Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Horrified at animal testing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mummyschnauzer, Oct 11, 2013.

1. mummyschnauzer

mummyschnauzer PetForums Senior

I had some leaflets come through the post this morning and was horrified that some of the charities I give gifts to and support, conduct or fund animal experimentation, and the subsequent pictures of animals many dogs and cats, monkey mice etc., in various stages of experimentation nearly broke my heart especially the sad brown eyes of the beadle with wires coming out of an open wound on his head. :(

Upon further investigation (googling information) I now have a very long list of the charities who do conduct or fund these horrific acts, suffering to animals, how can they do this? I for one, will be boycotting all these charities that do this and I will be e-mailing them to tell them so. :mad::

2. Dimwit

Dimwit PetForums VIP

Or you could take time to find out what kind of animal research these charities are funding, and the purpose rather than just blindly believing some anti-vivisection propoganda...

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Exactly. Very well said

4. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

Feel like I should link to the regulations governing the use of animals in laboratories...:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/14/pdfs/ukpga_19860014_en.pdf

Pages 6 and 7 are fairly interesting - it states what terms are required for a person to be licensed to perform animal research, including having to show that no alternative (non-animal) methods can be used.

This is also pretty interesting: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212610/spanimals12.pdf

It's the statistical breakdown of animal research performed in 2012.

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Completely agree!

OP - maybe you should look at what tests are being carried out & how many people are benefiting from the research conducted :)

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

There are sadly tests that can be done no other way and labs are working towards it being done on tissue samples or models not living creatures. The vivisection leaflets are anti-testing propaganda and therefore not the most reliable.

7. mummyschnauzer

mummyschnauzer PetForums Senior

Please don't be patronising and shoot me down in flames, I am not stupid, nor am I easily blinded, and there were no names mentioned of the Charities involved.

These leaflets were from a reputable organization , which also has a app you can download, with information about the different charities who support and finance this, I felt they were posting the information to make people aware of the charities who do support animal expderimentation.

The list also includes the charities who don't and thankfully these outweigh the ones that do.

Finally you as an individual can believe what you want to believe that is your perogative, but that doesn't give you the right to patronise me.

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Blimey, someone answers your thread in a polite manner & you feel it patronising :confused:

9. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

In this day and age it's so hard to live without contributing to harming animals in one way or another.

10. Dimwit

Dimwit PetForums VIP

They may be a reputable organisation, but the fact remains that they are cleary anti-vivisection and have chosen very emotive images, which are in no way typical of animal experimentation, to promote their cause.

If I am going to support a charity relating to any disease then I would expect them to fund research into the disease in question which means animal testing.

11. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Oh good - we haven't had this argument for a while.

As I say in every thread if you are interested in developing non-invasive testing methods then contribute to charities like The Dr Hadwen Trust or Safer Medicines. You can also campaign against the EU regulations that means non-medical products such as cleaning products have to be tested on animals.

Currently we cannot model full systemic interaction and unfortunately that means we need to use animal models at early stages. Having been involved in a research project that used mice and rats I can confirm that there are an awful lot of regulations concerning the use of animals and making sure that they are used in the correct manner. Personally I am more concerned at the standards in the facilities that breed animals for research - I would much rather see those as a target.

Also - something that is never answered in these threads - how do you think they develop veterinary medicines?

Cleo38 likes this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I worked with animals that were used for testing veterinary medicines. As you can imagine the animals were well looked after and much loved. I was in the anaesthetic department and many dogs, cats and rabbits lost their lives so that your pets can have safe surgery. No suffering though, the law was that they could only be used for one experiment so they got a cuddle, an anaesthetic and they did not wake up again. The ponies were on one 'long term' experiment unless they would have suffered when they woke up. They had a great life with a few weeks of weekly anaesthetics then a few weeks out in a field. On the odd occasion that a pony was used for a terminal experiment the whole department was in mourning.

13. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Thank you for that Blitz - it's always good to hear from someone who has first hand experience.

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Excellent point!

15. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I have a close friend who works for a company who breed mice with specific genetic make ups in order to be used for testing for medicinal purposes. (I believe it illegal to test for anything other than medical reasons in the Uk anyway -I think).

She is currently providing the animals for a company who are working on a condition which is extremely close to her heart as her mum suffers from the condition.

The sad thing is she is scared to tell people where she works or who she works for or what they are working towards due to the stigma associated with the industry.

This I find really sad.

From what I have learnt it is quite frankly fascinating and the animals which she cares genuinely get all the care which they would in a 'home' if not more! they have stimulating environments and are handled / examined daily and recieve any vet care needed and pts in a humane way.

In terms of for medical research its all to easy to pop a pill and not think where it has come from.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice