Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

House move letting them out am I risking it?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Fluffymum, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Fluffymum

Fluffymum PetForums Member

We've had them in the new house for a week, they are very settled and a couple of days ago they started hanging around the door wanting to be let out whereas before after we moved they didn't seem bothered like they were too busy checking the house out, two are very much outdoor cats, when we've moved before they always settled very quickly if they have all the usual things around them which they do, I feel like it's time to let them out but 1 week does seem quite soon.
    They'e always come in for the night and we let them out rather than a cat flap which I think has made them more homely if that makes sense.

What do you think?

2. Fluffymum

Anyone, yay or nay? lol

3. Tao2

Tao2 PetForums VIP

I'd keep them in longer personally, it's not worth the worry of letting them out sooner. How old are they? We have always managed to keep ours in for 2-4 weeks depending on how keen they were to escape. Except 1, who was completely mad to get out and managed to leg it after 24 hours and nearly gave me a heart attack. Thankfully we did manage to catch him before he had got far though.

4. Fluffymum

Lol sounds like two of ours! the eldest two, Jack and Same are brothers and are 4 years, then the little lady Tinker is 3, then we have Charlie who is 1.5 years and 6-7 month maine coon Max who doesnt go out.

5. Maire23

Maire23 PetForums Newbie

It's always a risk letting them out. It also depends where you live. How is the traffic near your house?

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If they are cats that like their food and come when called with food noises I'd let them out and call them back to be fed a few minutes later. I'd do it in the morning once it's light and I'd be watching like a hawk and call as soon as they seem to be considering jumping the fence or whatever, and call after 3-4 minutes anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice