Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Horrible birthday walk. Izzy got kicked.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PawsOnMe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

This is an old thread, happened earlier in the year and everything is now sorted and Izzy is fine.

Jasper has turned 5 today so we tried to go on another walk to play with his new toy and Izzy was finding blackberries with me.

It's an area that we go down to a lot and both dogs stay close by us and you can see quite clearly in most directions (Except a sudden corner where this man came from).

The man suddenly appeared with his caveliar and before I could call Izzy back she ran over wagging her tail. Now I'm normally more vigilant but I was throwing Jasper's toy and and her running up was completely my fault. It's the first time it's happened and I did call out that dreaded "she's friendly" as I ran over to get her. Before I could reach her the man booted her 3 times in quick succession and one big kick that had her flying through the air about 5 feet and slamming into a wall. She was yelping and whimpering and came running straight back to me.

He gave me so much abuse and all I could do was cuddle Izzy and apologise. He's seen us before (the dog is always on lead when its with him) and knows we always leash up both dogs. He mentioned the police and where he lives and kept swearing at me. I'm still in tears now, Izzy is very subdued and keeps licking her lips but she's moving around okay.

The man only lives around the corner from me and he's really rough so I'm a bit frightened to go out with the dogs in case he comes out too which is silly but I'd rather someone kick me than kick my dogs.

How can someone hurt an obviously friendly dog. He was choking his own dog by lifting it up by the lead and collar and his dog was making some awful choking noises. So this won't have done his dog any favours as its a friendly submissive dog.

I've seen the dog with his wife and she let's it off and Izzy has played with it before. so all I can think is that he saw Izzy, saw she was a terrier and assumed she was aggressive and decided to protect his dog by hurting Izzy.

Gah I can't stop crying. Sorry for this rambly post.

#1 PawsOnMe, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would report him to the police, that is totally out of order. Not only did he hurt your dog he scared and swore at you.

3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

He's not protecting his dog, he's just behaving like a complete dick! In situations like that, a good owner puts their dog behind them and blocks the other dog. They don't strangle one and boot the other.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Oh, that sounds awful. Agree with @Blitz; that is completely unacceptable.

LinznMilly, Calvine and PawsOnMe like this.
  5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

That's terrible. I agree with @Blitz report him to the police.

*Offers hugs*

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Agree with this, that was not a normal reaction by any stretch and your dog was no doubt injured, as anyone would be being kicked multiple times!

Report to the police........

7. Tacey

Tacey PetForums Senior

That's awful! What a horrible man!! Poor you and Izzy - I hope she's Ok.

I would definitely report him!

Calvine and PawsOnMe like this.
  8. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

I had a similar situation where Micheie was kicked by a man because she was trying trying to play with his German Shepherd puppy. By the time I'd checked Micheie over, the man had legged it. Very bad experience for her.

I hope Izzy is OK? That man needs to be reported.

9. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I'm just filling out an online incident report online now.

Until this thread I was thinking I was in the wrong. I was the dreaded owner with the over friendly dog but it really was just a horrid situation that I never thought I'd be in. Izzy is honestly the sweetest dog ever, she's so good at reading other dog's body language and has never had a bad experience with other dogs or people. This is the 1st time she's run over to an on lead dog, I am so careful making sure to have mine under control after having been on the opposite end with Taz who was fear aggressive.

Calvine and JoanneF like this.
  10. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Things can happen. I had a dog run over to Ty the other day. I made Ty wait, and told the other dog BACK! He stopped and looked at me so I stamped my foot and he went back to his owner. The guy who kicked your pup totally overreacted to the situation. One kick is bad enough but to keep kicking? You should definitely report it cos he sounds like his temper isn't under control.

LinznMilly and PawsOnMe like this.
  11. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

So sorry to hear this, I am glad you have reported it and I'd also get Izzy checked out by the vet just to be safe x Gentle hugs to you both x

LinznMilly, lorilu and PawsOnMe like this.
  12. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry that's Horrendous! The man should be reported to the dog warden and the RSPCA. :Rage:Punch

I hope you and Izzy are feeling better soon, what an awful thing to happen.

13. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Well technically yes your dog ran up which was wrong, but what followed from him wasn't a normal reaction. I don't like it when off lead dogs run up to my on lead dogs but I'd never kick viciously like that and I find it disturbing that would be anyone's immediate instinct. I'd only do that as a last resort and/or the dog was aggressive.....thus so far that hasn't happened.

Everyone loses a dog occasionally, no one is perfect!

Calvine, Sarah1983, Maxine67 and 6 others like this.
  14. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:mad: I'm so sorry that happened . That man was way over the top . he could be angry at something else and directed it at you and Izzy.

LinznMilly, Calvine and PawsOnMe like this.
  15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Where did this happen?

Were you on the canal towpath?

16. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Railway Terrace, at the other end of the White path. Don't think he'll come up your end but he's a bald man in his 40s with a Cav, just in case.

This area is getting really messed up lately anyway so doubt the police will do anything but at least it'll be logged just in case anything else happens from him.

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Was the Cavalier tri-colour?

18. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

no, a brown and white.

19. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

There was no reason for him to act the way he did-it wasn't in self defence nor was Izzy attacking his dog. Yes, technically your dog shouldn't have approached his, but his reaction was uncalled for. I think you have done the right thing by filling in an online incident form. Hopefully the appropriate action will be taken out.

LinznMilly, Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Okay.

I hope Izzy is okay. These terriers tend to be resilient.

Nobody has the right to kick your dog.

Unfortunately, I doubt the Police will do much but I may run into him. :)

LinznMilly, Stanzano and Kimmikins like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice