Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Homemade renal recipes?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Will Work for Cats, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Will Work for Cats

Will Work for Cats PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

My kitty was diagnosed with CKD stage 2, and she is also allergic to (as suspected) poultry. The vet doesn't know of any brands that don't utilise chicken as a protein (and they did not offer to help further), so I am looking for good, balanced homemade recipes. This is all new to me, so I am hoping someone can help! I really want to ensure she has the right balance of everything (e.g. taurine, omega, etc.) and also enjoys what she is consuming. She loves fish and shrimp of course; beef is a fairly safe choice as well. Any advice or sites where I can find a good recipe to test out?

2. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

There are definitely brands that dont use chicken,maybe check out the IBD thread.

Will Work for Cats likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

if you are willing to shop online there are plenty of wet foods for cats that do not contain chicken.

e.g. Anomonda Vom Feinsten for neutered cats Pure Turkey (from Zooplus)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/trays/523945

The same make has a Turkey & Trout recipe and a Turkey and Cheese recipe.

Also there are Turkey and Fish recipes in Granatapet as well as Veal & Rabbit and also Pure Veal

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/granatapet/wet/507806

Catz Finefood does a Lamb & Rabbit recipe, also a Veal recipe and a Game recipe (which includes venison)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats...es/catz_finefood/catz_finefood_pouches/365821

All the above are good quality foods and none contain chicken. They are also better value for money (especially the tins) than the better quality foods we can buy in UK pet stores.

By all means if you prefer, cook meat for her as well. The easiest thing is to add a completer to the cooked meat before serving, so she has the RDA of vitamins and minerals.

I use one called Felini Complete [for one of my cats], sold by Zooplus, but there are other makes. Felini Complete contains no chicken. (Note, not all supplements are suitable to add to cooked meat)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

4. Will Work for Cats

Will Work for Cats PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I'll check out those other brands on ZooPlus. The big issue is it's not just an avoidance of poultry but the breakdown of proteins. CKD cats have to have renal diets where protein is reduced and phosphorus is severely cut down. Finding something that achieves all three of these is proving impossible.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, I have had number of cats with CKD over the years and am well aware of the need for a reduced protein diet with low phospherous.

I assumed as you talked about feeding a home cooked meat diet to your cat (that would be high in protein and phos) you were intending to add a phospherous binder such as Ipakitine to the food. The binder can also be added to wet cat food.

A hydrolised protein cat food diet might be the answer regarding the food allergies (as the hydrolising process breaks down the protein molecules) but those diets are not low in protein or phospherous so you would still need to add a phos binder to it.

The incidence of feline food allergy seems to have increased so much in the last 15 years that I expect a cat food manufacturer will soon market a renal dietary food that is hydrolised and low in protein and phospherous. Meanwhile as you say, such a ready made food does not exist (as far as I am aware).

Annealise likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice