Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House training hassles

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NessaJ, Mar 5, 2017.

1. NessaJ

NessaJ PetForums Junior

I'd really appreciate any advice as we seem to be going round in circles! We have an 18 week old Pointer bitch and we're struggling with house training. I posted here when she was very little as she would wee about every half hour and it seemed like she never emptied her bladder properly, always doing little wees even if she had just done a wee outside. She's now moved on from that thankfully and seems to do proper sized wees. On the whole she's dry during the day but that's because we make sure she goes out at least every hour, sometimes more. When she wees outside she gets loads of praise, treat, etc and we try and make a big thing of it. But other times she just wees in the house, even if she's just been outside for ages. So it seems like she doesn't have the first idea that she's meant to go outside despite us doing all the positive reinforcement.

We've house trained other dogs before and have never come across a puppy who is so slow to grasp what to do. We're not expecting her to ask to go out at this stage but she should be grasping by now that she should be weeing outside. She is a very happy puppy otherwise, who is learning lots of things and is well settled in. Any advice please?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

So if I understand you correctly you let her out hourly in daytime and she doesn't toilet indoors, so is it overnight she is having accidents? If so are you setting your alarm for a toilet trip during the night? It may be she just needs that for another few weeks.

3. NessaJ

NessaJ PetForums Junior

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. She's generally dry during the day but that's only because we're on her case all the time. If we don't take her out at least every hour she wees or poos inside. She doesn't seem to realise that outside is the place to do it and I thought by now she would have realised the difference. She's sometimes dry overnight so she can hold on for about 8 hours if she needs to.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

To be honest you are doing the right things in setting her up to succeed by taking her out hourly and praising. The timing of the reward is really important, it must be immediately on toileting so she knows what it's is for. Don't make her come, or sit, etc. Make sure you don't react at all to accidents indoors. If you get annoyed she may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if she needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want.

The only other thing would be to make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

Some pups are just slower.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. NessaJ

NessaJ PetForums Junior

Thanks Joanne. She doesn't have a UTI, and perhaps she is just slower on the uptake than other puppies! We'll get there but it's hard work as we're on high alert with her the whole time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice