Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House training - nearly at the end of my tether!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jools02, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jools02

jools02 PetForums Newbie

I hope someone can help me. We have had our Jack Russel x Yorkie for a month now. He is nearly four months old. I am getting nowhere with housetraining him and I'm nearly at the end of my tether (my DH has reached his). He will go to the back door to be let out when he wants to poo, but won't do it for a wee. He will wee all over the house, sometimes right in front of me even though he knows he will be told off for it! I let him out at the times when he will normally have a wee, sometimes he will go in the garden, sometimes he will come straight in and wee in the house!

We have not crate trained him although he does sleep in the crate and I let him out once in the night so there's no problems there.

Please please if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful to hear them!

2. puppywalker

puppywalker PetForums Junior

Hi there,the little rascal.

How about usuing a key word ie. go pee or wee wee,and as soon as he performs straight away give him a nice treat,it has to be straight away though.

This is how I have taught all my pups.Go back to basics take him out evey hour,after a nap or play session,when you see if ready to squat and wee use the command you want and treat him,keep repeating though it may take some time but it does work.

My girl got so smart that when she was 8wks old I would take her outside and say get busy and she would perform the action sometimes but did not do anything(little rascal).

Another option is as soon as you see him at it in the house,is just lift him up and straight outside with him,stay with him until he performs and follow the above.Hope this helps.

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I agree with above. Also you say that he comes straight back in the house and wees........do you go out with him?? You must as i think he may be more interested in following you and be forgetting to go to the toilet first maybe??

Make sure that when you let him out you go with him and praise/treat him for performing, i know it is time consuming sometimes but think of the time you are spending mopping up accidents!! ;)

Also you say he knows he will get told off for it! Never tell him off as you can make him insecure about weeing and he may then tiddle because he is anxious about getting it wrong! So just ignore the accidents, when you catch him weeing pick him up quickly and pop him outside, then reward for even the tiniest dribble outside, then clean up his accident with non biological washing powder or a proper urine spray but don't tell him off please as you could lengthen the whole process. :) :D

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

He is still very young to be completely house trained, but i know what being right at the end of that tether feels like:rolleyes: molly will be 1yr old next week and she has been a nightmare still would not trust her 100% yet:eek: she used to do exactly the same go out come back in and wee there is nowwhere in this house she has not weed she is our 3rd springer and worst to housetrain, she was once actually eating her tea and was weeing at the same time:eek: unbelievable i know. But dont be too disheartened and dont scold him this will make the situation worse, but do react they have to learn that the home is not a toilet, if you are making sure you are letting him ouy after sleep and play and every i would say at this stage 20mins then he will get there. Good luck.

5. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

In order to teach him that OUTSIDE is the toilet, you need to make sure that he is outside when he needs to go.

Go back to basics. Take him outside:

Every 20 minutes AND...
    After food.
    After a drink.
    When he wakes up.
    After play.
    After a training session.
    During the ad breaks when you're watching telly.
    Any other chance you can!

Note I said TAKE him outside - not PUT him outside. Take an umbrella if it's raining. If you get bored, take a book.

When he goes, and WHILE he's going, put a word to it - "Hurry up" or somesuch... whatever word/phrase you like but ideally one you don't use at any other time ;)

Do NOT tell him off even if he makes a mistake in the house. You risk him thinking that you're telling him off for weeing at all, rather than where he's doing it. Think about it - it's a huge stretch to expect a dog to realise you're telling him off for the location rather than the deed. If you catch him in the act, scoop him up (being picked up usually stops the flow!) and take him out but try to avoid that happening - you need to be in the right place when the urge strikes so you set him up to succeed, rather than correcting mistakes.

If you can't watch him, for instance when you're cooking or whatever, I strongly recommend getting a crate to avoid accidents.

Clean up accidents and the places he's soiled before with a solution of biological washing powder/liquid - the enzymes get rid of the odour whereas other cleaning products often contain bleach/ammonia and actually encourage dogs to reoffend in the same area.

6. jools02

jools02 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for everyone's replies. I have been doing a lot of what has been suggested, i.e taking him out after play, naps, eating, drinking etc, standing outside with him. He does wee outside frequently and I make a big fuss of him and give him a treat when he does. Up to now I have been shouting "oi!" at him to stop him in the act (in the rare occasion that I catch him) and then straight away I've been taking him outside where he won't finish (perhaps because I've shouted). I will keep trying with some of your suggestions though. Thanks!

7. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

To complicate matters even more - be wary of over praising when he performs in the right place. Just as telling him off when he makes a mistake can make him think he mustn't wee at all, so going overboard with praise can make him think you're praising the act not the location... and sometimes they'll wee in front of you, expecting praise, wherever they happen to be! :rolleyes:

Personally I prefer to rely on habit and a dog's natural tendency to be clean to housetrain, rather than praise or treats. You're less likely to get misunderstandings :)

Do put a word to it though - a dog who learns to wee when he hears a neutral "Do wee wees" or whatever is worth far more than praise, especially when it's late at night and freezing and you just want the bloody dog to empty so you can get to bed :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice