Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Homemade spay suit?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LittleEms, Jan 7, 2021.

1. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Hi all, Bee got spayed today and despite my requests the vet forgot to put the spay suit on her. When I asked about it they went and got me one but I can see from looking at it that it will be miles too big for her and it also doesn’t look very comfy. Almost like some sort of dungarees (pic attached).

I want one on her because she and Bugsy are quite boisterous. Despite my best efforts even an hour after bringing her home she is tearing around and leaping onto things and I’m worried she is going to pull her stitches.

Is there anything I can do to make a spay suit for her or should I try and get her into the vets one? It is definitely longer than her whole body so I really don’t think it will work.

5EB962BB-9AB4-48EB-8E76-5A04A072C17F.jpeg

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Could you try and get hold of one of the babygros or vests made for premature babies ?

3. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

4. LittleEms

She’s so tiny that the smallest ones will all be too big for her.
    Would it be okay to make one out of a large sock??

Im honestly at my wits end with her tonight. I don’t know if it’s the sedation wearing off but she has never been this hyperactive. She will not stop tearing around and fighting with Bug. Never been like it before. Plus someone let her in the kitchen while I was making dinner when I told them not to and she stole half a sausage and ate it before I could get it off her. Cats definitely don’t listen to vets advice do they!!

5. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I cut up a pair of my husband's favorite socks when Waffles got spayed (they were big enough to go around her). MVIMG_20190625_231036~2.jpg

Emmasian, ewelsh and LittleEms like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Have never needed anything like that after having a kitten or cat spayed.

Coming off the anesthesia does make them a little crazy acting. It can be nerve wracking. x

spotty cats and LittleEms like this.
  7. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Should have said that we only actually used this for the first night. Waffles was a bit crazy but our bigger concern was how much all the other tonks were grooming the wound. Once we got through the first 24 hours we didn't use it again.

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  8. LittleEms

Thanks everyone for replies. We went overnight with no mishaps (minus the sausage!) and the stitches look good this morning. She’s not interested in licking it so will leave the sock suit I think. She’s very sleepy this morning so hopefully she will be calmer today. Having a snooze on my dressing gown (pic below)

@lorilu Yes it was very worrying! She was bouncing off the ceiling, never seen her so hyper! I was worried she was going to tear some internal stitch and we wouldn’t see.

665AA497-AC01-45E6-8245-45C0D59D9FED.jpeg

white_shadow likes this.
  9. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Andre was hyper the evening of his neuter but then quiet for the next 2 days before returning to normal...

... yes all the post up vet advice is about cats being quiet not crazy! Lol! I came on here and asked.. it’s normal!

Hope all still going well

Hannah

LittleEms likes this.
  10. LittleEms

It’s their number one rule isn’t it! Keep them calm. Um, have they met cats?!!

She’s fine at the moment, had breakfast and very sleepy. Hopefully she stays that way today!

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Three of Sadie's kittens were neutered yesterday, back to normal by early evening. Over the years I've had several adult cats & kittens spayed and never needed to put a suit or collar on.

spotty cats, lorilu and LittleEms like this.
  12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I've just had two girls spayed and used a bib to stop them licking. It wouldn't have prevented them if they were determined, but in their case it was enough. I took the bibs off after the three day post op check.

One of mine was rather hyper when she got home. It was almost certainly a reaction to the vetergesic (pain relief) which is known for it.

ewelsh and LittleEms like this.
  13. StinWom

StinWom PetForums Junior

14. LittleEms

She’s not interested in the wound at all, just the fur around the shaved area as it’s a bit stiff with whatever they cleaned her with. So I think she will be okay without anything. It was the hyperactivity that was worrying me! At least now I know it was a reaction, she is a lot calmer today.

lorilu likes this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The one I remember most was my Tolly (Angel). He kept trying to jump up on the table, but he couldn't angle correctly. He was propelling his body straight up, so of course he didn't get anywhere except back down again. The look on his little face...such puzzlement! He could SEE where he wanted to be, and he would bunch his little body and jump, but got nowhere except straight up in the air and back down.

I don't plan to go through any more spay or neuter ops though. At my age, the next time I adopt, the cats will be old too, and already done. Queen Eva was my last and she's almost 11.

16. LittleEms

Ahh bless him. Bee is very good at jumping so she was flying around from counter to counter! She’s so much calmer today, phew!

I was actually originally planning on adopting an oldie but a friends cat had kittens (she didn’t get her spayed) and I took these two troublemakers instead!

17. Emmasian

Emmasian Mother of Pumpkins

If she does go bonkers again, is there any chance you could put her in a quiet room away from your other cat, with just the necessaries? With Freya I sort of turned the back bedroom into her space for a few days when I wasn't there to supervise. She missed the boys but was really rather stoic about the whole thing. I couldn't risk her zooming up the big tree again.

18. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Mine have always zoomed around after spaying (always flank spay) and it's not caused problems probably because the layers of muscle are separated rather than cut, though they do have stitches in them as well as in the skin. AFAIK some vets glue the skin now.

LittleEms likes this.
  19. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Senior

We had that exact red suit for Luna when she was spayed. I didn’t want to pay the vets prices for a second, so poor Nova had to have a camo one from Amazon! The popper side goes down their bum end, and the other end is like a turtleneck.

edit: We only used the suits for a few days. The little buggers wouldn’t leave the wounds alone and would try and lick each other’s. I had to go back to work, so leaving them in the suits was the safest option.
    88335669-C85F-434E-B4B1-80C23F596E72.jpeg 98190621-7E9A-4CF5-99E6-841937295255.jpeg E90A6EF9-227F-4B59-86B7-58C136F8A3A5.jpeg A2445B6E-EAE5-455C-B3E8-B5F790AF0105.jpeg

20. LittleEms

That makes so much more sense! They didn’t tell me how to put it on her.
    She’s not shown any interest in it so I haven’t tried to use it but that’s good to know.

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice