Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House trained dog toilet issues

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Paige0395, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Paige0395

Paige0395 PetForums Newbie

My 4 and a half year old chihuahua has been house trained since she was a pup. We’re now having problems with her urinating on our rug. We’ve purchased 3 of these specific rugs now (super soft shagpile type) and each time she does it. She doesn’t do it upstairs where we have carpet and hasn’t done it on any of our previous rugs which were different materials. How can I stop this behaviour/is there anything I can use on the rug to deter this behaviour? She has access to outside 24/7 via a cat flap so I really don’t understand why she’s doing it. We’ve tried the obvious i.e, putting her outside, ignoring her, telling her no etc. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A vet check for a uti or remove the rug?

Paige0395 likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If she hasn't got a UTI or other medical cause, then she hasn't generalised the house training as far as not peeing on ALL surfaces indoors.
    Simplest thing is to get rid of the rug.
    Do bear in mind that it has been VERY wet and horrible recently and a little dog like a Chihuahua would feel the wet and cold. There have been times when my collies have refused to go out.

Paige0395 and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think having 24hr access can also create issues as it can undermine the initial toilet training as the dog gets used to just going when it needs .... and if it’s cold and wet outside it chooses inside instead.

I’d go back to basics with toilet training with regular trips outside to toilet with treats and praise to train the bladder and bowel again and lock the dog flap.

Paige0395 and lorilu like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My first thought as well was get rid of the rug she is using perhaps there is some smell to it she doesn't like, and don't replace it with same, find a different kind of area rug to use, then retrain as above.

Paige0395 likes this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

You need to supervise her and take out for regular toilet trips and not rely on her to use the cat flap. The cold weather might be putting her off. I would ditch the rug for a while as its become a habit to use and she likes the feel of it .
    Also as others have said , check for UTI.

Telling her off wont help.She will avoid going to the toilet in front of you. make it rewarding when she does go to the toilet outside , give her a treat immediately she finishes her toilet.

7. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Thinking outside of the box, or flap
    Could she have been put off using the cat flap( which I also used when I had chis) by a big cat being outside, or even coming in ? ( if it's not a chip activated one)
    Other than that I agree with all of the above

8. Paige0395

Paige0395 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all of your advice, I think I’m going to have to get another type of rug as that seems to be the main cause of the problem. If the behaviour carries on with another rug then I’ll know that it’s a training issue. She’s such a fussy dog, doesn’t eat dog treats at all so they won’t help with retraining so I’m going to have to find another type of reward as a response for good behaviour/toileting.

Thanks once again!

lorilu and kimthecat like this.
  9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

good luck. Its difficult when dogs don;t like treats . I have a little chi x who was never house trained before I adopted her. She is fine now except for the odd accident but I do always supervise her and watch her as sometimes she will come in without doing anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice