Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hospitals not nice..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kinjilabs, May 1, 2011.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Places:(

Just been to visit my brother in law.

He's in a ward with three elderly alcoholic men.

Tis horrible, all of them are incontinent and not really with it.

One has complete control of the tv remote, turns tv over turns it up full blast then goes to sleep:rolleyes:

Another one keeps shouting, "Ive left my shotgun out":eek:

And the smell in there, errrrrrr:eek:

Poor brother in law:(

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

They are awful!
    Have just heard recently that a very elderly friend with cancer was refused a bed at local hosp had to be driven to another by a friend as ambulances where busy to another hospital over 50 miles away from her home and origanal local hospital....to die:mad:

3. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

:(

When I had my appendix out last year I got put on the geriatric ward as there wasn't space anywhere else (i was 24!), they did entertain me though the old lady in the bed next to me accused me of stealing her clothes, when I said no they're mine you're wearing yours she said "i know love I wasn't born yesterday!!"
    It broke my heart though some of the inpatients....I'm a vet nurse, I love medical nursing, but no way could I be a human nurse :( although saying that having just come out of hospital last week they seem to do a lot less nursing than us VNs do

I hope your bro in law can go home soon

#3 Doolally, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It is really bad, when my mum had her op for bowel cancer, she was in a lovely ward then they moved her 24hrs after, and it was something like one flew over the cuckoos nest only much worse, it was really unsanitary too, really bad for someone 24hrs post op, no wonder you hear of infections and things so much. When I had my apendix out about 20 odd years ago they used to have special surgical wards, where you couldnt even take in cut flowers because of bacterial infection risk. Now they just put you anywhere.

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

It would be much nicer if the government stopped closing hospitals and sacking staff, added to that the fact we have an ageing population and people really dont want to do such a depressing job and it means things will probably get worse!:(
    I work on a ward that deals alot with alcohol problems, alot of patients with mental health issues and it really is like One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest some days.:D I dont think we get many complaints about treatment or the state of our ward so people must be happy enough. Its the NHS though....so you more or less have to like it or lump it!;)

6. metame

metame PetForums VIP

aw no :(
    hope he gets out soon!

7. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

That sounds awful - hope they let him out soon - sounds like he would be better off home than there!!!

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Given the work loads and what the poor nurses and doctors have to put up with and the hours they have to do, I think they do a wonderful job especially with what they have to do it at times. Yet its always the front line
    that suffers, maybe they should make the cuts with the paper shufflers and management more.

9. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Believe it or not he lives 5 minutes walk away.

Said to him tonight, why not go home and come back tomorrow:D but they wont let him out till his blood is ok:(

10. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Oh your poor brother in law :( Hope he gets better soon :(

When I was in hospital with my broken ankle, they placed me in a bed opposite a lady who kept shouting at me to help her, then shouting abuse at me when I didn't ( I couldn't! Else I would of! ) She complained to the nurses about me bless her! The nurse just said "But Michelle can't help you! The doctor has told her she's not allowed to get out of bed!" Was the only time she went quiet when the nurses threatened her with the Dr :D

Was woken up one night by her screeching! When the nurse went to see, she had chocolates and was telling the nurse to give them to me! :blink: Nurse said! " I can't she's asleep!" Michelle needs her rest, the Dr said so! - Then it goes quiet! :D

11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Tell me about it. In some respects I am lucky. I have 2 local hospitals and the London one, which I frequently visit. Kingsmill is the closest and 40% of the beds are in private rooms with your own bathroom. Its pretty much like a travellodge rather than a hospital, except the food is yukky. I go to this when when I'm not too bad. The other local one is on a massive ward, heavily understaffed (I mean, 1 member of staff to 12 patients 90% of whom are totally dependent, post surgical and bed bound) but luckily when I go here, I am so poorly (its the spinal unit) that I am off my face on painkillers and completely unaware of most things anyway.

The other one is the london one.... and what more can I say about that.... http://www.petforums.co.uk/general-chat/153313-interesting-night-hospital.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice