Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hot weather & cystitis again!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tobacat, May 24, 2010.

1. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Some of you will know I've posted on here recently looking for advice re: cystitis. I'm slowly working my way through the suggestions one by one to see if anything really works, 100% wet cat food, water added to food, extra water around the place, maintenance dose of Cystease and Feliway. Next I will ask the vet about further tests and try d-mannose or Zkylene.

With it being hot neither of my cats are interested in their food (they've had 1/8th can so far today between them). I've tried a water fountain and have four bowls of water around the place, but I've just come back to find blood on the carpet. She just won't drink. Luckily I've got Lottie to have a little bit of food with cytease in it, so hopefully that will help it getting too bad. Doesn't seem in pain and isn't constantly straining to go to the toilet. At the moment I don't think I can do much for her, other than keep putting different food in front of her to tempt her (looks like I'll have a good variety of cans and pouches open for her brother to try tonight!).

I'm not really looking for any advice at the moment, just to share this with people who know what it's like to worry about their pets. Hopefully I won't find myself phoning my husband in a couple of hours asking him to come home early so I can take her to the vets!

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ok - perhaps a drastic measure but if she is not drinking voluntarily and not taking wet food - would it be possible to syringe feed her a little water?

3. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

She hates been held and manages to wriggle out, even with two of us holding her, so a syringe probably isn't an option. I've had a thought since my post, I might pop down to Pets at Home later and get a couple of different foods that have been recommended. Even if she does a typical cat thing, only eats some of it and then goes off it, it might help her for now!

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Have you tried scrambled eggs, and then tuna added? Nice and wet, and you can make it with kitten milk.

Rilly never seemed to drink much before we got her water fountain. So I'm sorry to hear that doesn't work either :(

I hope you find a solution! I bet it's driving you mad?

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Out of interest, how many eggs do you put in your scrambled eggs for your cat and how often would you feed this?

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

1 small egg once a day at the moment. It's not a huge amount, but it's nice and wet and she loves it, especially with the tuna :D

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Most certainly a great idea and a great treat! :thumbup: But it should only be fed once or twice a week at the most as egg yolk contains a lot of Vitamin A. Those who feed raw should therefore also feed less liver. Never feed raw egg white (it has an enzyme that depletes biotin) - cooked it is ok but if you are feeding a raw egg then only feed the yolk.

#7 hobbs2004, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Ah I see, well if she likes it, I hope she enjoys it a few times a week if nothing else :D

Thanks for that as well, because I didn't know ;)

9. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Since my earlier post, I've now managed to get a pouch down her, a third at a time and she's now asleep . Luckily she's not stressed out trying to go every few minutes. She's only had one lot of blood earlier this afternoon and woke up to go out for a wee around 7pm. However, I'll stay up a bit later tonight to see if I can coax her into eating a bit more with Cytease mixed into it, in the hope we won't get a sleepless night. If not, I'll at least give the egg and tuna a go (haven't so far as she's slept a lot and wanted to leave her relaxed).

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well that is great news! :thumbup: Here is to hoping that she will keep it up!

Any chance of adding some more water in with her next wet food or would that be pushing it?

11. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I do add a little water to her food anyway (not too much otherwise she won't eat it - she's such a fusspot, but I still love her), so at least that's a bit more liquid in the system.

She's eating a bit better this morning and has done two medium wees in her litter tray (with no blood), so that's a good sign (normally she does loads of tiny ones to start with). I will put her on her usual reducing dose of Cytease anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice