Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House training advice

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ninnut85, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Ninnut85

Ninnut85 PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I'm looking for some clarification on house training of puppies
    I have a 10 weeks old Jack Russell. A friend also has a 10 week old Jack Russell from the same litter.
    When it comes to house training I have always thought that positive reinforcement is the best way to house train a pup. So I take him out often and reward him when he does his business outside in the right place. Obviously being a puppy he still is early in the learning stages so any mistakes I just clean up and carry on as normal. I don't believe in any kind of action against a pup that wee's in the house.
    My friend believes the best way to prevent them weeing in the house is to have a spray bottle handy and whenever they catch their pup in the act they quickly spray him with the bottle to stop him weeing.
    I don't really believe this will teach the pup anything other than whenever he wee's he gets sprayed. I believe this will just cause the puppies to be scared of needing to wee and will hide when doing it rather than them going outside to do it because obviously, they don't know the difference between inside and out.
    Can any clarify if the spraying is a good idea or not?

Thanks.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

When they are small and first start toilet training, they don't have a great capacity to hold large amounts and for long periods. They also don't always recognise the need to go or realise too late. That all improves with age, growing and toilet training. So in the early days, they simply often do it because they haven't got the capacity, or control or realisation, much like human kids.

All that shouting, punishing and aversive methods often teaches a pup, is to become nervous about peeing in front of you which can just hamper toilet training when you take them out to train them the right place too go. It can also make a lot of them more likely to sneak off and do it out of sight.

Im with you on this one, your doing it the correct way, with frequent toilet trips and when they get it right lots of praise and a treat to re-enforce its the correct place, and encourage them to do it more outside.

#2 Sled dog hotel, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice