Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hostility towards other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lubbeelou, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Lubbeelou

Lubbeelou PetForums Newbie

Both of my Labs are 3 years old, we took them both to "puppy parties" when they were pups...

Only I regret taking them because there was one pup who was playing but hurting at the same time..Poppy has had no problems since, however Daisy is slightly hostile towards other dogs.

She is much better off the lead mainly because, I think, she can get away from them quickly.

Does anyone know of any way to stop her from doing this or will she be like this for the rest of her life?

#1 Lubbeelou, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Cant advise you but interesting post as I was thinking of taking my pup to puppy party....hmmmm maybe I wont now :(

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

When she begins to display this hostility, what do you do?

4. Lubbeelou

I just usually carry on if there any other dogs...Or try and distract her attention..
    Yesterday we were in the hospital with her and we saw loads of other dogs...
    The worst thing happened and her lead came loose somehow, but she sniffed another dog but did nothing else..

I'm beginning to think that maybe it's when she feels threatened more than anything.

She has never attacked a dog or anything like that, she only snaps at them but I want to stop it before it esculates....Like I said it's not all the time which I find really strange..

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

When a dog is on a lead, you take away their option to flee. Therefore, if they do feel threatened they often feel as though they have to fight. Lots of owners complain that their dogs are better off the lead that on the lead.

If you took her to a park (on her own, without your other dog) and let her off the lead. what would she be like?
    x

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Are these littermates and do you walk them separately (an have done since you got them)?

7. Lubbeelou

Yes they are littermates :) I know that's unusual for a yellow and black Lab...We walk them separately sometimes and together other times...

When I let her off on my own she rarely leaves my side but there's no other dogs around, I always make sure of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice