Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Horrible morning:(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, May 10, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Nothing went right. Bella's ear was botehring her so I thought we'd go to the vet this morning. So we got into the car to go for a nice walka nd then drive onto to the vet. We did a half hour off lead walk, Bella perfectly behaved (and I take this for granted which I shouldnt). Jsut as I was about to get into the car, I saw Bella was lagging behind a little and before I knew it she was rolling. I know this meant poo or dead animal...it was dead animal, marvellous! SO instead of goingt o the vet I drove her home (my car still stinks) and bathed her. I noticed when I dried her that her left paw eas very swollen, and remembered I had seen a small wound underneath it on Saturday, so I was almost sure at this point that she had a grass seed stuck in her paw.

Anyway, i dried her off and headed to the vet, now for 2 reasons; not just her ear.
    She has ear mites and a mild infection in her left ear. Her right ear had a sproblem a few weeks ago, whcihc cleared up, but we are now putting drops in both ears to prevent the right ear getting mites too.

The paw was then examined and she undoubtedly has a grass seed stuck in it. (we have some evil ones here, they are like fish hooks which only go in on direction and they won't come out of where they can in from). But her paw is really swollen andthe vet cant know exactly where the grass seed i at this point, and doesnt want to anaesthetise her and cut her paw open to get it out, a) to avoid the AG, and b) because he is not sure how long the cut will have to be as he is not sure where the grass seed is, and this would not show up on a x-ray.
    So, she is on antibiotics and he expects that in a few days itw ill be more obvious where the grass seed so it can be removed in the least invasive way...BUT he is going abroad for a few days to attend some conferences...and even though his colleague will be at the surgery, I prefer him....
    So i am torn between waiting and hoping the paw can last until next MOnday when our vet is back...or just asking him to do the GA and cut it open, find the seed and stitch her up. Of course if I decide to wait ot out like the vet suggested I will go to his colleague if I see that Bella can't wait until MOnday...

What do you think I should do?

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I would be tempted to wait, on the basis that at least with antibiotics, hopefully the grass seed can't do too much damage, and if she does get a bit sore, his colleague could give you some pain meds or anti inflamatories maybe? I suppose it depends how much chance there is of the seed's location becoming more obvious, if your vet thinks to leave it a few days I would probably side more on that view, just because he sounds like he's been really good to you and Bella before! Plus his colleague is there to help if anything does happen, but if you want it fixed up now then you could do that too, its whatever you feel is best for Bella :)

Rupert's ears are a bit hairier than I'd like near his ear canal and the thornit is the only thing which gets rid of the mites. If Bella's prove to be a pain then I could get hold of some thornit for you and post it over, would have to get it online though so may take about a week for me to get it and then to post it on, but if you ever want any give me a shout and I will try to get some if the sites which sell it wont post to where you are :)

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thank you, that is extremely sweet of you to offer:). If the problems continue I will consider gettings ome thornit.

About the paw. Our vet does feel strongly that within a few days it will be more obvious where the seed is, so we can get it out causing as little damage as possible. I think you are right, and that waiting is the best option.

Bella is very miserable right now. She is sulking big time, her ear is drooped (which is strange as this didn't react this way a few weeks ago when her other ear had a problem and she is on exactly the same treatment). She had injectable antibiotc as when she was spayed and was taking antibiotics orally she had a bad case of the runs.

If Bella doesn't perk up at all byt this afternoon I'll go back to the vets. She is just lying down, no tail wagging, no reaction to me throwing her toys:(... her paw must be very painful though because it looks so sore.

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Poor little woofer! Maybe the vet give her some pain killers or anti inflamatories later if you go, that might help her perk up a little bit.

At least if the other vet is his colleague, hopefully they might be a little similar in the way they practice and Bella would still be in good hands. They sound like a really good vets, many would just want to get the seed out right away and not give it chance to be more noticeable, I know a few like that unfortunately. She will be on the mend in no time, seems like she's been hit by lots of things at once, poor little dog!!

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I've been to 6 different vet surgeries until I found this one, and I wouldn't swap for the world. They always put the animal's best interest first, always explain everything to me - show me the x-rays, bloodwork etc, or explain what drug they are giving and what effect they want from it. Bella is always treated very well there.

He is a bit of a special vet to me, because when my Nelson was ill and everyone gave him no more than amonth or 2, Nelson lived for almost a year, thanks to this vet. 10 of these months were excellent and he had a great quality of life. The last few weeks were tough and we kept deciding and undeciding to let him go, but whe his time came we knew it, and our vet helped him go to sleep in the gentlest, kindest, most respectful way.

ANyway, back to Bella...she is in a deep sleep right now, so I wil see what state she is in when she wakes up, and if I don't like how she is we'll go back.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Just not our day today.

Bella was sulking all day, so I thought the dog park migth cheer her up. Well it did, but not me. One of her best friends were there and at first they were just running around, but then they were rolling around, and bella si always the oen underneath. I am normally really really chilled about this, but she had just had 2 baths - the planned one least night, and the one this morning after the rolling in dead animal.

ANyway, onto importnat things. Her paw is not causing her half as much pain as I would expect, but it doesn't look good. She is covered by antibiotics, but I will be going abck to the vet tomrrow. Not sure what more the poor man can do about it, as he has advised we wait a few days to see where the grass seed will surface, so that it can be removed without GA and without making too big an incision.

Her ear doesn't seem to be bothering her either, which is good as she kept shaking her head when we got back from the vets.

The little girl is outisde happily munching on a marrow bone, very much unaware of all the worry she is causing me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice