Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hot weather.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MilleD, May 26, 2017.

1. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Why, when the weather is this hot, are all four of my cats asleep upstairs instead of downstairs where it's cooler?

One is in the bath mind so that probably feels quite cool :)

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Ha, mine have done exactly the same, I have electric fans on everywhere aimed at the pets but not on me. :rolleyes:

My husband is away at the moment, he actually texted several times yesterday and face timed me last night to check on the girls during this heat, asking were they cool enough, not once did he ask if I was cool enough.

This house is very odd.

Joy84, Ali71, Matrod and 4 others like this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Mine are outdoors, no idea where Bunty is but Toppy's resting in the shade.

ewelsh and MilleD like this.
  4. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I've been on nights, and finished this morning at 8am (last one for this week, yey!). I decided to leave the back door open this morning, (with the gate locked), so it would be cooler, and so Holly could come and go as she pleased. But she still decided to stay with me at first.
    She's always been a nervous lass, but about 1030am, I heard her "mooooeeeerrrrrroowwww!" And her knew Her Nemesis was in the house. Nemesis had backed herself into the spare room, and Holly had blocked her escape route and was telling her off. I picked Nemesis up, and put her out and shut the back door. :rolleyes:

Joy84 likes this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I had a strange cat in the house last night, I was woken by tapping sounds so I went downstairs and as I got to the bottom, a cat flew from the lounge into the conservatory and out through the window.

Now I think it was a bright tortoiseshell colour - I say think because I didn't have my contact lenses in and I'm blind as a bat without them so I just got a vague sense of colour.

Sad thing was, I found teeth marks in a pack of Wagg Purr treats that were on the coffee table, poor little bugger couldn't get into them. That was the sound that woke me.

Hope he has enough food and water in this weather.

6. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Can you put something down for him overnight? If he returns try to get him scanned in case he's missing from somewhere (instead of just an opportunist)

7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'll put some food outside. I don't really want him coming in, whilst 2 of my 4 were just obviously watching him last night (the idiots), I don't want to cause ructions.

My sister has a scanner I can borrow to see if it's chipped if I can get hold of him. I'll see how it goes. There is an orangey tortoiseshell that lives round here but it's long haired and with my limited vision I'm pretty sure this wasn't

SpringDance likes this.
  8. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Rodney's alternating between the conservatory where it's boiling :rolleyes: to the lounge when he gets too hot. He's been out in the garden a few times but not for long as he gets too hot.

Tilda has been on her windowsill bed next to my open window nearly all day, the sun is coming round now so I've taped a piece of black paper to the window to try & shield her from it & keep her cool.

Joy84 and bluecordelia like this.
  9. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

mine's gone to bed in my bedroom where I've drawn the blackout curtains ! don't know what she'll be like with the fan as I haven't had her long enough to find out if she's used to one, but if this weather keeps up I expect I'll find out soon enough !

10. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Iv is in and out. Neither want to be indoors for longer than ten minutes. There isn't much eating going on. I have opened the door and both sit on the path making no effort to come in. Blue lies on the hot stones.

I think they are enjoying the long grass and abundance of mice. I am feeling not needed!!!

Joy84 likes this.
  11. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

When I left for work at 8 this morning, Milo was lying on the landing in his "hotspot" over the central heating pipes and Suki was in his bed in our room. I don't understand it either, I had to go to work with wet hair this morning as I was too hot to even put the hairdryer on!

Now they are both in the lounge with us enjoying the breeze from the big fan :)

12. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Our house is like a sauna - I have the windows on stays that open about 2 inches and I'm trying to create a draught!!

Thankfully we had air con installed in 2 rooms upstairs which is great but we have the old redundant portable unit too so just ordered a new hose for it and will see if I can find a way to use it downstairs.

When we first switched it on the cats hated the naught scary monster but it didn't take long before they'd all lie in front of it or sit on it lol!!!

13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Not in my house. Downstairs is shaded and upstairs gets full sun on the front in the afternoon.

14. Ariel2611

Ariel2611 Guest

Maybe your cats like the sun?
    ensure that they have enough water (fluid) to drink as they can get very stressed and agitated in the warm weather

15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Don't worry, they have a water fountain...

Edit to add - did you specify fluid just in case I was giving it to them frozen? :eek:

16. Ariel2611

Ariel2611 Guest

Great! Thanks for replying to me... Have a good day!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice