Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hot weather advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Billo21, May 28, 2020.

1. Billo21

Billo21 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on this from experienced cat owners. Guidance on what you do with your cats in the hot weather.

I have a 2 year old black cat that goes outside and is constantly on the go, she’s not the cat that finds a nice spot in the sun or shade to relax. If you saw my other thread about her bird catching antics it shows you where she’s at!

Our concern is that she doesn’t know when to stop and she rarely drinks water. When she’s back in the house she usually takes herself off to sleep, no complaints. But it could be 2/3 hours later and she’s wanting to get back out.

What are your thoughts? Is it good practice to keep her in during the hotter hours of the day?

many thanks

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Does she have shrubs or trees to find some shadow? If she’s uncomfortable in the heat she‘ll seek out the shadow on her own.
    My Annie is also a very active cat who stays outside for hours every day and night, in heat and frost and rain and snow and hailstorm. She knows where she can shelter and she can come inside whenever she chooses.

3. Billo21

Billo21 PetForums Newbie

There are plenty of places to cool off but cooling off doesn’t seem to be something she wants to do.

4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Then apparently she likes the sun. As long as she has the chance to cool off but doesn’t choose to take it it’s fine.

5. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Cats are pretty good about regulating their own body temperature. So as long as she has access to water and some shade when she needs/wants it then I'd not be overly worried.

6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

If in the middle of summer it gets really hot, people are told not to let their cats out during the hottest part of the day which is around 11.00 - 4.00. Most cats (though yours may not be amongst that category ;)) do find shade when they get too hot. They also get a lot of liquid through their food so cats don't tend to drink water too much, at least that's my experience.

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

If you wish to get your cat to drink more, put a little water, say 5-10mls, in a dish then squeeze a liquid treat such as lick-e-lix over the water.

Or buy the cat soups. They're expensive so try extending it with some water to make it go further

bluecordelia likes this.
  8. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Tuna in spring water and you can add more water to the tuna. It can be addictive so don’t feed it often.
    I add water to wet food. Try not to feed dry as it absorbs fluid in the gut as it’s dry as heck.

I also have the blue gel coil mats and people put ice cubes in water or some cats will play with them .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice