Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Horses

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Aug 8, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

What do you do with your dog when you meet a horse on your walk?
    I have met so many horse riders that are amazed that I get Alfie to sit while they pass.

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

We rarely meet a horse, usualy ones in a field and Dixie loves them :)
    But I will get them to sit and wait until the horse passes.

x

3. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

I ride a lot and the dogs come with me, they have always been brought up around horses and are fine :D

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ours always come,sit one either side until they pass

5. borderer

borderer Guest

my dogs are used to horses but if they are running loose i will put them on lead till they pass:D

6. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I call Selma to have her lead on, just in case. Then she sits and waits.

However, Patty is a nightmare with horses, we think she may have been kicked in the head by a horse as a young 'un as she despises them and has broken teeth on one side. Even though she never goes off the lead, she can still be a real concern around horses because she screams and lunges towards them and shakes from head to toe for hours afterwards. I usually take her as far away as possible if I see a horse coming.

7. rona

rona Guest

Alfie would get under their feet, he always thinks everything and everybody should make way for him :)

8. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i put mine on lead, make them sit and wait till they pass. Unfortunaly horses dont seem to like maya and even though she sits nicely a horse last time tried to go straight to her despite the guy trying his best to get the horse away from her lol ....

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

The pup's mum was terrible.. We saw horses often, in a field, and all she did was strain toward them making that weirt whining howl noise that staffs make.
    We met a horse out once, and I had to get her to sit facing the opposite way and pin her head between my legs, she still managed to wriggle her way round, luckily this was an experianced horse and took no notice but the ones in the field usually wheeled away and ran off bucking. Probably hated the noise as much as I do! lol

My neighbour here actually asked me to walk the dogs my Shannon's field as the yard she was kept at didn't have dogs and she wanted her to get used to calm ones first.

x

10. rona

rona Guest

Does she stare at the horses? We were being passed by some young racehorses one day and they were very nervous of the dogs, so we made the dogs sit with their backs to the horses and it seemed to calm them down

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

There are no horses where I live Rona but if there were I would do the same as you :) Keep them calm and under control

12. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I get the dogs down to lie down, as the horse ees them calm and relaxed, not alert and intent. This way they don't see them as predators. Bess is fascinated by them and Chester would chase 'em
    The gundogs would do nothing :)

13. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i didnt pay attention to that...she just sat there i guess looking at them passing by. I just had slowly a big horse face coming closer and closer at me and tried to stay calm myself lol
    But i will know to check if she stares at them next time... interesting :)

No incidents with cobi but and i know for sure that he is looking at them but they dont seem to bother with him lol

We have alot of racehorses here ...are they more wary of dogs than usuall horses?

14. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I'm no expert, but I think racehorses are higher strung. My parents live next door to a huge racehorse stud farm and I avoid those fields like the plague once the horses are turned out in the spring. Scary stuff!

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah racehorses are quite high strung.
    My friend homed one that had damaged its leg and could no longer race and it took an age to calm him down. Had to keep him seperate from most her other horses because he upset them! he was realy flighty when it came to meeting other animals.

x

16. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I meet lots of dog walkers when I'm out riding and almost all of them keep their dogs under control. Most dogs will just look though some look as if they would like to chase the horse. The two horses I ride belong to my local stables and they are both very well behaved with dogs, generally ignoring them. There is a Jack Russel at the stable yard so they are used to having a dog around them.

17. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

we live not far from a racehorse stud farm too and we made that mistake walking through the field while the horses were out :blushing: ....it was scary :eek:

18. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Ha, the first time Scooter saw a horse he nearly choked himself by pretty much throwing himself at the end of his lead to get the poor creature! No nasty barks or growls, just a nutty puppy moment.

These days he totally ignored them, mostly thanks to the local yard which lets you bring dogs up on a lead ;)

19. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

we get a lot of horse riders around here, my 2 just have a bit of a look but just ignore them. I always call them to me incase they spook the horses.

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am the one out with the horse :) Most people sit their dogs beside them or hang on to the lead for dear life with untrained dogs. If you let your dogs go at a horse you are likely to cause a serious accident either to the horse, the rider or your dog.
    Racehorses are usually fully stabled and very very fit so they tend to be more on their toes, and often very young too. But on the other hand they have to get used to far more than an average riding horse so are usually very good around traffic and people and dogs etc. An ex race horse might be lively to ride but is normally very safe and usually has very good manners in the stable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice