Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Horrible!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maggi, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Maggi

Maggi PetForums Member

Around our estate there's a long-established and thriving fox poulation, loved by almost everyone.
    They cause us no trouble, leave no mess and most of delight in seeing trhese beautiful wild creatures, sleeping, basking in the sun and playing in our back gardens.

Many of us put out food for them.

A couple of weeks ago, a man on an adjacent avenue, was distressed to find one of the yearlings dead on his lawn.
    There wasn't a mark on it to indicate that it had been hit by a car and managed to stagger into his garden before succumbing to its injuries, so he called a friend who is an RSPCA inspector to view the body.

He thought it likely that the animal had been poisened and took the body away to be examined by a vet.

The result was conclusive: heavy traces of an arsenic-based poison were found.

What kind of person DOES that.....?

Okay, not EVERYONE likes the foxes, but to lay poison without considering that it may have been taken by someone's PET is beyond reprehensible.

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

It might not have been intended for the foxes. Someone nearby could have a rat infestation or something and the fox took it? People aren't ALL bad but it is a bit inconsiderate as someones pet could have taken it.

RIP poor foxy :(

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. Maggi

Maggi PetForums Member

It MAY have been intended for rats, but that's unlikely. There haven't been rats around this area in many years.
    In any case there are specially designed traps in which poison can be placed, cannot be accessed by any animal larger than a rat and which close once the rat is inside, thereby containing the corpse for easy disposal.
    To lay poison where it's accessible to ANY animal is the height of irresponsibilty.

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I don't like foxes,or the damage they do.

It may have been secondry poisoning,or perhaps someone did leave poison out for it,after it may have taken one of there animals.Foxes travel many miles so it may not have even been poisoned in your area.

5. Maggi

Maggi PetForums Member

What damage would THAT be, sallyanne?
    No-one around this area has suffered any damage to property or anything else caused by foxes.

As to foxes taking animals, that simply doesn't happen in an urban area like ours.

I've witnessesd many a stand-off between a fox and a cat - and the fox has ALWAYS backed down..

6. borderer

borderer Guest

i will shoot a fox onsight but i would never put poison down it may kill someones pet i would like to get hold of the person who did this:cursing::mad:

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

People around here have had rabbits etc killed and taken by foxes,our dog chased after one a couple of weeks ago,not sure what he would have done though if he had caught it.

Bord,I agree,we don't do the poisoning either but they did predict this happening when the hunting ban was brought in.

8. claire

claire Guest

i agree with sal, we are in a town center but have chickens that would be a prime target for foxes.

A neighbour has had a few guinepigs killed not to long bk

9. borderer

borderer Guest

people need to protect there stock cant hunt them with dogs so some people will use poison:eek:hmy:

10. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

That's awful! Poor little fox. Some people are so heartless :(

11. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Oh my god thats a bit harsh!

12. borderer

borderer Guest

nothing harsh about shooting a fox when they have killed all you stock they kill for fun:cursing:

13. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

People can say the same about cats can't they? How many times will a cat kill something & eat it? Most of the time they either play with their prey or take it home as a present. Personally, I believe in the hunt ban & find it barbaric to hunt with dogs. Likewise, to lay poison down irresponsibly when any animal (or possibly a child) can get to it is abhorrent. :mad:

14. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I couldn't agree more with you.

15. borderer

borderer Guest

i dont like poison i agree. but cats are nothing like foxes a fox will kill a large goose a cat only kills small things a fox is a born killer :confused:

16. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Err - isn't that because a fox is bigger than a cat :confused: Cats are born hunters. We domesticate them & some try to prevent them hunting, but it is their natural instinct. Keeping this on track, foxes have been poisoned & it's a terrible, cruel thing to do that could also cause harm to others pets, or worse.

17. borderer

borderer Guest

we have agreed that:smilewinkgrin::eek:hmy::rolleyes:

18. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

Thats what bugs me about foxes, its not like they kill because they are starving hungry, they kill just for the hell of it. I have seen what they have done to a rabbit then left it outside our house so all the kids in the street could see the devastation too!

I don't agree with fox hunting as a sport but I do feel they should be culled humanely if they are taking livestock on a regular basis.

I think the person who poisoned it was very naive and stupid putting poison down. It could have been someones cat or dog that got hold of it!

Izzie

19. _Lesley_

_Lesley_ PetForums Member

I totally disagree with poisoning foxes but we are over run with them where I live - so much so that they quite happily appear in the early evening and play on the green area next to my house WHILST the children are still playing there.

My neighbour rescues birds of prey and I don't think there has been a month gone by where foxes haven't tried to break into his bird enclosures and take the chicks. I've also seen a fox take a small cat/kitten and run away with it - the screams that cat made will stay with me a long time :(

In a sense I agree with keeping the fox population under control as they are happy to become urbanised and this causes conflict. This has become more of an issue since the hunting ban - I can see that round here as the fox population is now unchecked and appears to have exploded.

Shooting cleanly is a quicker and kinder way than poisoning or hunting with dogs.

20. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

people on here have had whole coops of chickens killed and left in one night,also foals have been killed,i would guess the poison was meant for rats(they are everywhere and would definatly be in your area,or someone has had enough of the foxes.Im surprised that the council havent sorted it out yet by sending in pest control! my son as we speak is fox hunting,due to losing several young ducks and pheasants

Badger's Mum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice