Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hopefully rehoming some ratties

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Tapir, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

after advice from spoiled-rat and lisa I have decided against buying babies and rehoming instead! I have to have a home check first, but hopefully I will be owner of 4 beautiful black hooded boys! I am getting a Furet Tower, blocking it off (any tips welcome!) and having my group of girls in the top and the boys in the bottom.

There are two top ear and two hat ear - to be named Tobias, Roquefort, Nikko and Luca :D

Pics from LeighAnne at Rodent Refuge
    [​IMG]

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Oooh gorgous boys, cant wait to see a ratty picture shoot with them as the stars.

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

they all look like our passed-on Rolly :D much cuteness!

good luck with them :D i'm very jealous.

4. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

what stunning squishes.
    fingers crossed for you.

5. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

thank you everyone...i so hope that I pass the home check! they are so gorgeous. two are really cuddly and 2 are a bit fussy but thats fine... i have 5 does so i can handle fussy :p

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll be fine, we had a homecheck for the 2 boys we adopted & they have settled in so well & good on you for choosing to rescue:thumbup:

7. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I think this is fantastic for your new critters.... Good luck on your home check...

8. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

aww thank you hun.

Right I'm stressing about it, i want the cage to be perfect. I have ordered some ecobed, i have got biocatlet for the litter tray. Right I will make them a hammock, and buy them an igloo. I use kitchen tissue for bedding, will this be okay? Does anyone know how to block off the Tower into two parts?

Also, I have heard that the Pets at Home food isn't very good...is this true or should i change it?
    The girls get a mix of nuggets and dry pasta daily, plus veggies, monkey nuts, bread, cooked meats and a yoghurt drop before bed :eek:

will this diet be okay?

i also free range them in the bath room (as the rest of the house is laminate/carpet, and this is a delicacy for the girls' finely tuned pallate :rolleyes: )

LeighAnne said it is fine that they are shed rats, as it is good for them to get fresh air so that is okay :thumbup:

9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds good, we had the cage set up & ready for them as they wanted to see the set up

Sorry hun I don't, try looking around online, someone's bound to have done it!

Everyone has different ideas about feeding, I give mine a homemade shunamite type mix, go easy on monkey nuts though as they are very high in fat!

Again, different people free range in different ways, I have mine on the bed, in the bathroom, on the table & on the sofa, but one day I hope to be able to build them a massive Correx playpen :)
    They will ask you questions about you & your ratty experience, when you think its necessary to take your rats to the vet & that you will not be breeding from them & you will probably have to sign a contract as well

10. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

thank you for all your help...

okay, rats and vets, i would answer:
    Wheezy/crackly etc respiratory infection
    lumps - possible cancer...and a some can continue growing until the rat cant even move!
    excess porphryn around eyes/nose
    cuts/bites/bleeding
    lethargy/weightloss
    blood in urine/poop

just a few as i am sure the list is endless!

i certainly wont be breeding...i wouldnt have a clue :eek6:

ohh i will look into a new diet. and RE the monkey nuts, they get about one each a week or fortnight.

11. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:)hi welldone:thumbup: for choosing to rescue i really hope everything gose well with the home visit. I cant see why it shouldnt you have a decent sized cage and sound like you know what you are doing so please dont stress and just look forward to hopfully owning a georgious group of ratties they look very cute and cuddly have you tried fancy rats for ideas on splitting the cage i know its not the best forum but you could just have a look and see if anybody has ideas on splitting the cage well anyway good luck hope all gose well and if you get them looking forward to pics :thumbup::)

12. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

awww thank you very much. I will ask on fancy rats :)

13. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

Yay - well done you! If LeighAnne is the same LeighAnne I know, she's lovely and her rats will be well cared for :)

Have you already bought the cage? If not - I'd consider something like the Explorer rather than the Furet Tower. The Furet Tower is huge, awkward to access, and the plastic bases could mean the girls chew through and end up pregnant. Girls are often quite chewy, especially in season girls! :lol:

Scroll down to the Explorer here:
    Pet World Direct Rat Chinchilla and Other Cages

Trays aren't very deep but some people use fleece on them, others order metal trays made to order (expensive), and some just use huge litter trays (cat litter trays work well, but also storage tubs too).

14. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

LeighAnne of Rodent Refuge :)

I did look at the explorer... still a bit undecided.

how many rats does the explorer house?
    are the shelves wire?
    how could i block the two layers? also I was concerned as my girls love climbing and the bars are vertical (i think thats right - up and down as opposed to side ways)

15. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

i have been reading reviews of the explorer on fancy rats and have decided to get that instead.

16. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The explorer is a fantastic cage hun, your ratties will love it, Ive got an extended one with the deep metal trays and I use fleece. The floors are plastic over metal bars so very comfy for ratty feet. You can seperate the two halves if you need to, I think people use the ladder that comes with it to seperate it but Im not sure how.

17. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:thumbup: good decision this is my dream cage iam trying to save for an explorer at the minute and from what ive herd they pretty easy to split dont know how but loads of people do this good luck cant wait for pics :)

18. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

for shed rats be very careful about heat/cold. if you leave them in over winter make sure they have a house and lots of bedding (just bedding doesn't keep the warmth in. If you can keep the door open in summer for the breeze, gets very VERY hot in sheds we have reached 35c (only 20 outside) in ours. we had to take the rats back into the house as we aren't around during the day and our bikes are in there so couldn't leave it open. wouldn't worry about cats too much they'll soon be bitten on the nose.

pah nugs and muesli is loved by my rats, you can always supplement with veggies and fruit cuts offs/left overs
    check out the below for what you should avoid and be careful with:
    Rats and a healthy diet - Critter City

as for the two parts of the tower, you can usually buy a blank for holes but failing this, depending on what sort of cage you have, put the holed section on the floor and the non-holed section in the middle, put a food bowl under the hole on the floor (the brown ceramic rabbit ones from pets at home (the ones saying 'rabbit' on the side fit the futret tower perfectly for example) if that makes sense.
    or if you find a 'lipped' dish big/small enough recess it in the hole.
    or screw two metal plates together over the holes, easy to remove later on (if screwed in the middleof the plate rather than through the cage).

play time for mine is usually on the landing (with a 3ft plybrd over the stairs and a 2 foot one over their room door (i close the door so they can leap up the side of the board and hide in the space between that and the door, hours of amusement apparently). i also let them play occasionally in the bathroom, but i have to plug hoes first so don't do it very often, they get baths/fishing occasionally too :D

good luck :D

19. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

thank you. they come in the house in winter and the shed has two doors are each end which are open all day.

there are no plugs in our bathroom, and no bath, so i just put the plug in the shower cubical and let them go!

20. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

That diet site is a bit off. You can feed rats rabbit food, in fact it's better than most rat mixes. Most breeders make their own food that way, and if you read the Scuttling Gourmet (book by Alison Campbell of Shunamite Rats) there is much better nutritional advice in there.

You can go all out and make your own diet from scratch, but even rabbit food on it's own is fine for rats - although most of us prefer to add some dog food and cereals/crackers to give them more variety.

http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/diet.shtml

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice