Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hot weather and exercise

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Westdale, May 23, 2010.

1. Westdale

Westdale PetForums Newbie

What are your thoughts on exercising dogs in hot weather, now the nice weather is here we'd like to go out for a bike ride or walk and take our dog with us but I'm not sure taking her out in this heat is a good idea and am worried about heatstroke etc. Is it best to leave her behind and take her out later in the day when it cools down?

2. girlyhouse

girlyhouse PetForums Senior

yes , i wouldnt take my furries out in this heat. walks early in the morning and later at night when its cooler is better .:thumbup:

3. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Totally agree x

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

During a heatwave like this we only take the dogs out before 10am or after 5pm, just to be on the safe side

5. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I took Meg and little one for a supposed walk by a river/waterfall ... but most of teh water had dried up so it was a little unsuccessful! Never mind might introduce Ozzy to the hose pipe later!

C X

6. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

In this weather my three get a walk early morning while its still cool-ish .. and late at night once its cooled down ... the rest of the time they have the run of the garden but prefer lying on the slate tiles in the hall :)

7. Westdale

Westdale PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies, Jess has spent most of the day sitting in the shade under the table so think that answers my question! We'll take her out later when it's cooled down.

8. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I wouldnt even attempt to take my dogs out in this weather, even later in the evening its too warm for more than a walk IMO.

Mo

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I take Ollie to the park at about 7am before it gets too hot. As he has a clipped coat, he doesn't get so hot he's exhausted. I take water with me and he has regular 15 minute breaks where he's offered water. He then gets a second walk at around 6pm as its slightly cooler. Today we took him to the country park at around 11am but it is mostly wooded with loads of shade and a lake where he can cool down in. He was fine. Its common sense what you do with your dog. I wouldn't take them out in the heat of the day where there is no shade at all on your walk. And also if your dog is short or long haired. I feel really sorry for the double coated breeds and long haired breeds, like old english sheepdogs, shelties, rough collies etc. They must suffer loads in the heat. :(

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

In the really hot weather last year we often used to go out at 5-6am before it had gotten hot and not had a later walk at all. It was still too hot in the evening.
    Luckily I think most dogs dont really want to be exercising in really hot weather either.:)

11. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I only take my dog where there is going to be a pond or somewhere I know we can stop and have a swim about. He loves it :) We went this morning and was back for 10.30am a nice walk but a break inbetween to swim and cool down. I couldnt keep him in all day without a walk as he would go mad even in this weather. Even just a quick off lead run or kick about with the ball is better than nothing. I would not attempt to go out in the afternoon. It is BOILING here now. Not sure about this evening, will have to see how the temp is. But he is happy enough in the garden with the swimming pool and lying around.

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice