UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which ones do you's use and are they any good at containment?

I have two from [email protected] as my boys started standing to pee and it was going over the top of a standard tray. they worked fine for a while but ive started noticing i have a wet kitchen floor again.

I had thought Diesel had just pee'd on the floor as he sometimes does this if Ashes has just used a tray and he needs to go (not often but occasionally) then yesterday, Diesel pee'd in the tray but i noticed it dripping down the seam. As they seem to stand up to pee now instead of squat like they used to, its running down the join of the hood and tray and creating a puddle on the floor.

I got another one last week for the new kitten and while the older two have used it ive not noticed any spills on the floor. I got the (what i thought was smallish) cheap one with the swinging lid thats easier to clean £13.90 i think, just so you's know which one i mean.

Also why would cats suddenly go from squating to pee to standing up?? their trays are cleaned of poop whenever i see it (smell it) and all litter taken out every 2nd day. Although when they used the standard one i first got the kitten they both went back to squating positions. Trying to work out their logic for it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We have this one for our 2 cats: Catit hooded litter tray Buy Catit Hooded Pan Grey - Catit - Cat Litter Trays, Catit Hooded Tray, Clean and Tidy Litter Tray £15.32 | OneClickPets.co.uk - Online Pet Pharmacy

Its brilliant, initially we used the tray only without the hood and then introduced the hood with the flap comepletly folded back and open and then finally the flap down.

I've never noticed anythign leaking out from it, and my cats really kick the litter about a lot when they go and its always stayed inside!

Its quite generous in space and easily fitted toegther/ hood removed for cleaning- would highly recommend it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Covered Litter Boxes: great selection at zooplus: Cat Toilet Cabrio

I recently bought some of these as my cats were throwing litter around everywhere and tracking it around the house.

I used them with the hood up originally (mostly as one of my cats was wearing a big cone collar and couldn't fit through the gap :D), and have now closed the hood but are leaving the flaps up while they get used to it - they were a bit freaked out by the flaps at first so introducing it slowly!

I have already noticed a massive difference, I don't have to hoover constantly! The litter stays in the box. I think they are enjoying them because it's much deeper so it's better for them burying.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got this one last week because Louie has always stood up on the side of the tray and used it that way, but recently we had a few misses and well, I wasn't a happy camper, and he didn't look to pleased either! So we invested, Louie is a big chap so I got a jumbo one and there is plenty of room for him to move and dig and whatever else!

Louie has taken to it straight away, had barely filled it with litter and he was in scratching about. Used it with the flap up for the first week and now it's down at first he was a little nervous but now knows it's fine! Definitely recommend!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Facemissing, thats the one i just got for my kitten! Its huge aint it. lol I will need to try a few, im fed up coming downstairs to puddles! had another one this morning. Ive got different cat litter to try in them which i'll change over tonight, i dont understand why they have suddenly changed their pee'ing habits. This all started before the new kitten arrived so its not because of him.

·
Don't do nothing. Do something.
7,159 Posts
Just wondering if could be litter related? What are you using and have you changed it recently? And, if they are standing up, are they spraying or weeing?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im using Catsan non clumping, ive changed it a few times before but not in the last year. im pretty sure they are pee'ing as it goes on for AGES and creates a BIG puddle lol

G

·
I am so glad I've ditched hooded litter trays! For a very long time we used wood pellet cat litter in an enormous hooded box, but it was a pain in so many different ways.
I then went on youtube to get some homemade litter box inspiration and that's when I came across this lady who used big boxes with very deep, very fine clumping litter. It seems perfect as she said she never had to dump a litter box! And when we moved house we had around 20 bags of litter we had to dispose of that we could never fit into our bins! We'd literally have one bin bag a day from 4 cats cos we'd have to dump the whole lot including parts that weren't wet or dirty cos it was so hard to separate from the soiled stuff.

So now I use a massive plastic tub from IKEA with around 5 inches of clumping litter. I don't know of any hooded tray that could take litter that deep and it has to be that deep to effectively work (Especially if you have big pee-ers like I do). We have that inside ANOTHER box (just a cardboard box) to prevent litter from being tracked or kicked out onto the floor.

If you have a problem with wees going outside of the box, then my advice would be to get a very tall box. My sister in law bathes my 3 year old son in a tub that's a good foot and a half high. 5 inches of clumping litter in one of those would mean your cat's head probably only just appears over the top. And this litter is so incredible at masking smells, that when I open the lined tub next to it where I put the sieved stuff, I could take a deep whiff of week old pissy cat litter, and it'd just smell of baby powder!! :D

Just my two cents, cos I love sharing our litter revelation with other people :) Might not be the advice you were looking for, but I would recommend an open, tall box over a hooded tray any day.

G

·
I got this one last week because Louie has always stood up on the side of the tray and used it that way, but recently we had a few misses and well, I wasn't a happy camper, and he didn't look to pleased either! So we invested, Louie is a big chap so I got a jumbo one and there is plenty of room for him to move and dig and whatever else!
I have a zebra print one of these which is the last hooded box I used. It's good, but I can't use it with my clumping litter as it's not deep enough and the wee goes onto the bottoms and sticks like bloomin' cement! Also, I got sick of wiping down mucky paw prints from the inside of the litter box which I had to do more than once a day if I didn't want smells.

It is massive though, so great for more than 1 or a bigger cat.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nexivred, that does sound like a good idea and i had thought of it, might do that in the future, problem is with a 12wk kitten he struggles to jump that high! i know that will only be for a few more weeks (dreding it already. lol) for the moment i got 2 of the hinged boxes from Zooplus, after cleaning all three trays out yesterday i cant believe how much easier it was to get into them without moving the lids completely. It did take about 8 scoops of litter to fill it back up though.

I know what you mean about the clumping stuff though, i know its clay bases but geez it sets rock solid!

G

·
Nexivred, that does sound like a good idea and i had thought of it, might do that in the future, problem is with a 12wk kitten he struggles to jump that high!
you could get something for a step for him. Mine like to jump onto the box I put the dirty clumps in, and then jump into the box. I have a bit of carpet for them to stand on when they get out as well as it helps with the tracking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.