Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House training a border collie

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Marykate, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Marykate

Marykate PetForums Newbie

Absolutely desperate for advice, I have a three-month-old border collie puppy and cannot seem to house train him.

Despite bringing him outside after naps, food, play time and every hour or sometimes even every half hour he will not stop peeing in the house. I have sometimes spent over half an hour with him outside and all he will do is dig and run riot around the garden, will then come inside and pee on the carpet. Other times he will pee outside come inside and then pee again. I am at my wits end and just do not know what to do with him any longer.

I love him to pieces and get so frustrated with myself for getting so angry with him. I understand he is still young and needs to learn but we have had him for over a month and I feel that no progress is being made at all. Desperately need some advice, please help!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Are you giving excited praise and a really high value reward for toileting outdoors - maybe something that is only used for outdoor toileting? Also, hard as it is, try not to show ant emotion for indoor accidents. If your dog senses your annoyance he may slink off to toilet unseen, the opposite of what you want.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

First of all stop getting angry with him. That isn't fair and it won't help, in fact it will probably make him worse. It can make them scared to toilet in front of us and they sneak off to do it or wait until we go out.

Use a solution of biological soap in hot water to clean soiled areas and rinse thoroughly. Block areas too that are hot spots to break the habit.

Slip a lead on to take him outside and give him lots of praise when he toilets outside. Use a cue word when he goes, which you can then use to encourage him.

Watch for signs such as sniffing, circling etc. and take him straight back outside. If I caught my rescue in the act I just said Ah ah calmly and directed him straight outside, then lots of praise if he went outside.

Don't give free access to the garden as that teaches him nothing and confuses the issue.

Is he being taken out during the night still?

Go right back to basics as if he was a tiny puppy.

4. Marykate

Oh yes we give lots of praise for outside toileting lots of rubs, treats we haven't tried yet only because we were worried that he'd only do it for treats but I think this is something I will do now thank you for your help it's really appreciated :)

5. Marykate

We have a cue word that we use 'wizzies' and he doesn't have ready access to the garden. He will always ask to go outside for poos but for some reason is continually peeing inside, I will try a mixture of soap and water for cleaning from now on.

Toileting during the night has never been an issue, we lay the puppy pads down for him and he either uses them during the night or will have go once we let him out in the morning.

Thank you for the advice is greatly appreciated.

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Puppy pads are your problem...

What you think you are teaching, and what is actually being taught are two different things!

Puppy pads teach as a rule...it's ok to toilet in the house on a pad or not.

Rudydog, JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Puppy pads confuse the issue. Basically teaches them that toileting inside is OK. They can't differentiate, sadly.

I'd ditch the pads, have a night time toilet break if necessary at first, back to basics during the day, coupled with removal of all odour residues to get him on the right track.

JoanneF and lullabydream like this.
  8. Marykate

OK we will get rid of the puppy pads altogether, would you recommended having the carpets cleaned to get rid of all odours completely?

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you can get a good deal and can afford it, it might help. Otherwise, spot clean them yourself and use something like Febreze - and have them professionally cleaned once you've cracked it! ;)

Also make sure walks, furniture, appliances, doors, etc. are cleaned cos my lurcher cocked his leg a few times in the early days ;)

10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Absolutely get rid of the pads. And it's fine to reward, you can work on withdwithdrawing after he is trained. Use your cue word ONLY while he is in the act of toileting or he won't know what you mean. When he toilets reliably, then you can cue him.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That explains everything.
    By using puppy pads, you have taught him that you WANT him to pee indoors.
    Get rid of them, take him outside at frequent intervals, praise and treat when he goes outside. Set your alarm for a couple of toilet trips during the night, and have him sleep in a crate in your room so you'll hear him if he becomes uncomfortable and needs to go out to pee.
    There's one thing puppy pads are good for; making money for the manufacturers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice