Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hound show

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by Freyja, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I know there are a few on here that have hounds. Is anyone else of to Stafford for the hound show tomorrow?

I have Owen and Simba entered. Simba is in junior and yearling and Owen is in post grad. He is officialy a veteran this year but at the hound show all the big champions are bought out so theres not much point in me entering him in that.

I've just checked the entries 326 dogs giving 341 entries. The only show that has a bigger entry of whippets is crufts. We have 2 judges and the bitches still have to start at 9am to be finished in time for the group.

My other hound breed greyhounds has 45 entries but my 2 aren't entered.

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Well yesterday was a complete waste of time. Simba did nothing in either of his classes. In fact in his second class despite the fact that the steward told the judge he had a seen dog in the class he ignored me. He was just about to place the dogs when the steward told him again I was there. He told me to join the end of the line then moved us all together then before I even had a chance to stand Simba he came and asked me to leave the ring. Then Owen went in and he didn't like him either so I got soaked bathing the 2 of them soaked unloading the car and soaked again loading it to come home all for nothing I may as well have stayed at home.

3. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

What a bummer!!

Still, you bought the best dogs home i am sure :D

Sorry i don't know your breed well? is there much variation between types? :)

4. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Frustrating isn't it! :rolleyes:

We didnt do anything either. Maya didnt like the halls at all and kept fidgetting and wouldnt move properly :rolleyes: I do think she deserved to do a lot better in her breed class, but thats dog showing for you :rolleyes:

5. waggytailsstore

waggytailsstore PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear you had a bad time, what a bummer! And getting wet 3 times! We got soaked a few times at Emley, once setting up, during the show when we had a torrential downpour and had to get all the stock back inside, and also briefly whilst taking the tent down:mad: we had a good show however and met lots of doggy friends, didn't get to see any of the fun dog show but we think a few of the winners came to see us for treats:D only bit of the show I did see was when the hunting hounds ran past towards the main ring, beautiful dogs;)
    Hope you have a better show next time:) Are the judges blind?

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My boys aren't too bothered about the halls at Stafford show ground as it is local to us and a lot of our open shows are held there so they are used to them being echoy.

Waggytailstore the judges are not blind they just tend to look at the wrong end of the lead. I don't mind being beaten but I do expect my dogs to be given a fair chance and to be judged on the dog and not who is at the end of the lead.

Luvdogs yes there are 2 types of whippet the show type and the racing type the type tend to be smaller finer built.

7. waggytailsstore

waggytailsstore PetForums Senior

Why aren't they looking at the dogs???? It makes my blood boil that your dogs get judged by who's holding the lead, I know very little about showing but is it sometimes a case of who you know??? Very unfair.:mad:

8. lurcherchamp

lurcherchamp PetForums Newbie

Ive been to many shows before and it is mostly all down to favouritism. And can be clicky at times.
    Hope you do well next time:001_smile::thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice