Hoping To Start A Dog Grooming Business

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by JamesHAllan, Jul 9, 2017.

1. JamesHAllan

JamesHAllan PetForums Newbie

Hi All
    First post here. Seems like a really good forum. Well done to you all.

I have been researching the possibility of starting a dog grooming salon/chain.

I have been in business all my life, so have a strong grasp on systems,overheads, cashflow etc. I am something of an SEO/Digital marketing whizz which will be helpful.

I am successful in the construction business up here in Edinburgh, Scotland.

So why dog grooming? I adore dogs and have had at least one all of my life. Right now I have a gorgeous long haired Akita, Wolfy. What sparked my interest in grooming as a business was the waiting times in all the nearby salons to get a simple bath and brush for Wolfy. Every business I spoke to had 5 to 6 weeks waiting time. My interest being piqued, I then started to think they maybe didnt fancy the breed, as he's a big lad. To check my theory, I started calling the same businesses again stating all sorts of different dog breeds, only to get the same reply..We are chock-a-block busy. As a serial entrepreneur it has got me thinking.

Not being immersed in this business as most of you are, I would very much like to know what you think a well advertised salon with excellent equipment and funding could hope to turn over, and what volume of dogs could a salon cater for in a day.

I have been experimenting with some figures and I dont know if these are over optimistic or not, again please let me know your thoughts on these figures.

I was thinking that we could average 8 dogs per day, 6 days per with an experienced groomer and a semi skilled assistant/bather. Average spend I hope around £35.00 giving weekly turnover of around £1700.00 per week. Is this reasonable?

I am thinking a groomer will cost me £20k and a semi-skilled helper around £16k. Is that about right?

As stated, investment will be made on quality HV dryers, electric tables, high end clippers etc

Can I ask your anticipated ongoing costs for supplies such as shampoos, conditioners etc.

I have costed out the cost of renting the shop and associated expenses, and they're OK

Any input would be very much appreciated.
    James

2. JamesHAllan

JamesHAllan PetForums Newbie

Anybody please?
    James

3. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

Ongoing costs would include blade and scissor sharpening (every 3-6 months depending on how you care for them and how much they're used), cologne, broad spectrum cleaners (virkon, anigene etc), grooming insurance (not compulsory but normal public liability insurance doesn't cover the dogs, look at cliverton or pet business insurance), pet first aid courses, blade cleaner and oils, equipment replacement (ie chalk, broken blades, broken nooses), towel laundry...

I think that cover everything grooming specific.

A skill Groomer with an experienced assistant should be able to groom 8 dogs per day (9-5 including short breaks) without being so busy the dogs are stressed. Any more than that and the quality of grooms would likely be compromised and definitely the dog's relaxed state. Old school Groomers would have five dogs in at 9 and send them all out at lunch time as you could groom more time effectively by allowing them to dry naturally or in a cabinet but the dog's anxieties start to rise and if a Groomer is also with more than two dogs it becomes a problem if they should need to rush to the vet in an emergency. And things like toilet breaks for the dogs and the groomer having to leave the dogs for toilet breaks start to pose problems. One in one out is best in my opinion.

4. Onya McWoogie

Onya McWoogie PetForums Newbie

5. Sammyez

Sammyez PetForums Member

Seems like you've got a handle on most the costs. The key is the overhead? Some groomers operate from low cost based premises such as garden chalets or garages whilst others use out buildings. A high street salon near me recently closed despite having a good turnover (the overheads were too high) and she's now created a purpose built outhouse in her garden that now serves her well.

6. Anna Barton

Anna Barton PetForums Newbie

Dog grooming business is a profitable option for those who are looking to start a business in the animal service industry. But to start a dog grooming business, you must have the necessary skills, either by completing a formal grooming program or by getting training from a professional dog groomer. Apart from this, you must have knowledge about dog clippers and other grooming equipment.

The steps involved in starting a dog grooming business is making your business a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, or corporation. There are tax and liability considerations for each type of business entity, so it is wise to consult with an accountant or attorney to evaluate which options will best suit a grooming business. The second thing you have to consider is the place where you’re going to operate your business. You can opt for renting a storefront from a commercial real estate company or convert a building on their property to accommodate grooming activities.