Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Horrific sight!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 2, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I am just back from town (the one I don't usually go to) and popped into the little pet shop for the 1st time (I'm usually only in this town on a wed when pet shops closed).
    Anyway my son pointed out a dog sleeping on the floor I recognized straight away to be a newfoundland.
    He sat up to say hello to me and I asked how old he was, 6 months, though he looked a little small for his age.
    Then walked through the back of the shop. I say walked, but he barely could :( He had like no muscle in his back legs they were really skinny and his hips swung so bad when he walked.

I couldn't bring myself to ask what was wrong with him though. Would this be HD that was doing this to him? Why were his back legs so skinny at the top?

x

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Hip dysplasia could cause the swinging no idea about muscle wastage though.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

They make such ridiculously cute puppies. Could it be from a puppy farm and been locked in a crate or something to cause the muscle wastage?

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Maybe, I didn't think of that.
    x

6. Wouldn't have thought hip displacia myself! There was a goldie suffering terribly at MTs once that sounds very much like you describe! The legs/hips were deformed and the poor dog could not even stand! he used to move around like a seal! I cannot remember his name by have a feeling it could have been Malarky!!! The problem has been corrected by surgery!!! happy ending for once!!
    lol
    DT

7. The dog I was refering to at MT's was in fact called Tamba! and NOT Malary as stated!!! BUT! I canot find his story! If anyone else can it makes great happy reading!
    lol
    DT

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh I hope the newfie can be helped then. I have seen a gsd with HD and his back end rocked a little when he walked but the newfies hips were worse than that.

x

9. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Is this the one?

YouTube - Tamba

1 person likes this.
  10. Yep Janice! that is the one!:) thanks"
    DT

11. I remember when Tamba was first brought in! Such a heartbreaking story with such a wonderful ending!

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh look at him :( Still wagging his tail though. What a brave dog!
    I had to watch the other videos of him so glad he looked much better when he was ready for a home!

x

13. malfollie

malfollie PetForums Newbie

The muscle wastage could be from anything if they have a problem with the legs if they are not using them properly. My dog had legg perthes anyway she has bad muscle wastage on that leg even though she has had the op now cos she still does not have full function so I would imagine even if it was HD if the dog is not using the legs properly that would cause the muscle wastage??
    Dunno not a vet like lol!!

Malfollie
    xx

14. Somewhere there is a video of him visiting them at christmas.... its such a transformation! will try to find it for you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice