing really well. It is hard to remember exactly but i think my Tilly was around 8 months before she started giving any sign that she needed out. Definitely much older than 5 months anyway. Same as luna, she was 100% clean from a very young age but that's because i was very vigilent in getting her out.

Before she started asking to go out, we did get to a stage where i didnt put her out every hour though - she was holding it til i put her out.

I cant remember what age that was but i know she was going through the night from midnight til 7 by 13 wks.

Have you tried leaving her a bit longer than an hour or dont you want to chance it?!

Sounds like you are doing great!

Lisa Hynes and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice