Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hooded litter tray

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Izzy95, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

how can I get Inky to use one? She’s used to a normal tray but she kicks litter everywhere and I’d rather she used a hooded tray. However instead of using the litter tray last night she pooed on my bed at 3am :rolleyes: so not sure what to do now. I’ve heard people say to take the flap off, is that normally all that’s stopping them from using it? Really trying to avoid anymore poo on the bed instances. So far I’ve just taken the lid off but then it’s no different to an open tray

2. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Removing the flap is a good start. Is it possible the hooded tray is too small for her? Some don’t like the feeling of being enclosed even with the door off. You could try the corner one pets at home do, that is bigger inside. Alternatively you could see if a deep sided tray might work for her if she doesn’t take to the hooded one. I’m sure people on here can recommend good deep sided ones. My girl digs to Australia and covers everything with litter, so I feel your pain!

chillminx likes this.
  3. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

I had to take the door off Barneys - he couldn't get used to it

4. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I’d take the lid off to begin with.

Get her used to using it.

After a couple of weeks put the lid on minus the door.

Hopefully she’ll be used to using it and be happy covered.

I never put the door back on.

chillminx, Willow_Warren and Forester like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Door flaps on covered litter trays are anathema to most cats, I am continually puzzled why they are made that way tbh!

Is Inky a large cat @Izzy95 ? If so, a covered tray would need to be quite tall, say 46 cm, so she can squat in the upright and raised position cats use when they poo. I suspect that she was not able to do this hence the reason why she used your bed instead. She was giving you a message loud and clear, LOL. ;)

My females prefer their covered trays, but my boys prefer open trays with deep sides. I use the type of large plastic boxes that are sold as 'under bed storage' but some people use deeper boxes than that (without the lids) in order to stop litter being thrown on the floor. If the sides are high it is best to cut a cat sized doorway in one end for the entry/exit

6. jasperthecat

jasperthecat My best buddies.

We have two hooded trays, one a Curver (about £35 pound from Wilko) which is quite nice looking that we got for Jasper about two years ago when he first came to us and we placed his then open tray he was used to in the larger hooded tray to get him familiar with it and all was fine except he wouldn't go in if the door flap was on and has never done so to this day when we've tried again with him so we accept that he doesn't like the door flap in place and prefers the door to be off and we can live with that.

Moving on to Ollie. When he and his sibling brother first came to us, Ollie had a short lived tummy upset which sometimes ended up with him accidentally making a runny pooy mess around the edge of the open tray he used to as well as hurling litter everywhere when he'd used the tray to cover his deposits so I went out and bought a hooded one with the swinging door flap in place for him and within a couple of minutes of putting it down for him and his sibling to inspect, they were dashing in and out of it thinking it was great fun and we never had any further mess. Completely the opposite to Jasper with regard the door in place.

Ollie will use Jasper's covered litter tray without the door as well as his own with the door but Jasper still won't venture into Ollies though he would use if I took off the door or the complete hood.
    The covered tray I got for Ollie was also bought from Wilko ( something like only £10.50 or not much more and quite large) but even with the lid off completely, the shape and size means there is little or no chance of mess ending up outside if used as an open litter tray.

So my advice is that if there is a reluctance to use a hooded litter tray with a door then take it off. Both Ollie and Jasper will quite happily use the hooded tray without the door and Ollie will also use the one which has a door in place. I'd also place the open tray they're used to inside the larger hooded tray if possible to get them used to going into the hood tray in the first place.

Jasper is quite a large cat now and I think that if he did accept using his Curver hooded tray with the door in place he might find it perhaps a little cramped as he's got to this size but he even sticks his head out of the entrance while doing his business so I think he likes to know exactly what's going on around him.

We change both Jasper's and Ollie's litters every day without fail, even twice some days and we actually still put a regular sized open tray inside Jasper's Curver covered tray and they again are quite happy to use it like that and we put in only enough litter for them to do what's needed so no extra waste which can be expensive when changed every day.
    With Ollie's covered tray we again put in sufficient for him and he is quite happy.
    Neither are remotely bothered about which litter we use for them and while we try to stick with one particular make, we will use any other available if we run out and they don't care one bit.

7. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Thank you for the replies, it is the Wilko one that she has and I don’t think she’s very big, she’s quite short and not particularly fat, I’ve left the lid off for now, I’ll try taking the door off the lid over the weekend and see what she thinks but I’ll make sure the bedroom doors is shut first! I never knew cat ownership would be as fun as washing your sheets at 3am

8. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

One other question. How many trays do you have? May be that with an open tray she is happy to pee and poop in the same one but in the enclosed one maybe she wouldn’t go back in and had peed in there already? My girl will pee, wat h me scoop, them immediately go in the same tray to poop. I have 3 trays between 2 cats, plus they go outdoors. If it persists it might be an idea to add more x

9. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Oh yes - my lot hate to wee and poo in the same tray - although they will wee in a tray that someone else has poo’d In and poo in one that has wee in (as long as it’s not theirs!) Work that one out lol!!

Seriously, a min of 2 trays for Inky

Orla likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice